Prospect Info: [2024 - 5th] Ivan Motherbleeping Demidov (RW), SKA St. Petersburg (MHL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
We have 4 premium offensive threats provided Ivan fulfills his potential, which means we have the makings of two offensive lines.

We really need Dach to pan out, or to find a replacement for him because if he does we finally have options.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
2024-25 = KHL
2025-26 = AHL or NHL

Can we add a veteran Russian via UFA next year to help Demidov's adjustment to the NHL. Buchnevich might be a free agent or maybe we trade for Malkin who will be on the last year of his contract

Reactions: Chr1s97

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
Imagine in 5 years, Damidov is better than Celebrini

I hope they learned from Galchy and the Kostitsyn brothers. We need a Russian mentor for him. He is probably our most skilled forward since Alex Kovalev. We need to bring back Markov with the team. Markov could be a great mentor for him.
Lol, Kostitsyn and Galchenuck played with Markov. Why didn't he help them ?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think that after passing on Michkov last year, this was a somehow forced pick. People would have went bonkers if the Habs didn't take Demidov.
Having said that, this is good value at 5th overall.

Demidov is kinda difficult to evaluate because he didn't play at a very high level. Therefore, this isn't quite without risk. Still, he's probably, together with Catton, the forward with the highest offensive upside in this draft and I'm not sure it's necessarily lower than Michkov's. Unlike Michkov he also played along with the procedure of the NHL draft which is why, unlike Michkov, he wasn't on the Habs (and many other teams) no draft list. So the Habs get a player with probably similar upside but minus the red flags.

Curious to see how this works out but I agree that, wherever that may be, the Habs have to make sure this prospect gets to compete at a higher level next season.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Will he play on his off-wing like many Russian greats of years past? Will he shoot in stride like from the Russian school of hockey? Oh boy what an unexpected joy. Really really hope he works out.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We have 4 premium offensive threats provided Ivan fulfills his potential, which means we have the makings of two offensive lines.

We really need Dach to pan out, or to find a replacement for him because if he does we finally have options.
Yeah. Dach is probably the biggest question mark right now. If Hage can make it as a center, that selection could turn out to be a pretty shrewd move.

I wonder what's the plan for defense as well. Are we going to just wait for them to simmer, or we will start to bring in some established guys at some point?

Next season is probably still largely an evaluation phase, with the cap situation and so on, but this management does not strike me as a passive bunch.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Only thing that could top this is if he announces he’s not returning to the MHL/KHL next season, surely a brown paper bag of ‘incentiveness’ could accidentally be misplaced
I do wonder if there’s a way for Habs “to enable”
(Wink wink) buy out last year of MHL deal and let him get acclimated to NA ice w Laval

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
No forward since Kovalev could dominate and control the games completely.

Demidov has a real chance to become that.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I f***ing hope so

Matvei Michkov was impardonnable. I still hold it against them.

Ivan Demidov was a majestic pick at 5th though.
Not sure about that…a cherry picker who doesn’t even know what the Dzone is…. will be fun to watch Torts tear him to shreds “I don’t think he understands the game of hockey” …. fun times ahead in Philly

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I f***ing hope so

Matvei Michkov was impardonnable. I still hold it against them.

Ivan Demidov was a majestic pick at 5th though.
Matvei Michkov decided not to be cooperative, not to play along with procedures during draft season. You can like it or not but the way it works these days is that, as a draft eligible prospect, all season long you have to answer lots of questions, be it in written form, via phone/video call or in person. Scouting players is the one thing but in today's world, NHL teams also wanna know about the persons, about the character of the prospects they're drafting. If you just ignore NHL teams all season long that means you're rubbing lots of people the wrong way and you gotta live with the consequences. If Michkov's goal was to get drafted by Philadelphia then he achieved his goal. If he wanted to go earlier in the draft and avoid being on so many no draft lists then he should have been more cooperative. Habs weren't the only team to not wanna draft a player they weren't able to talk to all season long.

Bottom line I think is that by drafting Reinbacher and Demidov, the Habs made the best out of the situation.

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
This may have already been discussed in this thread but does anyone know if Demidov will be at our development camp? Or are Russian players heading back home immediately after the draft?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
No choice but to draft him at #5. I am very surprised that Anaheim picked Sennecke instead of Demidov. I am also very surprised Ottawa did not take Buium or Dickenson instead of Yakemchuk.
It’s not that strange, and they may be right. Takes vary.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
This may have already been discussed in this thread but does anyone know if Demidov will be at our development camp? Or are Russian players heading back home immediately after the draft?
Demigod said no as of now because he doesn’t have a Cdn visa….. I’m sure Molson can get Justin to pull some strings

Reactions: Schooner Guy

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Matvei Michkov decided not to be cooperative, not to play along with procedures during draft season. You can like it or not but the way it works these days is that, as a draft eligible prospect, all season long you have to answer lots of questions, be it in written form, via phone or video call or in person. Scouting players is the one thing but in today's world, NHL teams also wanna know about the persons, about the character of the prospects they're drafting. If you just ignore NHL teams all season long that means you're rubbing lots of people the wrong way and you gotta live with the consequences. If Michkov's goal was to get drafted by Philadelphia then he achieved his goal. If he wanted to go earlier in the draft and avoid being on so many no draft lists then he should have been more cooperative. Habs weren't the only team to not wanna draft a player they weren't able to talk to all season long.

Bottom line I think is that by drafting Reinbacher and Demidov, the Habs made the best out of the situation.
So after spending weeks and months and possibly years shitting on Michkov elsewhere, you come here to shit up this thread that's not about Michkov whatsoever. It's Demidov, an entirely different person and entirely different player and he's the Habs' player. Take an Imodium, for a love of god.

Reactions: DAChampion

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
In terms of pure talent....Demidov is the best draft player with the Habs since Guy Lafleur.

Richer was a great pure talent but he was drafted in the second round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad