Confirmed with Link: Messier leaves Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FATCHAMALA11

Kneel Before Zod
Feb 16, 2006
NJ
You guys can all bash him for leaving, but who wants to sit there and be Sather's pet. He didn't leave us to be with the Devils, so what are you all crying about? We would be on our 73rd year without a cup if he wasn't a Ranger.

Kris Chreider

Pass Off The Pads
Aug 17, 2012
NYC/Minneapolis
Because he's an *******. Who only cares about himself and feels like the Rangers owe him. Which I guess we do, having won us a Cup and getting us the 4th round pick that became Callahan, but he doesn't have to be a dbag about it.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
You guys can all bash him for leaving, but who wants to sit there and be Sather's pet. He didn't leave us to be with the Devils, so what are you all crying about? We would be on our 73rd year without a cup if he wasn't a Ranger.

What about his second stint here where he was stealing ice time away from kids getting 20 minutes a game?

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Okay.

I don't understand why politically toned statements like "Although some will perceive this as a reaction to the coaching decision, nothing could be further from the truth..." have to be made. Just say this seems like a natural transition for me at this moment and time and my dedication to.......

FATCHAMALA11

Kneel Before Zod
Feb 16, 2006
NJ
we would have won 4 cups. :sarcasm: Damn that hockey player.

Daigle in 2000 would have had 150 goals. Rico Fata in 2001, 90 goals wasted.

He left to bring some ice hockey to the Bronx. What a terrible person.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I can imagine it's not always easy to be a celebrity. You might want to be left alone now and again and you can't get any space. As well--all your life you've had people--complete strangers even--coming up and telling you how great you are and in the case of someone like Messier--arguably one of the top 15-20 players ever that kind of thing is going to be multiplied almost exponentially. Whatever personality Messier has and however he came to have it can't be separated from such factors. People have a tendency to make gods out of their heroes. It's much more surprising that someone like Graves seems to have a handle on it than that Messier might sometimes act like a turkey. Funny that we used to hear the same crap about Avery--some people thought he was a jerk because he didn't care to talk about hockey with them after the game--others would meet him somewhere away from the rink and think he was really cool.

Anyway he didn't deserve the head coaching job--whether he thinks so or not. He hasn't paid his dues and shouldn't even have been in the running. He shouldn't have been angling behind the scenes for it either. That's why I called him a distraction.

Drewbackatu*

Thanks for 94. Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Messier's sense of entitlement towards this organization has been a real turn off for the last 15 or 16 years, since he left the first time (for Vancouver).

Exactly right. Checketts was correct when he said back in 1997, "When do we stop paying Messier for the Stanley Cup?" and he left for Vancouver for 3 years of losing!

His 2nd stint here(2000-04) when they all "buried the hatchet" and kissed/made up did it for me with Messier.
Good riddance to him!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Sather's pet? Ha.

Those 2 guys are cut from the same cloth.

Mr Atoz*

Exactly right. Checketts was correct when he said back in 1997, "When do we stop paying Messier for the Stanley Cup?"

He who paid Patrick Ewing for nothing?

He who patronizingly preferred basketball over hockey when the Rangers sell out no matter what and the Knick fans disappear when losing?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Good player, good captain but a terrible character. Arrogance galore. It's a shame his name is forever connected to no. 11

Callahan has more heart than Messier.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Hah, wow. What a baby. Buh bye, Mess. Thank god.

Good riddance. Hopefully Graves and the other 94 alumni follow up.

Eh, Graves is a great guy and not the egomaniac that Mess was/is. Same goes for Leetch. And neither is exactly trying to take over the organization or looking to be rewarded with positions they don't deserve. Seems like an unnecessary overreaction to view them in the same light as Mess and compare them to him in any way.

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
hahaha, got the NHL gamecenter alert on my phone and immediately smiled. this is good for this organization. the less self-entitled people who think they are owed something without having paid their dues in positions of power on this team, the better.

it is scary to me that he actually thought he had a chance to become coach of this team, with no experience. it speaks volumes about the inner workings of this organization that he had that thought in his head probably because he actually did have a shot. his roll as "special assistant" never felt right with me. it felt like he was being groomed to take over from slats one day without having to do anything but wait. other players who don't have the messier name, actually establish a body of work, paying their dues on different levels because they aren't handed a BS job once they retire.

this is good for the team, but as mentioned before I don't think this is the last we see of him unfortunately. he'll go continue in his "job" elsewhere for a while, but will grab headlines again in a few years when he throws his hat into the mix when Sather retires, and you'll bet that idiot owner of the team will be intrigued because when it comes to hockey the only names he knows are Sather, Messier, and Isiah Thomas.

In the words of the great Artie Lange, "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" I didn't get the coaching job, "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Last edited:

SupersonicMonkey*

Good riddance. Hopefully Graves and the other 94 alumni follow up.

What nonsense is this?

Graves does a lot and serves a purpose. Unlike Messier, Graves actually is an excellent judge of talent and has been working his way up from the bottom. He is part of the ownership group of the Oshawa Generals of the OHL.

http://oshawagenerals.com/page/adam-graves

Leetch? He doesn't even have a position within the organization. He works as a part time analyst on MSG and his insights are far better then anyone else on the MSG staff.

Richter has what, an administration job? He actually went back to college to finish his degree after he retired. He also works hard.

Beukeboom is coaching at lower levels. He, too, is working his way up the right way.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I know none of the details here. I'm sure the spin will come out over time from both sides. At first blush this does not appear to be the smartest move by a guy that many of us hold tremendous respect for.

I wish he could have had a bit more patience, but maybe this is best for everyone. It would have been terrible to have come to the day where the Rangers had to fire Mark Messier.

Anyway, best of luck MM.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Literally just met Adam Graves at the Boomer and Carton softball game and he's the nicest guy. Asked him about Mess but he didn't say much

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I've always had a vibe that Messier feels as if the organization owes him for 94, like the Rangers are forever indebted to him because he helped end the curse. I never get that impression from Richter, Leetch, or Graves, they are more humble and grounded.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
What nonsense is this?

Graves does a lot and serves a purpose. Unlike Messier, Graves actually is an excellent judge of talent and has been working his way up from the bottom. He is part of the ownership group of the Oshawa Generals of the OHL.

http://oshawagenerals.com/page/adam-graves

Leetch? He doesn't even have a position within the organization. He works as a part time analyst on MSG and his insights are far better then anyone else on the MSG staff.

Richter has what, an administration job? He actually went back to college to finish his degree after he retired. He also works hard.

Beukeboom is coaching at lower levels. He, too, is working his way up the right way.

He bashes a lot of the 90's Rangers. Don't know why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad