Confirmed with Link: Mikael Granlund for a 2nd Round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Cons:
He's a small forward who likes to pass a lot. He's more of the same type of forward that we have a ton of.
He's on the wrong side of 30, which is again, something we have a ton of.
He's declining, at least for this season.
He wasn't used on the PK a lot this season.
That cap hit.

Pros:
He should either bolster the bottom six himself or push a player down who will, which hopefully fills a need for the team.
Even in a down year for him, he still scored 36 points in 58 games.
His acquisition cost wasn't much.
Prior to this season, he was supposedly a very good PKer. It's possible that his not being used on the PK is related to his (potential) decline, or maybe Hynes has gotten worse as a coach?
If he could somehow be a Zucker replacement in the top six, that cap hit doesn't look so bad.
His nickname is 'Granny', which is fun.

Other:
Teams that make big splashes at the deadline don't usually win the Cup. The last time that a team made a big splash and won was 2014. I think that this time it will be a team that makes a big splash who wins, simply because so many did, but the fact remains that it's usually the teams making smaller moves who win.

Define splash? Tampa habitually spends big even if it isn’t on the biggest stars. Instead it is on positions of need and to lower cap-hits.
Colorado last year got Lehkonen and Manson with the same mindset. That’s the last three cup winners.

We try to get names without considering first what we need/checking what the coach wants/thinks. Iginla on forward.

Analytically, Pens seems a Mickey Mouse shop.

Reactions: Andy99

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Going to sleep pissed off at hockey last night wasn’t good for me. I try not to get that invested anymore, but I couldn’t help it last night. This one sent me over.
Could we not have gotten Minnesota or something to at least pay 25%? Nashville, with their 18 million in cap space, couldnt even retain a dollar? We waived 3 players in a span of 3 days and traded Blueger to open space for................. Mikael Granlund ?

Remember when everyone was mad because of Depres for Lovejoy? Or Hornqvist for Matheson?
Did i miss the part where either of those were even good trades? This comparison makes me sad

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Did i miss the part where either of those were even good trades? This comparison makes me sad
Matheson and Lovejoy did a lot more for us that Horny and Depres did for their teams. Granted, this was largely because of injuries in Depres' case but still.

NeonKnight

Nov 14, 2008
You all are nothing but cynics. Hextall's move was pure genius.

Attachments

• CupAhead.png
    CupAhead.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 2

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Matheson and Lovejoy did a lot more for us that Horny and Depres did for their teams. Granted, this was largely because of injuries in Depres' case but still.
If the bar for the Granlund trade is the success of the Matheson and Lovejoy trades, this does not bode well my man.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I hate this so much.

All I wanted was for a player that brings a physical element and/or a real goal scorer. Instead we got a soft, pass-first winger who's eating up a bunch of cap for the next 2.5 years making that even harder to do. He's not a bad player and the value is even fair-ish, it's just not what this team needed at all. What they needed was Chychrun or Miller. Crazy to think 24hr ago, both of those were a real possibility.

Can't wait to watch Sullivan make it worse by misusing him as part of a shutdown line with Carter.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nashville fan here, Granlund is fine as a 2nd liner, as long as you don't try and play him for half the game like Hynes did you'll be alright.
Why does he play more than Duchene? Is he one of those guys that plays the full 2 minute PP because he doesn't come deep in the zone on breakouts?

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
I understand the frustration around here but come on guys. You don't even know what they have in mind with the lineup. Most of the bottom 6 is gone and there are a lot of options to the lineup now. Someone stated the change from going to a more passing team rather than a forechecking team. I'll give it at least 10 games and then I'll judge this trade.

Reactions: Night Shift

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
AmazingSatisfiedGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

Fans leaving every PIT game for the next 5 years

I understand the frustration around here but come on guys. You don't even know what they have in mind with the lineup. Most of the bottom 6 is gone and there are a lot of options to the lineup now. Someone stated the change from going to a more passing team rather than a forechecking team. I'll give it at least 10 games and then I'll judge this trade.
It's pretty clear that Nothing is in their "minds"

Reactions: Night Shift

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think we could really match or beat Ottawa's offer for Chychrun. He was a top 10 pick and Arizona wanted a similar pick to try and replace him long-term. 2 later 1sts (like 2 20th overall picks) might be equal to an 8-12 pick (where Ottawa is probably going to pick) depending on the draft and the team but I think in this case it'd take more than 2 1sts to match Ottawa's top-12 pick. Might've taken 3 1sts or an equivalent, like 2 1sts and Pickering, if they weren't totally hell-bent on just getting 1 high pick.

That one graph someone posted a while back on draft picks and production/GP shows a steep drop-off from the first half to the 2nd half of the 1st, and 2nds are almost worthless in terms of NHL future.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I hated the deal at first. I still don't like it but have backed off a bit. The guy has some value, he has some skill that's definitely the case. It just...it doesn't make ANY sense for this team at this time. There's 1,000 reasons why. I'll root for him and hope he succeeds.

You come at the TDL knowing you have a bottom 6 that can't score, that can't defend but still get 70% d zone starts, and has zero grit. You put in all the legwork to clear cap so you can target a 5 mil player that can score a bit, can't defend, and has zero grit.

You're "supposedly" in on a 24 year old top pair dman but don't get him because you don't want to spend assets to take back 4.6 mil with no retention. Instead, you spend a 2nd to take back this 31 year old player at 5 mil, with no retention.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
So older, slower and soft....and with multiple years of term. Sounds about right for this dumpster fire we got going here. Straight up awful. The whole front office, coaching staff and most of the team needs nuked.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
We should have been given a 2nd round pick to take that disaster of a contract. I really thought all of the Hextall hate was being blown way out of proportion, but now it isn't. This trade really f***s us over.

Reactions: wgknestrick

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

We play “a certain way”, you know. If the coach has changed nothing about that the entire year, it is hard to expect it to change because of the arrival of one Mikael Granlund.

I’m looking forward to watching the Tampa game (always fun ones), but more than that I am scared of what Hex might do next when he tags on to the hockey world having gone “whud?” at this deal.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It’s the contract that ticks me off. For a 2nd rounder there should have been retention. Assuming Hextall knows you can do that.

He’s once again hurt his cap flexibility when it is critically important.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
between liverpool and the penguins fsg dont really look as smart as they did a few years ago

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
between liverpool and the penguins fsg dont really look as smart as they did a few years ago

I don't think they've been here long enough to say that overall even though they're misguided by Sally at this time.

I do think they are paying attention to the moves made.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Shouldn't they have tried Puus for a stretch before adding a Grandlund? Similar player, one costs 5 million less.

We should probably let Puustinen play more than 1 game in the NHL before we declare that he is a "similar player" to a guy who has over 450 points over 10 years in the NHL.

Like, I agree with the complaints about usage of youth in the organization but none of us has any idea what kind of player Puustinen could be at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad