Confirmed with Link: Mikael Granlund for a 2nd Round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think people will be mildly surprised with Granlund. I feel he will be similar to Rak. And a lot of you were underwhelmed at that trade last year.

That just isn't a need. If anything we need 5 on 5 production.

Defense, a good backup goalie, and getting tougher. Not a bad 5 on 5 player who has 2 years left making 5M.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think people will be mildly surprised with Granlund. I feel he will be similar to Rak. And a lot of you were underwhelmed at that trade last year.
I'm usually Mr. Optimism with our moves but I can't spin this one.

He has had worse on ice impacts this year than Kasperi Kapanen or Jeff Carter. We basically acquired a worse Kasperi Kapanen, paid him 5 million, and are slotting him in with Danton Heinen and Jeff Carter.

If that line works it's gonna be a f***in miracle lol

McGinn - Carter - Heinen

What do I win?
The sad thing is McGinn has been better than Granlund this year lol. Our third lines gonna be worse. tragic

the penitent

Feb 20, 2023
I'm still having a hard time seeing the plan (such as it is) here - there has to be more coming, And the thought of Hextall flailing around even more scares me. Is it possible that they deal from their defensive depth (Joseph, Ty Smith, etc.)?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
That just isn't a need. If anything we need 5 on 5 production.

Defense, a good backup goalie, and getting tougher. Not a bad 5 on 5 player who has 2 years left making 5M.
Rather have Granlund than Boeser, if those were the options. I agree he wasnt a huge need, but the trade is what it is. I was fine with leaving our top 6 alone.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well there's your heinously overpriced OMGTHIRDLINER... and a center, at that. Locked up at a cool 5M for years.

And here I thought more of you would be pleased!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Who was underwhelmed with the Rakell trade last year? That was probably the one trade that is universally applauded by this board (partially because it also meant getting rid of Sully's pet ZAR).

It also filled a need. We needed another top six goal scorer. Rakell was that.

This trade? This trade makes no sense given what our needs are.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Who was underwhelmed with the Rakell trade last year? That was probably the one trade that is universally applauded by this board (partially because it also meant getting rid of Sully's pet ZAR).

There were a lot of people who were underwhelmed with Rak being the main addition last year. And a lot more were upset with his new contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

There was a lot of shit being thrown around Rakell last year because his JFresh card wasn't great and they traded ZAR (an analytics darling) for him.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020

stone cold steve austin WHAT? | Stone cold steve, Steve austin, Wwe steve  austin

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Here are my thoughts on this...

The Pens needs are: Get younger, stronger, bigger and try to save cap for next season

What Hexie does: Get's a 31 y/o, average sized player that has another 2 years at $5M...with no retention.

"Look I got us some cap space by waiving guys and moving Teddy, better fill that up with someone older"

I know that Granlund will help the team now, but every other contending team got at least some retention...not Hexie. Now, I will admit that I don't know much about Granlund, but if he's not a better PK player than Teddy, than this is at best a lateral move.

Last edited:

RSPens

May 25, 2015
TWO more years at $5m...
Yeah, I just noticed that I was off by a year...makes this even more wonderful. A new third line centre that can't win face-offs and costs the teams $5M for 2 years.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
So, anyone want to explain to me why Granlund is getting thrown onto the PK?

Or anything about any of these brilliant moves and player usage? It's above my pay grade.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Wow, Jeff Carter 2.0. /yuck
At least Carter can win a face off occasionally and even though that is the only reason, he has also played PK, whereas Granlund is less than 50% on face off and according to the Capfriendly chart hasn't played enough PK to even register. Just wonderful GMing by Hexie...:ha:

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I don't understand why this team cannot learn from the past -- you don't bring in any plugger older than 25-26 years old --- WHY would you do that? Let alone a guy who is VASTLY overpaid and who makes 5M a year.

Now, you're 100% gonna lose Jake. It's all bad man, all bad.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
He has more points than Zucker this year
One more point while playing top line minutes and top PP and 2 more games than Zucker. Also he only has 9 goals to Zucker's 17 and is a wonderful -16 (I know it's basically a useless stat) to Zucker breaking even.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad