Confirmed with Link: Mikael Granlund for a 2nd Round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
This talk about softness is kind of funny because I thought they played a pretty great physical game against Nashville.

My only complaint in terms of toughness about that game imo was that Ruuta went too far to defend Geno for taking a clean check, resulting in a bad penalty.

Sure, you never turn down an offer for a good player with grit, but teams that have that generally want to keep said players.
Sure, Rutta's slash was "dumb" in that there was no chance he would get away with it, but I was very glad to see it. So sick of seeing the big 3 get beat on without any retaliation. It seemed like that penalty galvanized the Pens. Bet Malkin appreciated it, too.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Another boring good guy.

Aw dangit..... Now we have to like the guy and cheer!

Seriously the whole getting closer to the players that social media has created has ruined the essence of sports/booing etc. Now guys get booed if like, they get discovered cheating or something. This was a stupid ass move by a lazy ass GM. Let us boo.

Reactions: vodeni

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Someone talk me off this ledge
This guy could be worth it IF he’s really good at zone entries on the PP and Sullivan will use him to replace Jake on PP1…now those are two big ifs lol, but maybe he’s our answer to solving some PPs problems we have and if so, he’ll be worth it in the POs should we get there…a functional PP in the POs and good goaltending is the only thing that will allow us to win a round

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It'd be great if Granlund regains his form here and turns into a productive middle 6 guy. But that doesn't put the Pens in the same league as the big contenders, and his cap hit is a little onerous, especially considering he is 30...I really just don't get what Hextall thinks he's doing with this trade. There are few instances when I'd say a 2nd round pick is definitely more valuable than a good NHL player, but frankly, I think this is one of them.

Reactions: Andy99

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Someone talk me off this ledge

I know that is is probably said in jest but regardless... It's not that important. Hockey should be fun. It's a hobby. Don't let it take over your mood and your life. Hope for the best, and the best part about sports - there's always next year :)

Reactions: Night Shift

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
It'd be great if Granlund regains his form here and turns into a productive middle 6 guy. But that doesn't put the Pens in the same league as the big contenders, and his cap hit is a little onerous, especially considering he is 30...I really just don't get what Hextall thinks he's doing with this trade. There are few instances when I'd say a 2nd round pick is definitely more valuable than a good NHL player, but frankly, I think this is one of them.

I think everyone can agree that a single move in the middle-6 wasn't remotely the priority. I feel the pulse was between one of these 3 [with coaching a more...tenured issues]:

- Bottom 6
- Goaltending
- Defense

...with higher end top 6 in a distant 4th place. So....we went out and got a tweener middle-6 guy at the cost of our own under-performing tweeners? Really strange indeed.

Genuinely feels like the single move a contender would make (minus all the waivings/blueger trades). We like our guys so we trade a 2nd for a tweener player at retention. This is probably the strangest trade deadline ever for the Pens (based on what the hell direction we might be taking) - let alone for the rest of the league.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
People who think Hextall is a Flyer plant are giving way too much credit to a man who on several occasions chased players around the ice trying to kill them with his goalie stick.

He's just an idiot who's in the boy's club.

Like a caveman with a club! :laugh:

I reckon both being a caveperson on skates and Mario lighting him up nonstop broke what little brain cells he had…

Reactions: NewAgeOutlaw

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I know that is is probably said in jest but regardless... It's not that important. Hockey should be fun. It's a hobby. Don't let it take over your mood and your life. Hope for the best, and the best part about sports - there's always next year :)

...and the year after that. Where we'll be spending 6M both years on Jack Johnson and Mikael Granlund!

I kid I kid.

iu

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I think people will be mildly surprised with Granlund. I feel he will be similar to Rak. And a lot of you were underwhelmed at that trade last year.
I like Granlund the player. In the right usage he can setup goals.

The problem lies with strapping another 5M winger for years onto this pile. Especially when he doesn't have a skillset that helps us finish shots.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think people will be mildly surprised with Granlund. I feel he will be similar to Rak. And a lot of you were underwhelmed at that trade last year.

We can all hope. But he's still 5M for another 2 freakin years. Where is he playing? Geno has been on fire lately - is he getting more performance from Geno?

Sid's had no problems producing either. So either you dick with whatever chemistry that top 6 already has - or you're putting 5M into the bottom 6 basket with...what? Like, Rust makes sense to move down - because he can't produce ANYTHING. He's side car bob. Without Sid or Geno he's basically useless. I feel the logic is that somehow Zucker improves the bottom 6 or he does. Not a lot to work with down there. Which is why I agree with the folks who think he's ultimately the replacement for Zucker and we're calling this season a wash.

Would be happy to have foot in mouth here...but he's just like every other tweener we've hated. Yeah, might have a goal/assist tonight -then disappear for 20 games.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I like Granlund the player. In the right usage he can setup goals.

The problem lies with strapping another 5M winger for years onto this pile. Especially when he doesn't have a skillset that helps us finish shots.
I think he will bounce between the 15-20 goal pace, which I am fine with. If hes doing that and putting up 40 assists, thats good value. Hopefully he unlocks Zucker and Geno. Also should help out on the 2nd PP unit.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
We can all hope. But he's still 5M for another 2 freakin years. Where is he playing? Geno has been on fire lately - is he getting more performance from Geno?

Sid's had no problems producing either. So either you dick with whatever chemistry that top 6 already has - or you're putting 5M into the bottom 6 basket with...what? Like, Rust makes sense to move down - because he can't produce ANYTHING. He's side car bob. Without Sid or Geno he's basically useless. I feel the logic is that somehow Zucker improves the bottom 6 or he does. Not a lot to work with down there. Which is why I agree with the folks who think he's ultimately the replacement for Zucker and we're calling this season a wash.

Would be happy to have foot in mouth here...but he's just like every other tweener we've hated. Yeah, might have a goal/assist tonight -then disappear for 20 games.
We havent been happy with Rust on and off this season. Push him down, create depth.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
We havent been happy with Rust on and off this season. Push him down, create depth.

I agree. I'm just saying that - objectively - Rust is not a guy who drives scoring depth. He plays the same ice that Carter does. So even if you make Carter the Cullen'esque guy as 4C, Rust still requires someone to generate for him. He's got 1 self-creation move in his toolbox and that's driving the net and diving over the goalie while praying the puck crosses the line.

I like small things about DOC - but he plays with horse blinders on. So yeah I really don't see how Rust does anything down there.

Now the argument about IMPROVING Geno/Zucker, sure. We've been all-in chips in on our top 6 all year. Problem is, is that improvement enough to STILL have a bag-of-ass bottom 6? It's like, a luxury move that I keep saying - not a necessary move. Geno/Zucker were so-so, but still producing. That bottom 6, goaltending duo, and defensive cohesion/production were bigger holes. It is what it is. Dude is here and we'll watch it unfold. I'm sounding more charged up at this point than I am. We had our runs and everyone thought performance would have lead to the downfall in our twilight years - not an idiotic front office. Both net the same endgame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad