Value of: Mike Matheson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
exactly. Matheson will be tough to trade since anyone good already has at least one and probably two better puck movers/defenders than him in their top 4. Making his AAV hard to stomach unless they send back an equal level contract to the Habs.

Injuries are probably their best bet to find a team that would be able to take him on by using LTIR. That's certainly not an unheard of scenario.

But a good, playoff caliber team calling the Habs to say, "we really need Matheson, here are some picks for him and no, we don't need to send back any contracts you don't not want"

That ain't happening.
Carolina just gave Orlov 7.75 for 2 years to play on the third pair.
But, he's also a policy insurance if someone goes down on the top 4.

For some teams the term will be much more important then the cap hit. We can easily take back an expiring contract back too. But, this thread is pointless because Matheson ain't going anywhere for now.

IMO, much better invested to go for a defenseman like Orlov/Matheson to play on your 3rd pair, then going for a winger like Kane/Tarasenko to play on the 3rd line.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Good luck with Hutson at 148 lbs playing defense in the NHL. :noway:
You're out of date.At last reference he was at155.Remember this is the guy who showed up at the combine with medical documentation saying he had a condition where his growth was delayed. We have not heard if the growth plates have closed yet and then the filling out can procede.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Type of player that plays good in one spot but when he goes into another system where there are better players ahead of him, he’ll struggle.

Buyer Beware.

Wasn't he on the second pair in Pittsburgh and playing well ? He was playing 18 min a night on average. He played on only three teams in his career, what are you alluding to ? He had difficult years in his last two years in Florida, but since then has been playing relatively well.

Shouldn't be playing on your first pair like in Mtl, but should be a good second pairing PMD.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Wasn't he on the second pair in Pittsburgh and playing well ? He was playing 18 min a night on average. He played on only three teams in his career, what are you alluding to ? He had difficult years in his last two years in Florida, but since then has been playing relatively well.

Shouldn't be playing on your first pair like in Mtl, but should be a good second pairing PMD.
He was a cap dump to make salarys work for Petry. I’d hardly call a player used to match salary “Playing well”

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
No reason for Montreal to move him, we need someone more veteran with all these kids we have coming up

Reactions: Steeler23

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I would love to see the trade return on Ol' Powerbomb. He is doing well in Montreal, and honestly I don't see why they move him...short of a deal too good to turn down.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Is it just me that doesn't see matheson as a high value player? He's decent offensively.. not great defensively.. almost 30.

I can't see him getting huge value back. Like a decent prospect or a mid first? If I'm wrong.. well wouldn't be the first time.
Thanks for saying what many people want to say, but didn’t think it was worth the replies from Montreal fans…

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Could Dallas be interested ?

MTL : Matheson + a LHD prospect like Harris/Trudeau/Norlinder
for
Dallas : Bourque

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He was a cap dump to make salarys work for Petry. I’d hardly call a player used to match salary “Playing well”

And look how Petry worked out for Pittsburgh. Matheson was decent here, exceptional skater who was still prone to brain farts but less brain farts than I expected.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would love to see the trade return on Ol' Powerbomb. He is doing well in Montreal, and honestly I don't see why they move him...short of a deal too good to turn down.
Montreal deep on left D and Matheson bring big return. I am hoping for a first and a solid prospect.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Eh, he’s okay but not great. Streaky and largely putting up good numbers because he gets lots of ice time as a result of playing for a bad team. Any team that gives up more than a 2nd + B prospect will probably regret it.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Not defending the proposal you’re replying to but are Habs fans still playing the “unless it’s a first, we have no reason to trade him” game?
Montreal does need to move a defenceman some point. Matheson is currently their best offensive defenseman so the deal needs to make sense and add actual value.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
Any playoff team need a decent top 3 dman? I could see Montreal trading Matheson to a contender for a young potential decent top 4 dman or top 6 forward +.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Any playoff team need a decent top 3 dman? I could see Montreal trading Matheson to a contender for a young potential decent top 4 dman or top 6 forward +.
The last thing Montreal needs is another potentially decent top 4 d prospect.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Do people realize Matheson is from Montreal, and is thrilled to be playing at home?
I mean, tons of proposals are made to send vaguely French sounding names to Montreal, but he is an actual local player.

Not saying this makes him untradable, just that Montreal is in no rush to move their #1 defenseman with no obvious replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad