Minnesota Wild General Discussion X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see that there are a lot of options for BB. We're just shorthanded.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I do think practice is correct time to try something out; maybe it works, maybe (probably in this case) it doesn't. Even if they start the game with those lines I wouldn't be surprised if they are running as a 3 line (mostly) team after the start of the 2nd.

Something like:
Greenway/Staal/Zucc
Parise/Donato/Fiala
Foligno/Kunin/Hartman- if Strum, Johnson, or Rask is playing well then Hartman is bumped down.
Strum/Rask/Johnson-they can play rock paper scissors on the bench to see who plays center the next shift out.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Mayhew was sent back to the AHL today. It was more than a paper move, he's playing in tonight's game.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
LOL outside of Bartkowski and Belpedio, I have no idea who is on defense in Iowa. Lancaster? Ottenbreit? Register? Thompson? Atkinson? Warner?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You are probably right.

Also is it me or is Guerin really, really quiet? We usually hear something about Fletch or Fenton at this time and roster movements.

Well he did say he was content with letting the season play out, so

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You are probably right.

Also is it me or is Guerin really, really quiet? We usually hear something about Fletch or Fenton at this time and roster movements.
It sounds like he sent out feelers when the team was struggling early and I doubt that the market has changed much since then. With the team playing well and/or dealing with injuries there's not much impetus to make moves aside from shuffling guys between Minnesota and Iowa.

If I were him I'd be pretty happy to kick back, see what my depth looks like, and make plans for summer.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It sounds like he sent out feelers when the team was struggling early and I doubt that the market has changed much since then. With the team playing well and/or dealing with injuries there's not much impetus to make moves aside from shuffling guys between Minnesota and Iowa.

If I were him I'd be pretty happy to kick back, see what my depth looks like, and make plans for summer.
I can't disagree more with this approach. The best time to make improvements is before you're desperate to do so.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
With the team playing well and/or dealing with injuries there's not much impetus to make moves aside from shuffling guys between Minnesota and Iowa.

Makes sense; though I am wondering what he is up to in regards with the wingers and defensemen. Like he's playing pretty close to the vest as even Russo hasn't really chattered a lot about him. I guess that's better than Paul 'I'm going to burn it all to the ground' Fenton where we ship out Greenway for a used puck.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I can't disagree more with this approach. The best time to make improvements is before you're desperate to do so.
I meant more in terms of looking to fill holes, which is what has driven a lot of our in-season moves and associated trade rumors in the past. We're dealing with injuries, but no immediate roster holes that need to be filled (aside from in goal, arguably).

There are a number of teams that might be getting itchy to correct the course that they're on this year: Toronto, Tampa Bay, Florida, Buffalo, Edmonton, Vancouver and San Jose all come to mind. Nashville too, but same division. I kind of take it as a given that GMs talk regularly and I'd hope that Guerin already has a pretty good idea of where his long-term needs are. If something does present itself now would be a great time to pursue it.

To put it another way: if a trade became available right now I'd expect it to have more to do with the other team/GM than a development in Minnesota.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Basically, if Guerin can adequately address long term needs this season, ie. a deal arises for a 25ish year old top 6 center, then you consider it and possibly pull the trigger on it, but he shouldn’t be making deals to try to save the season or make a run.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I meant more in terms of looking to fill holes, which is what has driven a lot of our in-season moves and associated trade rumors in the past. We're dealing with injuries, but no immediate roster holes that need to be filled (aside from in goal, arguably).

There are a number of teams that might be getting itchy to correct the course that they're on this year: Toronto, Tampa Bay, Florida, Buffalo, Edmonton, Vancouver and San Jose all come to mind. Nashville too, but same division. I kind of take it as a given that GMs talk regularly and I'd hope that Guerin already has a pretty good idea of where his long-term needs are. If something does present itself now would be a great time to pursue it.

To put it another way: if a trade became available right now I'd expect it to have more to do with the other team/GM than a development in Minnesota.
The Wild have pretty glaring holes at both top 6 center and goaltender. Each are both long and short term problems. Guerin should be working on both right now.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Wild have pretty glaring holes at both top 6 center and goaltender. Each are both long and short term problems. Guerin should be working on both right now.

I disagree that goaltending is a long term solution that we need to be working to address right now.

It also may be the case that he is trying to address the lack of top 6 centers, but no other teams are willing to play ball. I also don’t think he should necessarily rush out and acquire the first top 6 center that becomes available.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I disagree that goaltending is a long term solution that we need to be working to address right now.

It also may be the case that he is trying to address the lack of top 6 centers, but no other teams are willing to play ball. I also don’t think he should necessarily rush out and acquire the first top 6 center that becomes available.
Yeah, I'm not trying to imply that Guerin is or isn't doing anything right now. I'm not even trying to say that he has to make a trade in the near future to prove that he's doing his job. Just saying that the "wait until the offseason" idea is not a good one. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad