NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Wallman trade to me really does mirror the Gostisbehere situation here where the team overreacted to a bad season(s) & then devalued the said player in the process to the point they were paying to get rid of the player.
I guess you could say that, I don't recall such public discourse about it. Walman was never waived.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Walman's career is wild. Hard to point to many guys that went from legit prospect, to non-prospect, to NHL player, to fodder again.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I guess you could say that, I don't recall such public discourse about it. Walman was never waived.

Sure but in the sense Detroit essentially declared him terrible at the first sign of trouble & the rest of the league seemingly agreed with their assessment.

He was no doubt bad last year but he was good in previous seasons & it’s not like he’s that old at 28 & on a manageable deal with two years left at a modest cap hit. It’s worthwhile gamble especially when they were attaching a second rounder to it for really any team regardless of rebuilding or not.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Roenick before Mogilny is a choice.

Colin Campbell is in the HHoF. They could put in Dave Andreychuk as the only player to be elected twice and it still wouldn’t touch Ol’ Colin.

This is a guy who openly carried personal disagreements over into his career employed by the league. I don’t even care as much about the ways he tried to weaponize his position to help his son’s on ice career. But if you’re a sanctity of the game person, you should be livid. To me, it tells you everything you need to know about the hockey community that the shit he pulled with Marc Savard simply doesn’t matter. It’s a shit league and it won’t get any better until every last one of these pricks is dead.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Colin Campbell is in the HHoF. They could put in Dave Andreychuk as the only player to be elected twice and it still wouldn’t touch Ol’ Colin.

This is a guy who openly carried personal disagreements over into his career employed by the league. I don’t even care as much about the ways he tried to weaponize his position to help his son’s on ice career. But if you’re a sanctity of the game person, you should be livid. To me, it tells you everything you need to know about the hockey community that the shit he pulled with Marc Savrd simply doesn’t matter. It’s a shit league and it won’t get any better until every last one of these pricks is dead.
Funny. I messaged someone today that Colin Campbell might be the worst HHOF selection of all time.

I know why he's there, though... and it's a similar reason to why Ken Holland will eventually get there.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

This is a guy who openly carried personal disagreements over into his career employed by the league. I don’t even care as much about the ways he tried to weaponize his position to help his son’s on ice career. But if you’re a sanctity of the game person, you should be livid. To me, it tells you everything you need to know about the hockey community that the shit he pulled with Marc Savard simply doesn’t matter. It’s a shit league and it won’t get any better until every last one of these pricks is dead.
I'll have to look him up. No idea who he is.

To the bolded: It's frankly disgusting. When I started getting into following hockey 12 years ago I had no clue. Was hopeful that this sport was "different" in that regard. Reading about whathisface's legal troubles, and reading more about how there's a.....history. It's gross.

My only meaningful time in Canada I was working for a couple, and the mom was adamant about her sons not getting into hockey. I'm paraphrasing, but when I asked her why, she basically said, "Everything" I was surprised given both parents had athletic backgrounds.

Sadly, I get it now.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Funny. I messaged someone today that Colin Campbell might be the worst HHOF selection of all time.

I know why he's there, though... and it's a similar reason to why Ken Holland will eventually get there.

Oh, don't worry, that's nothing. We already know the final act of this planet, and it will be their fault. The universe will end when, with no sense of irony or shame, they elect Mike Milbury as a builder.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I think you only get ripped off for Farabee. I think he’s a 60 pt young player on a good deal for awhile. I’d keep him.

Yeah, on a decent contract for three more years that only gets better if you need to deal him down the road.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading him though, especially given Foerster's year, since that leaves you with three top-sixers and maybe a fourth if Brink takes a step.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Being the cover athlete for ESPN NHL was probably a factor.

a8b21b5e-aba4-11ed-aecf-02420a000198.webp

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Just posted about it in the Blouse thread.

On one hand, it just seems like another bought and paid for member in league circles fluffing up Fanatics like they all do but....

They are seemingly making the jerseys up in Canada in the same factory that they've been made forever. They're also readily offering the on-ice jersey to the public for the first time since Reebok first came into the league (pre Edge jerseys). I'll take that if they're not going to do a switcheroo in a year or two while they build up their own capacity.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Can't wait for these to just fall the f*** apart on players.

Isn't there a penalty for not having your jersey strapped in? Watch that penalty show up more often.
They're supposedly being made by the same factory that's made them for years. Only change in design for this coming year is no more dimples on the shoulders. Everything else is supposed to be the same material.

I say this as the #1 Fanatics hater in the world.

Reactions: Danko and Curufinwe

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

HHoF is not NHL run.... but yes Colin Campbell doesn't belong in there for the shit he did.

Reactions: BernieParent

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Let's just imagine how we'd roll eyes/laugh at KHL and say - ah, typical Russia - if they kept pouring money in franchise that clearly is not viable just because commissioner wants to prove a point (Yotes); a known referee-fixer (helping his son's team) was admitted into Hall of Fame (Campbell) etc.

Reactions: BernieParent

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Let's just imagine how we'd roll eyes/laugh at KHL and say - ah, typical Russia - if they kept pouring money in franchise that clearly is not viable just because commissioner wants to prove a point (Yotes); a known referee-fixer (helping his son's team) was admitted into Hall of Fame (Campbell) etc.
Campbell points more to a corrupt IIHF than the NHL.

That whole Arizona thing isn't going away. The last owner is going away though and he seems to have been seriously shady in every way not just hockey.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad