Series Talk: Minnesota Wild v Dallas Stars Playoff series thread | DAL Wins 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Look at something like NextDNS or Pihole. I haven't seen ads on this site in a very long time. Also helps get rid of a lot of the garbage on many of the other sites.
I still wanted to support the site and I'm not sure what exactly happens to ad revenue if it's blocked. For $12 annually, just decided to become a sponsor. Whew, that is so much better.

Go Wild!

• Love
Reactions: TaLoN and Sweetnut

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
omg...try to be a little realistic here. They just won't put a 6M player who has 67 points and leads the team in assists on the 3rd line. Evason plays him more in the playoffs than any other forward.

And Kaprizov isn't 100% healthy, don't make it even worse and force him to play with a guy he doesn't even know.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Biggest adjustments I would make for Game 3:

1. Gus over Fleury. This is obvious. Dean tried it and found out. Over and done with, but should definitely be remembered this offseason if the Wild lose in the 1st round. At some point the coach needs to be accountable for Bill Guerin's "it's about ****ing winning" comment. Guerin had a FANTASTIC deadline. This team has depth. Self inflicted wounds are throwing those superb moves down the drain. And if the "rumblings" that Guerin signed off on Fleury starting, then he deserves a lot of blame as well.

2. Nyquist on the wing opposite of Kaprizov. Zucc has not been good. I don't know if he needs a rest or if he's hurt or age is just taking it's toll. We need to see at least one game of Kaprizov with someone else. It's not going to be Boldy or Johansson, because we need some semblance of two scoring lines. So that leaves either Nyquist or Sundqvist. Nyquist is by far the best fit and honestly, his point totals and play driving deserve more time on ice.

3. Take Foligno off the second line. Foligno barely deserves to be in the lineup, let alone in the top 6. He's too slow. He's not skilled. He's your prototypical third liner. Get him away from any scoring line. Duhaime would have been a better option than Foligno. The smart move would be to have Gaudreau center that line. I don't know how we go into a game with Steel at 1C and Boldy, playing center for his first full game, at 2C :help:

4. Swap Merrill out for Goligoski. Goligoski is more of an offensive dman, and he should get a game.

5. Hope to god that Hartman and Eriksson Ek are ready to go.

My ideal lineup:

Kaprizov-Hartman-Nyquist
Boldy-Eriksson Ek-Johansson
Sundqvist-Gaudreau-Zuccarello
Duhaime-Dewar-Reaves

Brodin-Dumba
Middleton-Spurgeon
Goligoski-Faber

Gus
Fleury
I like it, all of it. Something´s gotta give

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
omg...try to be a little realistic here. They just won't put a 6M player who has 67 points and leads the team in assists on the 3rd line. Evason plays him more in the playoffs than any other forward.

And Kaprizov isn't 100% healthy, don't make it even worse and force him to play with a guy he doesn't even know.
He knows the entire team. He's played without Zucc before and did just fine. He's a big boy, he can handle it.
Zucc is getting old and losing effectiveness and should not be here long term anyway. Kap will play most of his career without Zucc and I;m confident he'll still have a great career.
Nyquist is a better player right now and will support Kap better right now than Zucc can.

The only person not looking at this realistically is the one with Zucc colored glasses. Everyone else can see it, why can't you?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Dean "Doesn't believe in matchups"
He's said that for years here.
He was interviewed this week saying he has preferred matchups but they are confident in their whole groups’ ability to defend. We also have years worth of evidence that he does line match so…

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Because I see it the way Evason does.
Yes. Evason treats playoffs the same as 82.
Zuc has been great every year and disappears in playoffs. I love Zuc but he does not drive the play. Draws the odd penalty but spends more time on his behind than not. Just too slow for the elevated playoff speed. Nyquist not real fast but can carry the puck and shield it instead of cross ice passes east west that do nothing.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He was interviewed this week saying he has preferred matchups but they are confident in their whole groups’ ability to defend. We also have years worth of evidence that he does line match so…
Dean repeatedly puts the 4th line out in their normal rotation, even if that means they face the oppositions top lines... he does this at HOME games when such things are easier to avoid. His efforts in line matching are minimal to non-existent.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Dean repeatedly puts the 4th line out in their normal rotation, even if that means they face the oppositions top lines... he does this at HOME games when such things are easier to avoid. His efforts in line matching are minimal to non-existent.
For pretty much 2 solid years he matched the GREEF line against the opposition's #1 when he could.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
If the 4th line can contain their top line, like they have done quite well all season, then it’s a huge win and your other lines get rested and better matchups. The post PK Zucc-Boldy-Kap line is another staple matchup he goes to all the time.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Last night was a missed opportunity. I'm not saying that the Wild would've won if Gus had started, but he would've at least given them a chance. The team wasn't playing great in front of MAF, but he needs to make the "simple" saves. The problem is, he's never been a positionally sound goalie, meaning he relies on his athletic ability to flop around the crease and make acrobatic saves. It becomes more difficult at his age to do so.

If I'm Guerin/Evason, I'm going with Gus the rest of the way. Live and die by him. If he is getting shelled in a game, by all means yank him. But he has to be the guy if we're going to get out of the 1st round.

And yes, the players in front need to play better as well. It's one thing to play a straight forward, physical game, it's another to lose your composure while doing so.

On to game 3, hoping for a better result.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Last night was a missed opportunity. I'm not saying that the Wild would've won if Gus had started, but he would've at least given them a chance. The team wasn't playing great in front of MAF, but he needs to make the "simple" saves. The problem is, he's never been a positionally sound goalie, meaning he relies on his athletic ability to flop around the crease and make acrobatic saves. It becomes more difficult at his age to do so.

If I'm Guerin/Evason, I'm going with Gus the rest of the way. Live and die by him. If he is getting shelled in a game, by all means yank him. But he has to be the guy if we're going to get out of the 1st round.

And yes, the players in front need to play better as well. It's one thing to play a straight forward, physical game, it's another to lose your composure while doing so.

On to game 3, hoping for a better result.
I posted this on the mains, might as well put it here too...

Fleury was panicking all night in net. After the supreme calmness of Gus 2 days before, you could see the difference in effect it has on the skaters.
The team was under siege in the 3rd and both OT's on Monday, yet there was Gus, controlling rebounds and freezing pucks when needed.
The team was under siege last night, yet there was Fleury giving away juicy rebounds and NOT freezing pucks when needed.

All of this adds to the pressure the team in front of him is already under.

A HUGE save can energize a team... Fleury couldn't provide.
Not giving up a soft goal after 2 goals in 11 seconds to make it a 1 goal game can maintain the momentum swing... Fleury couldn't provide.

Is Fleury the reason the team lost? Absolutely not. That falls squarely on the coach for putting Fleury in to begin with.

Reactions: The Enemy Within

Blue Ox

Let's Play Hockey!
Nov 5, 2019
North Star State
And Evason isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed…..see the starting goalie last game….
If Deano was manager of the Twins, he would have benched Kirby Puckett for the seventh game after his Game 6 Walk-off home run in the World Series.

I just don't understand not playing Gus last night. Not saying they would have won, but you don't sit a player in the playoffs after a great game.

Reactions: TaLoN

Bdub

Mar 27, 2021
Im sure Gus doesnt give one f*** anymore after being pulled. Hes definitely not gonna sign a contract here. Guaranteed they start Crappie flopper in game four.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

I think saying his play since February has been 3rd line quality is pretty accurate. He's got to be hurt or injured, but he also hasn't been making smart decisions with the puck.

Would you agree that you think Zucc is bigger than the team? That him playing with Kaprizov is more important than icing an arguably better lineup?

Zuccarello now has 1 goal 9 assists in 19 playoff games for Minnesota. That's a 43 point per 82 game pace. Not only is that concerning, it also makes one wonder if Zuccarello's inability to score goals is hurting Kaprizov too. Kaprizov has 15 playoff games with 10 goals 2 assists. That's a 66 point per 82 game pace and 55 of those points are goals. Kaprizov doesn't look invisible in the playoffs. He's had some bad turnovers, sure. Zucc has been both invisible for generating offense and had plenty of pretty egregious turnovers.

Reactions: TaLoN

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018

1. Gus over Fleury. This is obvious. Dean tried it and found out. Over and done with, but should definitely be remembered this offseason if the Wild lose in the 1st round. At some point the coach needs to be accountable for Bill Guerin's "it's about ****ing winning" comment. Guerin had a FANTASTIC deadline. This team has depth. Self inflicted wounds are throwing those superb moves down the drain. And if the "rumblings" that Guerin signed off on Fleury starting, then he deserves a lot of blame as well.

2. Nyquist on the wing opposite of Kaprizov. Zucc has not been good. I don't know if he needs a rest or if he's hurt or age is just taking it's toll. We need to see at least one game of Kaprizov with someone else. It's not going to be Boldy or Johansson, because we need some semblance of two scoring lines. So that leaves either Nyquist or Sundqvist. Nyquist is by far the best fit and honestly, his point totals and play driving deserve more time on ice.

3. Take Foligno off the second line. Foligno barely deserves to be in the lineup, let alone in the top 6. He's too slow. He's not skilled. He's your prototypical third liner. Get him away from any scoring line. Duhaime would have been a better option than Foligno. The smart move would be to have Gaudreau center that line. I don't know how we go into a game with Steel at 1C and Boldy, playing center for his first full game, at 2C :help:

4. Swap Merrill out for Goligoski. Goligoski is more of an offensive dman, and he should get a game.

My ideal lineup:

Kaprizov-Hartman-Nyquist
Duhaime-Dewar-Reaves

Brodin-Dumba
Middleton-Spurgeon
Goligoski-Faber

Gus
Fleury
Agree heavily with everything you said here except I swap Sunny and Duhaime

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019

My ideal lineup:

Kaprizov-Hartman-Nyquist
Duhaime-Dewar-Reaves

Brodin-Dumba
Middleton-Spurgeon
Goligoski-Faber

Gus
Fleury
Like that lineup. If I would put Foligno in at all it would be for Reaves. Both of them are pretty much the same player. Foligno is faster though, but takes more dumb penalties. Neither one provides much offense. Reaves has been a nice surprise though. I didn’t expect anything at all from him other than a fight or two.

If one of them stirs something up and gets suspended, play the other one….

Last edited:

Bdub

Mar 27, 2021
Whats the status on Ek and Hartman? Cant win a series without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad