Michkov vs Demidov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If Laine plays well in MTL, and the habs re-sign him, then the Reinbacher selection makes even more sense
So you’re telling me the Habs picked Reinbacher over Michkov because they knew Laine was going to have to enter the player assistance program for the majority of the upcoming season so he would then be available for free?

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
So you’re telling me the Habs picked Reinbacher over Michkov because they knew Laine was going to have to enter the player assistance program for the majority of the upcoming season so he would then be available for free?
Yup it’s all a master plan . They passed on Michkov because they knew that Demidov would be available to them the next years draft. How you ask ? That’s the million dollar question .

Reactions: Guess and Xirik

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Lol this thread is pathetic. A bunch of grown men going “my favourite teenager, who I’ve never met and doesn’t know I exist, is better than your favourite teenager who you’ve never met and doesn’t know you exist!!!” Stop and think about how ridiculous that premise is. Shit is goofy as hell 😂

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Yup it’s all a master plan . They passed on Michkov because they knew that Demidov would be available to them the next years draft. How you ask ? That’s the million dollar question .

The habs had a clear need for offensive talent then, and they still passed on Michkov. It's obvious they were planning on acquiring offensive talent in the following drafts or via trade.

It turned out they got Demidov and Laine, but it could've been other players. With hindsight, we know how they acquired offensive talents and who they got, so the decision back then looks more logical now.

It's not much different than the hawks passing on Demidov for Levshunov despite having a much bigger need at forward. They know they will have an easier time acquiring talented forwards than a right shot dman like Levshunov, that's why they passed on Demidov.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Lol this thread is pathetic. A bunch of grown men going “my favourite teenager, who I’ve never met and doesn’t know I exist, is better than your favourite teenager who you’ve never met and doesn’t know you exist!!!” Stop and think about how ridiculous that premise is. Shit is goofy as hell 😂

This thread would make for a good psychological study.
Living vicariously via teenage athletes, internet anonymity, social identity and group dynamics…..
:laugh:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yet most are absolutely unproven / none are remotely close to elite currently . But sure on paper if it all pans out that could be a pie in the sky result . I like the Laine acquisition but aren’t we getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves . Half the guys have yet to even debut ..i
Slafkovsky is quickly approaching elite. Laine has proven he can be/was/should be elite.

Reactions: viceroy and 1909

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Drysdale was drafted 6th overall and traded for a recent 5th overall pick. That proves my point that acquiring a good young rd is difficult.

Hronak sure, but he wasn't seen as that good of a player when he played for Detroit. He reached another level playing with Hughes. He's also not the kind of RD the habs wouldve been looking to add. The habs need a RD who can be strong defensively since they will have 2 offensive dmen already in their top 4 (Hutson and Mailloux).
I’m not a fan of that trade Flyers got Pennie’s on the dollar unless Drysdale can stay healthy and show another gear, and I’m not a big Cutter believer that he’s a high end 5th OA pick, he has a low IQ and looks like he handles the puck like a grenade sometimes, but he’s a perfect fit for the ducks, he has a great shot and he’s a finisher, they def won that trade.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FlyguyOX

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
This thread would make for a good psychological study.
Living vicariously via teenage athletes, internet anonymity, social identity and group dynamics…..
:laugh:

This logic is so weird though, the thread title is player vs player. One player is clearly better than the other at their respective ages and then obviously one of the biggest fan bases in hockey is coping, guy is getting doubled up on polls too it’s not just me as much as people want to think it. That’s all this is lol.

• Haha
Reactions: jfhabs

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Lidstrom
Zetterberg
Palffy
Benn
Lundqvist
Pavelski
Rinne
Stone
Markov
Kaprizov
Robitaille
Gilmour
Hull

And many more, pal. Many of these were even later than the 6th round, pal.
I mean there will always be good players available in the 6th round just alot more rare. I bet the list would be ALOT bigger if you do this using late 1st and 2nd rounders. I dont feel I was wrong unless u think the success rate of a 6th rounder is greater than late 1st/2nd

Reactions: Xirik

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Slafkovsky is quickly approaching elite. Laine has proven he can be/was/should be elite.
While I don’t agree with this for the most part it was more referencing the players that haven’t even made their debut being penciled into a lineup and calling it elite as a whole ; and counting on those players to all hit their ceilings . I actually think Cole has a better chance at being elite this season rather than Laine .

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Man demidov has some ugly skating. Curious to see how that inside-edge dominant, always in motion style works in NA

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
e1d9c-17244333238174-1920.jpg

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Man demidov has some ugly skating. Curious to see how that inside-edge dominant, always in motion style works in NA
You just described the action of skating without using the word itself lmao. Jesus Christ, this place never ceases to amaze me with how dumb some of the comments are. People will say anything to seem like they know what they’re talking about 😂.

Talk about speed, gate, acceleration, technique, etc - all fair game to analyze or critique.

But here you come in with: “when he puts on skates, he does this very weird thing where he pushes off his inside edges and HE THEN IS CONSTANTLY MOVING AS A RESULT?!?!🤷‍♂️🥴

Lmao that’s called skating, buddy. Such a baffling comment 😂

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
You just described the action of skating without using the word itself lmao. Jesus Christ, this place never ceases to amaze me with how dumb some of the comments are. People will say anything to seem like they know what they’re talking about 😂.

Talk about speed, gate, acceleration, technique, etc - all fair game to analyze or critique.

But here you come in with: “when he puts on skates, he does this very weird thing where he pushes off his inside edges and HE THEN IS CONSTANTLY MOVING AS A RESULT?!?!🤷‍♂️🥴

Lmao that’s called skating, buddy. Such a baffling comment 😂
I literally talked technique. He doesn’t use his outside edges. His feet also flair a bit but I didn’t mention that. A comparable player that skates like him is Bobby Brink.

I don’t understand what your issue is. There’s clearly a stylist difference between the hockey played in Russia and the hockey in NA. The skating concerns get exacerbated in NA. Get the stick out of your ass and learn puck bud

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
They messed up badly because Michkov is way way way more talented player. If Laine will play well - mtl could trade him for good assets and sign RD from free agent market.

They will live with this huge mistake forever, no matter how good or bad Laine will play. Boston did well in the last 10 years, it doesn't change the fact how badly they drafted in a year 2015.
Just your opinion. Time will tell ;)

Shh, we don't want you to figure out our secret :sarcasm:

Sacha BOXviert

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
Demidov IQ is very underrated lol. Michkov have great hockey IQ aswell. If you watch both closely, Demidov have higher chance to reach his full potential than Michkov.

My two cents.

Both have 90-100 pts potential, both will be stars//superstars type of guy.

I think it's a question of preference. Both have been considered #2 all year long in their draft respective.
Michkov doesn't have a great hockey IQ, Michkov has the highest IQ for a prospect in the last decade and that includes Bedard.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Michkov doesn't have a great hockey IQ, Michkov has the highest IQ for a prospect in the last decade and that includes Bedard.

Hfboards is funny sometimes. I think Michkov might be the most overrated prospect in NHL history. At the end of the day, these NHL teams have millions of dollars worth of research tools, access to information we don't have and decided he wasn't worth taking in the top 5.

Saying he has higher IQ then Mcdavid is absurd and you know it. The worst part is Michkov barely improved after his draft year. For a generational prospect I would expect a much bigger jump in production.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Great post. D generally take longer to develop and thus are harder to scout at 17/18. Meanwhile, offensive skill is comparatively easy to scout.

Habs royally screwed up but so did a few other teams. I think eventually CBJ & ANA may regret not rolling the dice with Michkov. If I was SJ or AZ, I would’ve called his bluff and taken him. He’s that special of a talent.

The last time he played in a full tournament with Bedard, it was Michkov who came away with more goals. A truly rare talent. But anything can happen.

This thread is toxic because it’s a mix of people unfairly roasting the Habs and homer Habs fans unfairly roasting Michkov to feel better about Demidov/Reinbacher.
Doubt Anaheim will regret it…. It’s like in our drafting philosophy to not draft high end Russian players in Russian…. Maybe we regret not going fantilli over carlsson or lindstrom/buium over sennecke. But I can’t see us wasting any breath on missing out on a top Russian prospect.

Reactions: rahad

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Are you having fun doing your little victory lap when nobody has played a game in the NHL? :laugh::laugh:
Is choosing Reinbacher over michkov the historically bad move?

Idk I feel like RHD is arguably the hardest position to fill on nhl roster….. getting a guy who seems like a floor top 4 rhd seems pretty good move regardless.

Assuming Reinbacher is at least a nhl top4 dmen, I doubt Montreal loses any sleep

He might not have the upside of michkov but he could be an impactful right handed dmen on both ends if he fully pans out. Which is a big get

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Hfboards is funny sometimes. I think Michkov might be the most overrated prospect in NHL history. At the end of the day, these NHL teams have millions of dollars worth of research tools, access to information we don't have and decided he wasn't worth taking in the top 5.

Saying he has higher IQ then Mcdavid is absurd and you know it. The worst part is Michkov barely improved after his draft year. For a generational prospect I would expect a much bigger jump in production.
It is not absurd. Michkov just like Kucherov are on another level in this regard. You will see soon enough

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Is choosing Reinbacher over michkov the historically bad move?

Idk I feel like RHD is arguably the hardest position to fill on nhl roster….. getting a guy who seems like a floor top 4 rhd seems pretty good move regardless.

Assuming Reinbacher is at least a nhl top4 dmen, I doubt Montreal loses any sleep

He might not have the upside of michkov but he could be an impactful right handed dmen on both ends if he fully pans out. Which is a big get
Yeah historically bad is certainly hyperbol , the funny thing is I'm michkovs biggest fan , love him as a prospect. Unfortunately at the end of the day teams draft to win stanley cups not to win HFboard point total polls.

I'm the first to admit that without landing Demidov this year the rein pick is still questionable but we end up with Rein and Demi , looks good to me , so would Michkov+a D this year.

Teams win the stanley cup every year in different ways with different players. Its not like we drafted two bums.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah historically bad is certainly hyperbol , the funny thing is I'm michkovs biggest fan , love him as a prospect. Unfortunately at the end of the day teams draft to win stanley cups not to win HFboard point total polls.

I'm the first to admit that without landing Demidov this year the rein pick is still questionable but we end up with Rein and Demi , looks good to me , so would Michkov+a D this year.

Teams win the stanley cup every year in different ways with different players. Its not like we drafted two bums.
Ya hindsight getting Demidov the next season sordof soften the blow of passing on michkov.

But to early to act like Reinbacher is some huge miss imo

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Ya hindsight getting Demidov the next season sordof soften the blow of passing on michkov.

But to early to act like Reinbacher is some huge miss imo
Seriously, People act as if Reinbacher has a bust lol. Pretty sure Arizona would have draft him at #6.

He would still have been a top 10 pick.

Reactions: Guess
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad