Minnesota Wild General Discussion X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Makes sense; though I am wondering what he is up to in regards with the wingers and defensemen. Like he's playing pretty close to the vest as even Russo hasn't really chattered a lot about him. I guess that's better than Paul 'I'm going to burn it all to the ground' Fenton where we ship out Greenway for a used puck.
This team is worse if none of Fenton’s moves are made. He may be a toolbox, but he got us younger, faster, and arguably more skilled.

Reactions: DonatoisDaddy

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
By seeing what/who is available to fill those holes.
I gotcha. I guess "kick back and plan for summer" was the wrong thing to say there, but I just meant that I think Guerin has room to be patient rather than forcing something to happen right now. I kind of assume that asking around about players is one of those things that GMs do constantly.

I 150% agree that priority #1 needs to be a center and that the deal needs to be made as soon as the deal can be made. Goalie is weirder because I do think we've got some better options there with Kahkonen and Robson and Dubnyk's kind of locked into place. But if there was a reasonable way to get a goalie out of (say) Pittsburgh? Go for it ASAP.

DonatoisDaddy

Sep 25, 2019
This team is worse if none of Fenton’s moves are made. He may be a toolbox, but he got us younger, faster, and arguably more skilled.
I said the day before the deadline that Granlund would be traded; I didn't think that would be the return, but I can say I was and am excited to see what Fiala turns into. I maybe a Fenton apologist, but I think that trade is going to turn into a huge win for us.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Evolving Hockey fixed their charts for rolling team numbers, and I thought these three summed up the season so far pretty well.

Expected Goals - Team's bread and butter, but the recent injuries have hurt.
qDzWScp.png

Save % - All over the ****ing place
nHR82ik.png

Shooting % - To Infinity, and Beyond!
7JNneIi.png

Wild11MN

First round losers
Sponsor
May 28, 2013
MN
Russo's gamer said Zucker has a more serious lower body injury and could miss a month. Wasn't he hit in the nuts on a dump in?

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The shootings percentage is not reassuring for those hoping for sustainable success. If we fall back even a little bit, the goalies have to pick up the slack, and I don’t know that I see that happening.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The shootings percentage is not reassuring for those hoping for sustainable success. If we fall back even a little bit, the goalies have to pick up the slack, and I don’t know that I see that happening.
I still think this team, when relatively healthy and getting okay goaltending, is solidly in the playoffs. Unfortunately neither of those two variables is really working in our favor.

But apparently we only have like 5 road games in the next two months, so maybe that'll be enough to get us through the rash of injuries.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Trying to give the guy a break for the obvious reasons, but Dubnyk is pretty lucky that Kuemper mind-f***ed himself last night and we were able to outscore his atrocious play. That's definitely not something that can be expected going forward.

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I still think this team, when relatively healthy and getting okay goaltending, is solidly in the playoffs. Unfortunately neither of those two variables is really working in our favor.

But apparently we only have like 5 road games in the next two months, so maybe that'll be enough to get us through the rash of injuries.
If staal is still the player he’s been playing like, and we get decent goaltending, we’re just as good as St. Louis. They might have slightly better forwards, but our depth is there, and our defense is better. It’s just not really sustainable long term due to the age of the team’s offensive drivers, and the cost of having the depth like this is young players like Donato and Fiala drawing the short stick on any given night.

EDIT: we’re sacrificing the development of Donato and Fiala by not letting them play starring roles, and the result of that is that this team very much needs to win now for it to be worth it, and I’m not sure I see it as possible.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If staal is still the player he’s been playing like, and we get decent goaltending, we’re just as good as St. Louis. They might have slightly better forwards, but our depth is there, and our defense is better. It’s just not really sustainable long term due to the age of the team’s offensive drivers, and the cost of having the depth like this is young players like Donato and Fiala drawing the short stick on any given night.
I think this is a semi-temporary problem, and if Zucker's out for a few weeks it shouldn't be a short-term problem either. Even if Boudreau insists on sticking with Johnson at 2C for some reason he'll have almost two straight months with last-change privileges, which should help to avoid the benchings we saw last night.

It'd be real nice to get one of Ek or Koivu back, too.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think this is a semi-temporary problem, and if Zucker's out for a few weeks it shouldn't be a short-term problem either. Even if Boudreau insists on sticking with Johnson at 2C for some reason he'll have almost two straight months with last-change privileges, which should help to avoid the benchings we saw last night.

It'd be real nice to get one of Ek or Koivu back, too.

I don’t think last change matters when Luke f***ing Johnson is centering that line

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Pretty sure Boudreau put that line together with intention of them not getting time in 3rd periods. If you re-did it a little bit and had, say, Fiala - Donato - Mayhew, it would probably be the same.

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Fiala-Staal-Hartman
Parise-Donato-Zuccarello
Greenway-Sturm-Kunin
Foligno-Rask-Mayhew

it’s that simple.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You keep Staal and Lizard together. You keep Parise and Fiala together. Once you get Ek back, you keep he and Greenway together.

I think you have to keep Suter and Spurgeon together. You keep Brodin and Soucy together till they cool off, at least.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the team started to play better once the lines were solidified. The injuries have messed with that a bit, so adjustments are being made on the fly. Guys like Donato and Rask get to change some minds on their worth, just like Soucy did.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
You upset because he detached your guy from Staal’s hip?

I'm not upset, in fact I'm still on the floor trying to pick myself up.

Seriously, if you want the best for the team you simply don't split the very productive Staal & Lizard duo.

Fiala has no business on the top line, or Hartman for that matter.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not upset, in fact I'm still on the floor trying to pick myself up.

Seriously, if you want the best for the team you simply don't split the very productive Staal & Lizard duo.

Fiala has no business on the top line, or Hartman for that matter.

Sorry, are you under the impression that that lines success is due to Zuccarello? Zuccarello is the third best player on that line when it’s healthy. He’s not better than Fiala. Your view of Zuccarello’s worth is delusional.

Reactions: BuiumSaveUs

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Sorry, are you under the impression that that lines success is due to Zuccarello? Zuccarello is the third best player on that line when it’s healthy. He’s not better than Fiala. Your view of Zuccarello’s worth is delusional.

Big part of it, yes. Simply because he's by far the best playmaker on this team, and will be very important going forward. Those are the facts, and that's why they signed him.

I have no problems with your mancrush on Fiala, but there's no need to bash better players just because Bruce won't put your guy on the top line.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Assuming the same injuries for a few more games:

Anas/Mayhew - Staal - Zuccarello
Parise - Donato - Fiala
Greenway - Sturm - Kunin
Foligno - Rask - Hartman

The bottom 3 lines have all had some success together and have clear roles. Boudreau would have two strong checking lines that aren't offensive black holes and one pure scoring line. He'd have to be careful with the deployments, but again that should be easier at home.

Zucker's a big loss, but Staal and Zuccarello have had strong enough chemistry that the third player on that line shouldn't need to be spectacular. Tom Kurvers admitted in his interview with Russo that the reason Anas hasn't been called up is because he's just not a bottom-6 player and there hasn't been an opportunity for him at top-6 wing yet. I'd argue that the same is more or less true for Mayhew; it hasn't stopped them from calling him up, but he's also not suited for a checking role. Give either guy their shot and see how it goes.

If they need to shorten the bench late, take the best guy that night from the 2nd line and move them up with Staal.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Fiala-Staal-Hartman
Parise-Donato-Zuccarello
Greenway-Sturm-Kunin
Foligno-Rask-Mayhew

it’s that simple.
Makes no sense to split Staal and Zuccarello. Fiala should be the 3rd guy with them until Zucker gets back. The problem is that Boudreau won't play Parise where he belongs because then he would have to limit Parise's icetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad