Confirmed with Link: Mikael Granlund for a 2nd Round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think the benefit with this is Granlund has always been a better W than C.

For the record…

Matheson when he wants to just friggin dominates his way into the offensive zone like a boss. I don't really follow those things anyway, I rather just watch.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Matheson when he wants to just friggin dominates his way into the offensive zone like a boss. I don't really follow those things anyway, I rather just watch.

Granlund was the original Kaprizov in Minnie.

There’s a reason Nash originally moved Fiala for him.

Question is did he fall off because of age or because John Hynes is one of the worst coaches in the world and Nashville was even worse than Minnesota in terms of allowing offense.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Granlund was the original Kaprizov in Minnie.

There’s a reason Nash originally moved Fiala for him.

Question is did he fall off because of age or because John Hynes is one of the worst coaches in the world and Nashville was even worse than Minnesota in terms of allowing offense.
Hopefully Sully wont steal his soul.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I have no idea.

I don’t like the trade or line. But at this time dude is a Penguin so I’ll root for him.

I’d roll..

Jake - Sid - Rakell
Zucker - Malkin - Granlund
Heinen - Poehling - Rust
DOC - Carter - Arci

I’d also pray there is another move coming..
That might be the only saving grace for Rust. Put him on the third line and hope it lights a fire under his ass. If it doesn’t, it’s time to cut ties with him too.

The only players this team should be looking at right now are guys that will give it their all every game. We can’t have guys taking weeks off at a time anymore.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think the benefit with this is Granlund has always been a better W than C.
Whether he's center or wing won't matter a lick if Sullivan uses him on the third line with Carter at center and the same type of defensive zone deployment.

That's the problem. It's like Hextall and Sullivan didn't even discuss what they need. Hextall brought in an offensive playmaker while Sullivan seems to want a player that can plug into the third line as a defensive ace.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Whether he's center or wing won't matter a lick if Sullivan uses him on the third line with Carter at center and the same type of defensive zone deployment.

That's the problem. It's like Hextall and Sullivan didn't even discuss what they need. Hextall brought in an offensive playmaker while Sullivan seems to want a player that can plug into the third line as a defensive ace.

I mean Granlund in his younger days was in Selke talks.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It is nothing unsusual that we are told the player sucks or has warts when we make a move, surely, but outside of the Jack Johnson contract I don't recall the same level of "WTF was that" from fans of our newbies prior team.
Didn't fans say the same about Heinen, Rodrigues, Sheahan, Ceci and Gudbranson?
All of them had good years here. Even Kapanen did, when Leafs fans mocked him after the pickup. 30 points in 40 games when we won the division, I believe? Top ES producer?

Gotta shut out the noise from obnoxious, dumb fans and come to your own conclusions.
Let's look at career averages to get a better feel when making long term projections. He averages 53 points per 82 games (good). 16 goals per 82 games (very weak).
Pretty durable, which is nice. He's unpredictable, with big highs and lows.

1677737774407.png

That rate is concerning for me, since I don't think they'll give him PP1 here, and he'll be relied on to bring some scoring at ES in a defensive role (if he's 3C). For example Schmaltz was a career 2.15 or something, which is a big reason why I was high on him. It's a shame, because Granlund's a better PP player than Guentzel and he likely won't get the chance to help the top unit.

My expectations are low with how he'll be used here, and I think a lot of people have every right not to be happy right now. But I am allowing for the possibility for one of his positive spikes in play in a new environment. Chemistry is next to impossible to guess.

Reactions: Andy99

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I want nothing to do with him trading POJ, Petts, or our 1st. I’d rather the new gm/front office deal with all of that after he’s been fired.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Come on, now. He finished 13th in Selke voting *ONE* time back in 2016-17 at age 24 and never once got another Selke vote after that.

I just mean he isn’t really as bad as those charts make him seem.

I would not be surprised to see him get knocked out tomorrow and ala Rakell tho.

I hate this deal.

I want nothing to do with him trading POJ, Petts, or our 1st. I’d rather the new gm/front office deal with all of that after he’s been fired.

You think he’s going to be fired?

FSG has allowed him to bank roll like 100+ mil in one year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I would not be surprised to see him get knocked out tomorrow and ala Rakell tho.

I hate this deal.
I didn't say he was bad? I was saying he's not well suited to play the role Sullivan has the third line playing. Being average defensively is still a fish out of water with the usage Sullivan gives L3.

So either Sullivan has to run 3 offensive lines or Granlund's going to get caved in.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

I hate this deal.

You think he’s going to be fired?

FSG has allowed him to bank roll like 100+ mil in one year.
I don’t think they’re going to make the playoffs. I think that gets him fired.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The only line we consistently give heavy O zone starts to is Geno's line. Granlund will have to play with Geno I guess, and Rust to L3 with Carter. The issue being Carter and Rust are both defensive liabilities, and we just waived our best defensive LW in McGinn. And we just traded our shut down center.

I guess this is GMRH getting even for the "this is our roster" comment from Sully.

Good luck coach, you're gonna need it.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Good passer....that's it
Soft
not great defensivly,
not the greatest work rate
Never shoots the puck
poor production without pp time
poor contract
Most will have soured on this player next season

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

He and Carter could hand off C/W duties to each other. Carter could take faceoffs and Granlund could lug the puck. Heinen is actually probably a really decent fit with Granlund.

I like the deal in terms of hockey, but I really don't like the deal in terms of what we gave up and how much term/money he has left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad