Value of: Mike Matheson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Not defending the proposal you’re replying to but are Habs fans still playing the “unless it’s a first, we have no reason to trade him” game?
When said about Kovasevic or other unproven kids, it's a bit silly, but Matheson is the #1D playing 22+ minutes a night, and isn't on an expiring contract. So yes, a first as part of a "blow my socks off" package is likely required.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
When said about Kovasevic or other unproven kids, it's a bit silly, but Matheson is the #1D playing 22+ minutes a night, and isn't on an expiring contract. So yes, a first as part of a "blow my socks off" package is likely required.

He’s a 1D on a losing team. And considering winning and losing in the NHL is heavily influenced by the quality of your D group, what does that say?

Not dismissing him entirely but given the influence D have on winning and losing and Montreal being lottery contenders, certainly you understand the scrutiny.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
The last thing Montreal needs is another potentially decent top 4 d prospect.
I mean a young skilled early20s dman that can play in the nhl but can’t crack a heavy top4 lineup for a playoff push +, for a top 3 dman in Matheson. Habs have some d prospects like Hutson or Reinbacher but aren’t ready.

Reactions: JRichard

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Any playoff team need a decent top 3 dman? I could see Montreal trading Matheson to a contender for a young potential decent top 4 dman or top 6 forward +.
Matheson is Habs top dman by a mile judging by TOI and production.
Whats the + exactly on top of the young top 6 forward? A first pick or a cap dump? Makes a difference.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Matheson is Habs top dman by a mile judging by TOI and production.
Whats the + exactly on top of the young top 6 forward? A first pick or a cap dump? Makes a difference.

What does it mean to be the top D on a last place team?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Lots of takes in here acting like he's the same player he was at 23. A #2D at worse making under 5 mil with term left is not worth a 2nd round pick or an alcoholic who is literally still in rehab.

Matheson would be a good target for a team that can't commit to a rebuild or lacks depth on the left or has no d to run a PP. Ironically he would have been a better target for Pittsburgh than karlsson.

Habs would be one spot out of a wildcard in the west and have 11 teams below them currently while harboring several major injuries.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Lots of takes in here acting like he's the same player he was at 23. A #2D at worse making under 5 mil with term left is not worth a 2nd round pick or an alcoholic who is literally still in rehab.

Matheson would be a good target for a team that can't commit to a rebuild or lacks depth on the left or has no d to run a PP. Ironically he would have been a better target for Pittsburgh than karlsson.

Habs would be one spot out of a wildcard in the west and have 11 teams below them currently while harboring several major injuries.
Nevertheless. And on that same token, it’s not resoundingly true he’s a 2D on the good teams in the west.

Reactions: McJedi

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
it can mean Zach Werenski, Thomas Chabot, Rasmus Dahlin, Vincent Dunn.

Doesnt matter what his rank is on his team.

Cant wait for playoff teams fans to offer those young top 6 forwards + for MM.

i might be wrong but i dont think they will like their names all that much.

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
it can mean Zach Werenski, Thomas Chabot, Rasmus Dahlin, Vincent Dunn.

Doesnt matter what his rank is on his team.

Cant wait for playoff teams fans to offer those young top 6 forwards + for MM.

i might be wrong but i dont think they will like their names all that much.

You’re saying he’s as good as Dahlin or Werenski?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

Harboring several major injuries? Drama queen much?
Dach hurts, who else is major: Newhook? Savard?
Suzuki, Caufield, Matheson, Juraj, Matheson, even Monahan played all 28 games, Anderson, Kovacevic, Evans, all 3 goalies healthy, Guhle missed 4, Amber is healthy at this point but plays in Laval for some reason. All others like Harris, Dvorak, Pinard can be replaced by depth guys without anybody noticing.

Lack of depth is the issue here.

edit: unless you count Price and Wideman as injured and missing 56 games already…

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
On a good team and in a realistic and ideal scenario, Matheson is more of a complementary dman than a leader of a d-corps.

And he shouldn’t play much special teams. He’s a puck moving/rushing dman who isn’t particularly great offensively or defensively.

Kind of a weird player but definitely not a bad one, but he’s being overrated in here. He’s not someone who would be valued around the league as a bonafide top pairing dman.

Montreal should keep him, seems to have found a home there and he wouldn’t be valued as highly by other teams

Reactions: wej20

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Eh, he’s okay but not great. Streaky and largely putting up good numbers because he gets lots of ice time as a result of playing for a bad team. Any team that gives up more than a 2nd + B prospect will probably regret it.
Monahan is better than Chiarot or Savard. Chiarot went for a 1st, 4th and B prospect. Monahan will return more than either.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If it helps Girard's situation, maybe trading him to MTL to be closer to home.

Something like Girard + Tatar for Matheson + Monahan/Evans
I don't know those players well enough to judge but Habs pass. We want the pick to flip at draft. Also trading Matheson lowers us in draft from 10 or so to around 5th. He's good defenseman with long term control.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
He was a cap dump to make salarys work for Petry. I’d hardly call a player used to match salary “Playing well”
No he was not. Hughes wanted him specifically and the Pens refused at first. This was well documented by Hughes himself. Get your facts straight before spouting off BS.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I dont think EDM has any interest, but I would absolutely not trade Matheson for a 1st and broberg...we have like 7 D prospect better than Broberg, it doesnt move the needle at all... Id rather keep matheson as a Vet presence for the remaining of his contract honestly. He seems to be very motivated and I wouldnt be shocked if he has another career year
I remember Montreal fan saying Brook ( I think that was his name). was better than Bouchard offensively. If 1/2 your D prospects make the NHL you will be lucky. Also base on what are you assuming they are better than Broberg ? Playing in lower leagues? Broberg looks great in the AHL and on the other side Draisaitl looked bad in the AHL.

I know all fan bases have a few fans that go overboard on value but Montreal has them coming out of the wood work.

Wouldn't trade Florida pick it was going to be a top 5 even when everyone was saying Florida would get it going.
How many 1st were Montreal getting for players that got very little in return?
How many over value Anderson while fans of other teams were calling his contract an boat anchor ?
Remember Montreal fans trying to trade Price to Edmonton after he missed a season and many were arguing he would be back. Has not played a game since.

Have said the above. While I don't think Broberg has much value we aren't trading him for something we don't need ( Nurse , Ekholm and Kulak left side) and we aren't trading him for a mid round pick as the odds of them making the NHL is lower then Broberg chances.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
View attachment 761508

he'll probably be at 175 pounds next year , only 19 pounds to get to Quinn size

Does Quinn gets thrown around like a rag doll ?

Also Hutson knows how to dodge these big hits

My guess your a hater
When has he ever dodge a hit by bigger faster NHL players. If going by low leagues was the golden standard no team would have misses on drafting.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Harboring several major injuries? Drama queen much?
Dach hurts, who else is major: Newhook? Savard?
Suzuki, Caufield, Matheson, Juraj, Matheson, even Monahan played all 28 games, Anderson, Kovacevic, Evans, all 3 goalies healthy, Guhle missed 4, Amber is healthy at this point but plays in Laval for some reason. All others like Harris, Dvorak, Pinard can be replaced by depth guys without anybody noticing.

Lack of depth is the issue here.

edit: unless you count Price and Wideman as injured and missing 56 games already…
That's exactly why the injuries are major. Savard is a major injury when the replacement is Lindstrom who shouldn't be in the league. Newhook is a major injury when Stephens is the call up.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Matheson continues to produce some of the worst analytics of a high ice time defender in the NHL. He's terrible in his own zone with a expected goals for vs against of -8. Which is quite literally one of the worst in the entire NHL. He's got the 4th highest expected goals against of any player in the NHL, but the other three have much higher expected goals for.

When Matheson is on the ice, the other team is dominating the scoring chances.

The idea this guy carries a lot of trade value is so hilarious. He's not nearly good enough to supplant a PP1 QB on any contender. And that's all he's good at/for.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Matheson continues to produce some of the worst analytics of a high ice time defender in the NHL. He's terrible in his own zone with a expected goals for vs against of -8. Which is quite literally one of the worst in the entire NHL. He's got the 4th highest expected goals against of any player in the NHL, but the other three have much higher expected goals for.

When Matheson is on the ice, the other team is dominating the scoring chances.

The idea this guy carries a lot of trade value is so hilarious. He's not nearly good enough to supplant a PP1 QB on any contender. And that's all he's good at/for.
Power play TOI/GP league leaders: Theodore, Makar, Josi, Quinn Hughes and… Matheson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad