Series Talk: Minnesota Wild v Dallas Stars Playoff series thread | DAL Wins 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So it was only one then. That´s why him being a 3 time Cup Champion is not as great as it sounds.

It was only one and even in that one he was not the guy that won the series. Fleury allowed 17 goals in those 7 games for a .913 sv%, while his counterpart allowed 13 goals for a sv% of .930.

Since Fleury's playoff debut in 2007, he's played in 168 playoff games (1st), has 92 wins (1st), but if you look at the 49 goaltenders who have played 20+ playoff games since then, he's 38th in sv% (.911) and 34th in GAA.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I'm not sure if I was saying it was the right or correct thing to do by playing them both, I just think it was inevitable based on the way the team played them both down the stretch. I don't think there was any way they were going to just stick with one goalie in this playoffs, regardless of how the one did in each game.

I guess they could have waited until they lost before changing, but my guess is they thought there's less pressure if you put someone in after a win than after a loss.

Not sure I really care about how all those other teams did it, because this team did it that way for most of the season and they were just trying to replicate that.

Again, not really saying that it's the right thing to do. It's just not a typical starter/backup situation. The way the team played just emphasized the decision in the worst way possible. I just wanted them to lose normally if they were going to lose.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
It was only one and even in that one he was not the guy that won the series. Fleury allowed 17 goals in those 7 games for a .913 sv%, while his counterpart allowed 13 goals for a sv% of .930.

Since Fleury's playoff debut in 2007, he's played in 168 playoff games (1st), has 92 wins (1st), but if you look at the 49 goaltenders who have played 20+ playoff games since then, he's 38th in sv% (.911) and 34th in GAA.
It would be interesting to find a way to check how many other cup winning goalies that had as poor or worse stats as he did in 09 when he, like you said, was the 9th best in % with .908

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not sure if I was saying it was the right or correct thing to do by playing them both, I just think it was inevitable based on the way the team played them both down the stretch. I don't think there was any way they were going to just stick with one goalie in this playoffs, regardless of how the one did in each game.

I guess they could have waited until they lost before changing, but my guess is they thought there's less pressure if you put someone in after a win than after a loss.

Not sure I really care about how all those other teams did it, because this team did it that way for most of the season and they were just trying to replicate that.

Again, not really saying that it's the right thing to do. It's just not a typical starter/backup situation. The way the team played just emphasized the decision in the worst way possible. I just wanted them to lose normally if they were going to lose.
It's only not a typical starter/backup situation because the team actively chose not to play the statistically better goalie as much as they probably should have.

From mid-January on, a typical starter/backup situation is what it should have been.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
COL: Kuemper 16, Francouz 7
TBL: Vasilevskiy 23

TBL: Vasilevskiy 23
MTL: Price 22

TBL: Vasilevskiy 25
DAL: Khudobin 25, Bishop 3, Oettinger 2

STL: Binnington 26, Allen 1 (24.5 minutes)
BOS: Rask 24

WSH: Holtby 23, Grubauer 2
VGK: Fleury 20

PIT: Fleury 15, Murray 11 (This was the season Fleury lost his job to Murray in mid-May)
NSH: Rinne 22, Saros 2

PIT: Murray 21, Zatkoff 2, Fleury 2
SJS: Jones 24, Reimer 1

CHI: Crawford 20, Darling 5
TBL: Bishop 25, Vasilevskiy 4

LAK: Quick 26, Jones 2
NYR: Lundqvist 25, Talbot 2

CHI: Crawford 23
BOS: Rask 22

There is no such thing as rotating goalies in the playoffs
Well I wouldn't say there is no such thing....it's just rare. We did it in 2003.

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
The Bruins are actually a pretty similar example this year.

Ullmark:
49 games
1.89 GAA

Swayman:
37 games
2.27 GAA

Whereas the Wild:

Gustavsson:
39 games
2.10 GAA

Fleury:
46 games
2.85 GAA

There's actually a much better argument to play Swayman than Fleury based on that. Sounds like they may actually have a question for game 3, but they sure didn't switch after their Vezina-caliber goalie dominated game 1.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018

It was inevitable because Deanius is an idiot and what we are witnessing is him willfully torpedoing the post season again. The guy is completely lost.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Which is further than we've ever gotten since....again.....I'm not for it. Just saying it has been done before is all.
Only difference is that one of those goalies hadn't proven himself to be the much better option throughout the entirety of the regular season.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Only difference is that one of those goalies hadn't proven himself to be the much better option throughout the entirety of the regular season.
Exactly. And if I recall, JL did go with the winning goalie until he struggled. Then he changed it up. Manny saved the Colorado series, while Roli saved the Vancouver one. The rotating worked for that situation.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
it is all on Dean for his decision to play him.
I think everyone agrees with this completely.

Messier and Chelios were pretty brutal on that decision last night. Messier said he's never even heard of any similar decision having been made before.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Messier and Chelios were pretty brutal on that decision last night. Messier said he's never even heard of any similar decision having been made before.

I really liked this quote from the Joe Smith article you posted

When the moment, the season, called for common sense, they tried to be the smartest guys in the room.

Reactions: BigT2002 and TaLoN

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I don't like Messier, so I hate agreeing with him so completely. I've never seen a coach give a clearly inferior goalie a game for no apparent reason in the playoffs before.

If there's a good reason, I still have no idea what it is, and haven't all year.

Reactions: TaLoN

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Goalie decision and shitty play last night aside, we are exactly where I was hoping to be going in to game 3 at the X. Hopefully ek and Hartman return, start gus, play smarter (stay out of the f***ing box dummies), profit. Head back to Dallas up 3-1. Let's go Wild.

Side note.... I hope HF is just raking in ad revenue and they will do something with it that benefits the site. This shit (the ads) has been egregiously bad.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Anybody know, did Dallas match Heiskanen against the Kaprizov line for the majority of the 2 games?
Yes, but he also just played an absurd amount and they also played the Robertson and Hintz line against them preferred too. We lost that matchup heavily, so hope Dean can get them away from that line where the turnovers will be much less costly. Heiskanen is going to be on the ice half the game either way so avoiding him is unlikely. But we can at least do better about not giving glorious chances over and over to their only real scorers.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Fleury backstopped them the entire way to the 2008-09 Cup win. He had a .908 sv%, which was 9th out of 10 goalies who played 7 or more games. Malkin and Crosby combined for 67 points in 24 games that

Last edited:

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Well I wouldn't say there is no such thing....it's just rare. We did it in 2003.
That’s true. How did it turn out in the finals? I trust Messier. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Probably would have lost with Hartman and Ek out anyway When they get 2-3 goals down they start pressing but 1-2 lines can’t get back in time and Dallas feeds off of the Wild press.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Side note.... I hope HF is just raking in ad revenue and they will do something with it that benefits the site. This shit (the ads) has been egregiously bad.

Look at something like NextDNS or Pihole. I haven't seen ads on this site in a very long time. Also helps get rid of a lot of the garbage on many of the other sites.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Biggest adjustments I would make for Game 3:

1. Gus over Fleury. This is obvious. Dean tried it and found out. Over and done with, but should definitely be remembered this offseason if the Wild lose in the 1st round. At some point the coach needs to be accountable for Bill Guerin's "it's about ****ing winning" comment. Guerin had a FANTASTIC deadline. This team has depth. Self inflicted wounds are throwing those superb moves down the drain. And if the "rumblings" that Guerin signed off on Fleury starting, then he deserves a lot of blame as well.

2. Nyquist on the wing opposite of Kaprizov. Zucc has not been good. I don't know if he needs a rest or if he's hurt or age is just taking it's toll. We need to see at least one game of Kaprizov with someone else. It's not going to be Boldy or Johansson, because we need some semblance of two scoring lines. So that leaves either Nyquist or Sundqvist. Nyquist is by far the best fit and honestly, his point totals and play driving deserve more time on ice.

3. Take Foligno off the second line. Foligno barely deserves to be in the lineup, let alone in the top 6. He's too slow. He's not skilled. He's your prototypical third liner. Get him away from any scoring line. Duhaime would have been a better option than Foligno. The smart move would be to have Gaudreau center that line. I don't know how we go into a game with Steel at 1C and Boldy, playing center for his first full game, at 2C :help:

4. Swap Merrill out for Goligoski. Goligoski is more of an offensive dman, and he should get a game.

5. Hope to god that Hartman and Eriksson Ek are ready to go.

My ideal lineup:

Kaprizov-Hartman-Nyquist
Boldy-Eriksson Ek-Johansson
Sundqvist-Gaudreau-Zuccarello
Duhaime-Dewar-Reaves

Brodin-Dumba
Middleton-Spurgeon
Goligoski-Faber

Gus
Fleury

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Goalie decision and shitty play last night aside, we are exactly where I was hoping to be going in to game 3 at the X. Hopefully ek and Hartman return, start gus, play smarter (stay out of the f***ing box dummies), profit. Head back to Dallas up 3-1. Let's go Wild.

Everything the same, if they could stop taking penalties would be huge help. Home crowd will help refs to catch a couple Dallas infractions hopefully.

63firebird

Apr 6, 2018
Biggest adjustments I would make for Game 3:

1. Gus over Fleury. This is obvious. Dean tried it and found out. Over and done with, but should definitely be remembered this offseason if the Wild lose in the 1st round. At some point the coach needs to be accountable for Bill Guerin's "it's about ****ing winning" comment. Guerin had a FANTASTIC deadline. This team has depth. Self inflicted wounds are throwing those superb moves down the drain. And if the "rumblings" that Guerin signed off on Fleury starting, then he deserves a lot of blame as well.

2. Nyquist on the wing opposite of Kaprizov. Zucc has not been good. I don't know if he needs a rest or if he's hurt or age is just taking it's toll. We need to see at least one game of Kaprizov with someone else. It's not going to be Boldy or Johansson, because we need some semblance of two scoring lines. So that leaves either Nyquist or Sundqvist. Nyquist is by far the best fit and honestly, his point totals and play driving deserve more time on ice.

3. Take Foligno off the second line. Foligno barely deserves to be in the lineup, let alone in the top 6. He's too slow. He's not skilled. He's your prototypical third liner. Get him away from any scoring line. Duhaime would have been a better option than Foligno. The smart move would be to have Gaudreau center that line. I don't know how we go into a game with Steel at 1C and Boldy, playing center for his first full game, at 2C :help:

4. Swap Merrill out for Goligoski. Goligoski is more of an offensive dman, and he should get a game.

5. Hope to god that Hartman and Eriksson Ek are ready to go.

My ideal lineup:

Kaprizov-Hartman-Nyquist
Boldy-Eriksson Ek-Johansson
Sundqvist-Gaudreau-Zuccarello
Duhaime-Dewar-Reaves

Brodin-Dumba
Middleton-Spurgeon
Goligoski-Faber

Gus
Fleury
Agree totally with all 4 points.
Foligno on pp and second line is madness.
No one is fighting.
No one is falling for intimidation.
Score goals. Stay out of box.
Win the game.
Moose is exactly that. A big slow moving boat anchor with limited puck skills.
All he knows is dump and chase. He’s too slow for top 6. I loved moose on a shut down line but Ek is needed to create offence. He’s the only player that consistently can get in slot and screen. At least Reeves knows he can’t skate and plays within himself.
Point shots with no screen are like an automatic face off= turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad