Mirtle: End is near for Hyman in Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
He's not as big a loss as people think sure you love him at 2.25 million but do you love him at 5-6 million? If You're honest the answer is no especially when you factor in his knee issues and the fact that he's played with Matthews and Marner/ Nylander his whole, is he going to be able to perform the same without players of that caliber on his line?

Even if he does end up in Colorado or Edmonton or Tampa, a place where he would have that caliber of player he still might not have the same chemistry

Zach Hyman is replaceable because Zach Hyman is depth, and no matter how good depth is it is, ALWAYS replaceable that's what makes a depth player a depth player they are ALWAYS replaceable
K

I have been trying to trade marner for years
Me too. Ever since the Columbus series. Him and Tavares should've been the two moved. We'd have a far, far, far deeper organization at this point.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
This was the last 3 years with the Leafs in the playoffs.

3 goals, 2 assists in 19 games.

View attachment 879302

Sure, we can say his job was to get pucks and then be a netfront guy.

He had 5 takeaways in those 19 games.

View attachment 879305

I think the Matthews/Marner/Hyman line dominated play most of the time but just couldn't finish (a common problem).

But Hyman's numbers here were terrible and everyone likes to pretend they weren't for some reason.

I like Hyman but the hypocrisy when it comes to Hyman and Marner is evident.
The team is butter soft and everyone suffers in the playoffs when it's the guys willing to fight that end up winning. Zach is a support player. He found a niche on a very talented team and now he's contributing in a big way in games that matter. We should be so lucky. But luck has nothing to do with it. We need real hockey players.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
In his last series with us, he had 1 point in 7 games...............

I was wrong about you being able to count well.

And as it's been repeatedly proven post-Leafs, the problem was very much the Leafs and not Zach Hyman.

Hyman without the Leafs -> playoff performer and point/goal producer
Leafs without Hyman -> continual playoff losers

I know you're trying not to take the L , but just accept it.

You should be used to all of them by now, again. What's another one?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
And as it's been repeatedly proven post-Leafs, the problem was very much the Leafs and not Zach Hyman.

Hyman without the Leafs -> playoff performer and point/goal producer
Leafs without Hyman -> continual playoff losers

I know you're trying not to take the L , but just accept it.

You should be used to all of them by now, again. What's another one?

Hyman's numbers went up and so did Marner's and Matthews'.

They all started producing more.

Maybe Hyman just wasn't a good fit here or couldn't handle the pressure, who knows?

The team is butter soft and everyone suffers in the playoffs when it's the guys willing to fight that end up winning. Zach is a support player. He found a niche on a very talented team and now he's contributing in a big way in games that matter. We should be so lucky. But luck has nothing to do with it. We need real hockey players.

I too wish we had McDavid.

I don't think anyone else can turn Hyman into what he is today.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Where's the Cody Ceci bump?
I don't have a single post in a Ceci thread with the keyword "Ceci" in it.

Couldn't find a player discussion thread for him in this forum either.

You're welcome to make one if you're so inclined.

I too wish we had McDavid.

I don't think anyone else can turn Hyman into what he is today.
Weren't you one of the posters arguing that Matthews is a better player than McDavid?

Is this you admitting you were wrong?

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I can’t read this because I refuse to subscribe to tripe, Hyman was the heart and soul of the Leafs, but Boy Wonder didn’t appreciate hard work that wasn’t flashy so he let him go, I hope he wins a cup snd I hope he brings said cup to Toronto snd rubs it in the Leafs faces……..
You can bypass the paywall simply by turning off the java.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's a tale on not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Bunting was a decent replacement, but we needed to find a way to keep Hyman and Bunting.

Either way, happy he's doing well.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Weren't you one of the posters arguing that Matthews is a better player than McDavid?

Is this you admitting you were wrong?

I'll argue he has been better in specific seasons and is a better two-way player.

I think McDavid has separated himself more in the last few seasons offensively though.

Don't recall flat-out saying Matthews is better.

You can go searching if you want, and I'll gladly say "oops, looks like I did, I was wrong."

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'll argue he has been better in specific seasons and is a better two-way player.

I think McDavid has separated himself more in the last few seasons offensively though.

Don't recall flat-out saying Matthews is better.

You can go searching if you want, and I'll gladly say "oops, looks like I did, I was wrong."
Not searching. Wasn't accusatory either. I just remember there were a few posters here who were adamant that Matthews was a better player than McDavid.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
We need to let this one go guys.... Just be happy for Hyman and move on.
Almost everyone I can think of is happy for Hyman.

So you think the people in this thread who wanted Hyman to stay just didn’t like Dubas and now the people who want Marner gone only want him gone because they don’t like Dubas?
Why do we have to choose?

Reactions: Menzinger

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Even Rob Brown was a 50 goal man playing with Lemieux. Take away McDavid and he’s a 20 goal guy. He made a great career choice to go to Edmonton. And if he wasn’t a Leaf before you’d probably never hear the constant chatter of him walking away from the prior team.

Reactions: HOTD and Menzinger

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
That question can't be answered in the abstract unless we know exactly what the other options are.

Ie if we can turn Marner into say picks and prospects and then sign Lindholm and Stephenson with the savings, that would turn us into a much more balanced team.

But if we have to absorb a bad deal or two in return for Mitch, and spend the rest of the savings on a couple of mediocre but overpaid UFAs (Tre signed a few guys like that in Calgary), then we get worse for the sake of "change".
Your downside scenario leaves me wondering if your balance scale includes a potential nine year NMC commitment attached to a keep Marner decision this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad