Confirmed with Link: Meier, Harrington, 3 prospects, Col's '24 5th to Devils for 2023 1st, Zetterlund, Johanson, Okhotiuk, Mukhamadullin, conditional 2024 1st, '24 7th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I was thinking the same thing about that line. Only problem is keeping Kaut away from his Czech buddy, but hey, Tommy can learn to love a couple young Swedes, right? But actually playing with the infectious young energy of those two might be able to help rejuvenate Hertl.

It's things like this--seeing some new young blood in action--that could make next season more fun than this one in a way, even if the team still is bad. What else have we had this year other than Karl going wild? Some good Timo time, but at least with kids coming in you have something new to latch onto--with the occasional glimmer of promise that allows you to dream. Timo's good times this year were sort of muted by the lingering inevitability of his departure.

Johnsson isn't that young - he's 28.

If I were in charge and had control over every GM to make moves I wanted (within realism), it would kinda go down like this: Meier traded. Team drops in standings. Trade Barabanov for a 2nd, Reimer for a 4th, Bonino for a 4th. Get 1st overall. Trade Karlsson with retention at draft (so it allows Holland to make other moves like trading Barrie) for a 23 1st, conditional 24 1st, Bouchard, Schaefer, and Holloway. Draft Bedard. Eklund and Bordeleau play for Sharks in 23-24 along with Bedard, while Mukhamadullin develops in AHL. Up front there's Hertl, Couture, Bedard, Eklund, Zetterlund, Bordeleau, Kunin, Sturm, Eyssimont, Svechnikov, Lorentz, Holloway. Defense is Ferraro, Bouchard, Vlasic, Benning, Knyzhov, MacDonald/Cicek. Goalies are Kahkonen and Makiniemi. They are bad, but not boring. Trade Couture with retention at deadline for a 1st and 2nd. Pick bottom 5 in the league again, pick top D prospect.

If all goes to plan, and it will, because this is my dream, you have a core of Bedard, Eklund, top D prospect, Hertl, Bordeleau, Zetterlund, Bystedt, Bouchard, Mukhamadullin, and Ferraro. Plus there's enough young guys with potential to be NHL players at some level - Schaefer, Holloway, Gushchin, Robins, Havelid, Laroque, Lund...

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Dude is taking a PJ. Glad we were able to move this ecoterrosit off the team
Acquiring team responsible for travel accommodations. Speed and/or health (covid) probably means that a private jet was best option. (Player acquired by Jets also arrived at new home in private jet.)

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

If I were in charge and had control over every GM to make moves I wanted (within realism), it would kinda go down like this: Meier traded. Team drops in standings. Trade Barabanov for a 2nd, Reimer for a 4th, Bonino for a 4th. Get 1st overall. Trade Karlsson with retention at draft (so it allows Holland to make other moves like trading Barrie) for a 23 1st, conditional 24 1st, Bouchard, Schaefer, and Holloway. Draft Bedard. Eklund and Bordeleau play for Sharks in 23-24 along with Bedard, while Mukhamadullin develops in AHL. Up front there's Hertl, Couture, Bedard, Eklund, Zetterlund, Bordeleau, Kunin, Sturm, Eyssimont, Svechnikov, Lorentz, Holloway. Defense is Ferraro, Bouchard, Vlasic, Benning, Knyzhov, MacDonald/Cicek. Goalies are Kahkonen and Makiniemi. They are bad, but not boring. Trade Couture with retention at deadline for a 1st and 2nd. Pick bottom 5 in the league again, pick top D prospect.

If all goes to plan, and it will, because this is my dream, you have a core of Bedard, Eklund, top D prospect, Hertl, Bordeleau, Zetterlund, Bystedt, Bouchard, Mukhamadullin, and Ferraro. Plus there's enough young guys with potential to be NHL players at some level - Schaefer, Holloway, Gushchin, Robins, Havelid, Laroque, Lund...
Oh, sorry, I didn't even say his name, but I was referring to the Swedish Tank, Zetterlund. I'm not convinced Johnsson will even still be on the Sharks this weekend, let alone next season, lol.

Oh and I fully support your dream becoming reality!

Reactions: Gecklund

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Oh, sorry, I didn't even say his name, but I was referring to the Swedish Tank, Zetterlund. I'm not convinced Johnsson will even still be on the Sharks this weekend, let alone next season, lol.

Oh and I fully support your dream becoming reality!

LOL, I didn't realize the second Swedish youngster you were talking about was Eklund, not Johnsson.

Reactions: timorous me

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
If I were in charge and had control over every GM to make moves I wanted (within realism), it would kinda go down like this: Meier traded. Team drops in standings. Trade Barabanov for a 2nd, Reimer for a 4th, Bonino for a 4th. Get 1st overall.
With the rebuild well under way, I would be surprised if Barabanov remains a Shark past friday. Think Vegas will want him? For the price of Oscar Lindblom next year, Sharks might even be able to get a 1st for him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
With the rebuild well under way, I would be surprised if Barabanov remains a Shark past friday. Think Vegas will want him? For the price of Oscar Lindblom next year, Sharks might even be able to get a 1st for him.
My friend is a Vegas fan and I was just talking to him about it. He thinks that they've focused too much on getting big tickets that they don't really have much depth anymore. Every time some bottom 6er gets traded like Hathaway or Lafferty he's been bummed out lol. I joked that we'd trade them Barabanov for 2 2nds and he didn't even blink an eye. It might actually be a worthwhile target.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Le Grand Quebecois

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA

That team probably doesn't make the playoffs, ever.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Looking at the stats, at this point, it seems highly unlikely that Mukhamadullin is going to be a star. Even in the KHL, even at 21, defencemen who are going to be future stars are lighting the league on fire (like, for example, Nikishin).

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
That team probably doesn't make the playoffs, ever.

Just to be clear, are you talking about my hypothetical 23-24 team, or 24-25 and beyond team?

Because the 24-25 and beyond team absolutely would. A team with a superstar centre, #1 D, top winger, solid 2C, and a good 2nd pair. Yes they would make the playoffs probably every season if they had good goaltending.

Looking at the stats, at this point, it seems highly unlikely that Mukhamadullin is going to be a star. Even in the KHL, even at 21, defencemen who are going to be future stars are lighting the league on fire (like, for example, Nikishin).

I don't think anyone expects him to.

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Nikishin is a well-rounded NHL-ready player. His upside is a first pair and All Star games.
Shaq is a raw player and has a long way to be NHL-ready. He will not be a star, but he may become an offensive D on second pair. And it’s not correct to compare premium level prospect and B or B+ prospect, imho. If Mukhamadullin worse than Nikishin, it doesn’t mean he can’t become a serviceable D in NHL.
Edit: KHL is a very specific league and it’s very difficult for young player to earn top minutes in competitive team like Ufa. Being the first pair D is already big achievement.
For example, even generational talent Michkov hadn’t good stats in SKA (I know, he is younger, but still) because their roster full of high KHL level players.
Mukhamadullin earned that first pair slot and Ufa’s fans like him much.

Last edited:

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Canes fan coming in peace. "Team 1" with the top prospect (Morrow) we are 99% convinced was us before we gave one of our "final offers" according to LeBrun from today, and it's a mega package:

“The Canes tried valiantly over the past 10 days, especially. One of their final offers had six pieces in it, including a first-round pick and a second-round pick, plus prospects. But the one young player they never relented in not wanting to move is Russian blueliner Alexander Nikishin. It might have been a game-changer had Carolina included him in the package, but I don’t blame the Canes for wanting to keep him. They have big plans for him.”

So, for Grier, Carolina had to offer Jarvis or Nikishin, but New Jersey didn't even have to offer Holtz, who is their 3rd best prospect (excluding Mercer who is a roster player). I am 100% sure we offered Scott Morrow, and he's a legit blue chip prospect, and our 2nd best prospect behind Nikishin. Also, I'm pretty sure the "2nd round" we offered was Philly's from next year, and that's basically a late 1st round. Considering the conditions on NJ's 1st round pick from next year, it will most likely be a 2nd round pick, and obviously a late one too (around the late 20s).

You guys also did 50% retention on Meier, and took a $3million dollar + cap dump with Johnsson that doesn't expire until next season. We didn't need to dump a salary and probably didn't need more than 25% retention on Meier. Carolina was willing to trade for Meier without extension talks about a week before New Jersey was based on reports. Also kind of strange Grier didn't want to increase the return by allowing extension talks (I'm not aware NJ actually had any).
I would have to say he valued Muk higher than Morrow and he was high on Zetts as well....Muk is going to be a high end off/def on the left side Fitz was extremely high on him and said it hurt dealing him....Imo he was right up there with our top prospects just more out of sight out of mind....

Reactions: CHIshark

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I'm fairly optimistic on Zetterlund's ability to advance up in the lineup here since he'd likely see time with Hertl the rest of the way and next season have Eklund-Hertl-Zetterlund. That line seems like it could be pretty productive but we're a ways off from that currently. I just hope they get some takers on Bonino, Gregor, and Reimer. I'd like for them to find a way to offload Labanc too but I have no hope on that one. I think he's a buyout if they can't find a deal before the deadline.
Think Zetterlund will be a really good F1 on whatever line he's on. He was playing a lowly 13 mins a night in NJ so I think it is pretty easy to project that he will score closer to the 45 point clip with 16 mins a night like he will be receiving here in a middle 6 role (along with PP time). It's not like he was getting to ride shotgun with a Hughes or Hischier in NJ. He was playing with Haula and Palat mostly. Even moving up to play with Couture is a massive upgrade in terms of center quality compared to Haula.
Boston seems to be the one with the most interest based on the very scientific research method of typing his name in the Twitter search bar and see whose fans or writers have things to say about him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hiring Grier was the penultimate f up. I was willing to give him a shot, but man, he's been downright embarrassingly bad.
So my question for you: is it this trade that pushes you over the edge?

Given the other packages of Morrow, 1st, 2nd and 2 firsts from STL and a meh prospect both with large salary implications attached, which would you have preferred?

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
Hiring Grier was the penultimate f up. I was willing to give him a shot, but man, he's been downright embarrassingly bad.
How has he been embarrassingly bad? We are in position to possibly get Connor Bedard. If he had actually done things to try to make the current team better I think that would’ve been embarrassingly bad. I think he deserves at least a couple years to see how things shake out before we can cast judgement.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
How has he been embarrassingly bad? We are in position to possibly get Connor Bedard. If he had actually done things to try to make the current team better I think that would’ve been embarrassingly bad. I think he deserves at least a couple years to see how things shake out before we can cast judgement.
Most of the hatred for Grier seems completely irrational. Maybe he hasn't outright won his trades but I find it hard to find them so terrible that I'm pissed about them.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Most of the hatred for Grier seems completely irrational. Maybe he hasn't outright won his trades but I find it hard to find them so terrible that I'm pissed about them.
It’s much easier to complain than to be positive. As others show their unhappiness, it’s easy to ramp it up irrationally.

Reactions: tiburon12

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
GMMG's approach seems to be paying lip service to the "always competitive no tanking allowed" corporate mandate while having the green light to be changing the culture slowly but surely... It's the smart move imo, someone will h8 u whatever you do

Year 3 is make or break as far as deadline for showing the turnaround is trending upward and momentum is in full swing

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
So my question for you: is it this trade that pushes you over the edge?

Given the other packages of Morrow, 1st, 2nd and 2 firsts from STL and a meh prospect both with large salary implications attached, which would you have preferred?
I dont think he got the worst value in the world, but I think hes focused on the wrong assets and strategy.
I think hes so focused on this idea of a hard working bottom six that he forgot our team sucks and we need the rest of a team as well.

Selachimorpha

Feb 18, 2015
Mike Grier's trade tally to-date (not including pick-only swaps):

Out:
Timo Meier
Brent Burns
Matt Nieto
Jaycob Megna
Ryan Merkley
Adin Hill
Lane Pederson
Jasper Weatherby