Mike Hoffman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
That penalty shot attempt really pissed me off.

He's a fringe NHLer. Enough of the hot dog ******** and just fire one.

Pretty sure he did the same thing in a pre season game in Winnipeg a few weeks back.

You are quite the judge of hockey talent basing your opinion of a player's ability on a penalty shot.

Hoffman isn't the first player nor will he be the last to have a weak attempt in a skills contest (penalty shot or shootout).

I recall a player named Stamkos losing the puck with no shot on goal in a recent shootout attempt. Guess that must make him a fringe NHLer as well. :sarcasm:

Hoffman has speed and skill, has better game instincts than Greening and obviously significantly more speed than Michalek. He just needs to play to become more comfortable and confident in the NHL.

Mac just needs to adhere to his "the best players play" and NOT follow his current mantra of the best players play, but all 23 players on the roster need to play regardless of how they play (exception Cowen).

otown

Sep 4, 2009
kid played well.... let's see it on a consistent basis... then we'll start waiving/trading people

The Hoff needs to be in the lineup for at least 5 consecutive games to see what his potential is. Pulling him in and out of the lineup just keeps having him set the reset button over and over.
Timing, getting used to playing with your linemates and establishing confidence, are all part of the process.He has earned the opportunity.
If other guys have to pay the price for this........ so be it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Consitency, it's all about consistency

Can he be as effective as he was last night on a regular basis? He got benched for two games in a row, he had to have a strong game.

Now comes the real test

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Dont understand how he can be a fringe guy. Was a beast last night

By far his best game.

He isn't a priority prospect so just looking good enough some nights and underwhelming other nights makes it tough to make the team. Last night was different.
More like last night would be great but he just needs to consistently up good efforts. I think he will.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
The fact that he's below average height and weight for an NHL player, late bloomer, and a low draft pick means most fans and even coaches and GM's assume this guy will never be any good, regardless of how he plays.

I wonder WTF people were watching even last year when they insisted he isn't an NHL player. He's ridiculously fast with good hands and playmaking ability. He may not turn into a star but he's going to be a useful player in this league.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I agree he needs to have a stretch of games where he plays. There will be ups and down, no doubt. I don't think he can have games like last game all the time. But I think he's an NHLer. If Michalek is an NHL this year, then Hoffman is.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, we definitely need to see a strong 20 games + before anointing the kid. He's off to a good start this year, but he has to keep it up.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
An inconsistent Mike Hoffman is still more effective than Colin Greening though.
True. And truer now than last year.
The fact that he's below average height and weight for an NHL player, late bloomer, and a low draft pick means most fans and even coaches and GM's assume this guy will never be any good, regardless of how he plays.

I wonder WTF people were watching even last year when they insisted he isn't an NHL player. He's ridiculously fast with good hands and playmaking ability. He may not turn into a star but he's going to be a useful player in this league.

Fair. He appears to accelerate faster than karlsson. Last night was the first night I've seen him use his speed on almost every shift. Winning races, pressuring defensively, etc.

Hope it served as an "ah-ha" kinda game for him. That's how he needs to play...it won't be a multi point night but he'll help this team if he's using his speed likevthat

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If Mike Hoffman had consistency he'd be a 1st line guy. Having said that, he'll probably do better on this version of the Ottawa senators who are running three scoring lines though.

He's a tweener.

Not good enough for a fulltime scoring role, but not good enough defensively to consistently put out against top lines without getting abused.

One game hasn't changes my opinion of him, and 5 games has shown me nothing more than the same Mike Hoffman from last year. A lot of energy, but not much results. Some people said he was snakebitten last year, but I don't buy it. Quality shots vs. quantity of shots.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Yeah pretty much. He's pretty aggressive defensively and is just as active in stick checking as stone. Stone just has a bit more strength on him.
The guy has most tools. And most nights I see him put it together to be pretty effective. The puck is just having a hard time going in for him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If Mike Hoffman had consistency he'd be a 1st line guy. Having said that, he'll probably do better on this version of the Ottawa senators who are running three scoring lines though.

He's a tweener.

Not good enough for a fulltime scoring role, but not good enough defensively to consistently put out against top lines without getting abused.

One game hasn't changes my opinion of him, and 5 games has shown me nothing more than the same Mike Hoffman from last year. A lot of energy, but not much results. Some people said he was snakebitten last year, but I don't buy it. Quality shots vs. quantity of shots.
I think quality of shots has as much to do with your linemates than yourself. If he's getting a high quantity of shots while playing with players not so offensively gifted then that's a huge plus. That means without him that line would be giving up more shots(more time in our zone). A high quantity if shots is a plus. No matter what. Especially when it's coming from your 4th line. Even 3rd.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
You are quite the judge of hockey talent basing your opinion of a player's ability on a penalty shot.

Hoffman isn't the first player nor will he be the last to have a weak attempt in a skills contest (penalty shot or shootout).

I recall a player named Stamkos losing the puck with no shot on goal in a recent shootout attempt. Guess that must make him a fringe NHLer as well. :sarcasm:

Trying a move like he did when you're a fringe NHLer who was just sat for two games is what bothers me. Just go in there, pick a corner and fire one. Keep it simple. Be effective. Dont try to be cute and piss away an opportunity like that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Trying a move like he did when you're a fringe NHLer who was just sat for two games is what bothers me. Just go in there, pick a corner and fire one. Keep it simple. Be effective. Dont try to be cute and piss away an opportunity like that.

Let the creative players be creative. With that attitude on his goal maybe he doesn't try and go to the back hand put it uptake. Maybe he just tries a shot too early. Or tries to force a pass across.

Karlsson2Turris*

Man if that dominant performance by Hoffman last night still doesn't please some of you, I don't know what to say... :facepalm:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

It went in, there's no if it didn't ... It did. Can't be more effective than that. If he would've missed it, people would go crazy about him missing another chance and now people complaining about an awesome play protecting the puck and beating the goalie. The important thing is the shot resulted in a goal.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
It went in, there's no if it didn't ... It did. Can't be more effective than that. If he would've missed it, people would go crazy about him missing another chance and now people complaining about an awesome play protecting the puck and beating the goalie. The important thing is the shot resulted in a goal.

Actually the guy is talking about the penalty shot attempt where he tried a weak Forsberg move. Indeed, it wasn't pretty even I could have saved it, should've went for a simple play there. Sick game by Hoff last night though and a very nice goal, great speed that helped us a lot, both on offense and defense.

Let's see if he can keep it up, put up PTS everywhere, the NHL is the hardest place to do it.

BigBush*

Man if that dominant performance by Hoffman last night still doesn't please some of you, I don't know what to say... :facepalm:

Hey it was a terrible penalty shot, he's allowed to point that out.
I was watching the game with my buddy's in Alberta and was hyping up Hoffman, telling them how sick he was before the penalty shot. Then he did that move and everyone started laughing at me.

Awesome performance last night though. I knew about his hands but didn't realize he was that fast

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hey it was a terrible penalty shot, he's allowed to point that out.
I was watching the game with my buddy's in Alberta and was hyping up Hoffman, telling them how sick he was before the penalty shot. Then he did that move and everyone started laughing at me.

Awesome performance last night though. I knew about his hands but didn't realize he was that fast

Did they keep laughing after he scored the game winner?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com

He's a tweener.

All we really care for is a guy that can add something to the 3rd line.

Last night was nice but I don't think many are really thinking were gonna see that consistently.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I don't see a reason Hoffman can't be a 2nd line winger down the road for us. He is too fast and too skilled not to be able to put up points in this league, if he can stay healthy. He might be streaky or look invisible one game and great the next, but a lot of scoring wingers are like that. Once he gets comfortable and if Mac has faith in him, I think he'll take his game to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad