2024 HHOF

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
i think the common misapprehension is willie o’ree wasn’t inducted because he was the first Black guy to play in the league. he was inducted, as a builder, because after he played in the league he leveraged his achievement to tirelessly do grassroots work to diversify the game.

so the comparison with inducting mogilny, as a player, for the unique distinction of being the first russian guy doesn’t square.

I get your point, but I still think Mogilny’s high highs as a player combines well with his remarkable journey to the NHL to create a strong Hall of Fame narrative.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
It's interesting that Roenick gets the call right as PLD gets shipped out of LA and thus for myself (and I'm assuming many other Kings fans) seals his legacy as the most unpopular Kings player of all-time... supplanting J.R. in that role.

I know his time with the Kings was just a footnote but he's no longer at the bottom for me. I'm sure it's not in any way related but the timing is funny. Somewhat amusingly, before Roenick, it was probably Rob Blake (again, for myself but also lots of others I've talked to on this board).

I guess there is also the occasional person who hasn't forgiven Mcsorely for the stick infraction in the 93 Finals, but they are rare these days.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
It's interesting that Roenick gets the call right as PLD gets shipped out of LA and thus for myself (and I'm assuming many other Kings fans) seals his legacy as the most unpopular Kings player of all-time... supplanting J.R. in that role.

I know his time with the Kings was just a footnote but he's no longer at the bottom for me. I'm sure it's not in any way related but the timing is funny. Somewhat amusingly, before Roenick, it was probably Rob Blake (again, for myself but also lots of others I've talked to on this board).

I guess there is also the occasional person who hasn't forgiven Mcsorely for the stick infraction in the 93 Finals, but they are rare these days.

Why is Rob Blake disliked among Kings fans? I wasn't around back then (or well, a child) so I am just curious.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
After turgeon got in, I believe roenick was the highest point player not to be in the hall.

That distinction now belongs to Bernie Nicholls. Actually, it's kopitar technically but I'm not including active players who are future locks.

Reactions: Hockey Stathead

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Roenick was greater as a "star" than as a player. Skilled in both arenas. Okay induction.

SHEA WEBER was a friggin' GREAT GREAT GREAT dman year after year but overlooked for awards (Nashville). He is Chris Pronger with less nastiness, less butt, more positional sense and more shot. Hell yeah he is a HHOFer.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I am surprised at the Weber criticisms here. When he was playing pretty much everyone viewed him as a future HHOFer. It isn't like people on these boards didn't see him play. Maybe a first ballot surprised me, but that's it. He would be one of those guys we'd constantly be saying should be in.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I am surprised at the Weber criticisms here. When he was playing pretty much everyone viewed him as a future HHOFer. It isn't like people on these boards didn't see him play. Maybe a first ballot surprised me, but that's it. He would be one of those guys we'd constantly be saying should be in.
Compared to some of the recent inductions, Weber was a slam dunk. Honestly, my biggest criticism of the process this year is that they didn't induct someone like Mikhailov or Maltsev with that extra slot. I know I've harped on that a lot, but I'm going to keep harping on it until they put those guys in or I die.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Does a single mention on the history board say that Weber should not be in the HHOF (in the hall they want or the hall we have ?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad