Confirmed with Link: Meier, Harrington, 3 prospects, Col's '24 5th to Devils for 2023 1st, Zetterlund, Johanson, Okhotiuk, Mukhamadullin, conditional 2024 1st, '24 7th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Jul 10, 2010
Most of the hatred for Grier seems completely irrational. Maybe he hasn't outright won his trades but I find it hard to find them so terrible that I'm pissed about them.
alot of it stems from people trying to treat a real time with their NHL 23 Be a GM mode where they deal everyone away for 1sts, draft 10 players in round 1, sim, and win the cup in 25-26

the fact that players over the age of 25 are still on the team angers them, they could be lottery tickets, aka 2nd round picks.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Mike Grier's trade tally to-date (not including pick-only swaps):

Out:
Timo Meier
Brent Burns
Matt Nieto
Jaycob Megna
Ryan Merkley
Adin Hill
Lane Pederson
Jasper Weatherby
John Leonard
Scott Harrington
Zacharie Émond
Santeri Hatakka
Timur Ibragimov
2023 3rd
2024 5th

In:
Luke Kunin
Andreas Johnsson
Fabian Zetterlund
Nikita Okhotiuk
Shakir Mukhamadullin
Steven Lorentz
Martin Kaut
Jacob MacDonald
Eetu Mäkiniemi
Kyle Criscuolo
2023 1st
2023 3rd
2023 4th
2024 2nd
2024 4th
2024 7th
Brent Burns Retention (2.72 x 3 years)
Meier Retention (3 x 0.25 years)
That’s a whole lot of turnover in less than a year.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
alot of it stems from people trying to treat a real time with their NHL 23 Be a GM mode where they deal everyone away for 1sts, draft 10 players in round 1, sim, and win the cup in 25-26

the fact that players over the age of 25 are still on the team angers them, they could be lottery tickets, aka 2nd round picks.
The only thing that would anger me re: his tenure to date is if there is truly a stance that they're uninterested in entertaining trade offers on Barabanov. I get that he's not apples to apples with Meier due to the fact that he's not going to ask for $70+ million over 8 years if/when his contract expires, but he still doesn't fit the window for the next contention window and cap space leaguewide is scarce and he's on a value contract.

Outside of that, I get the complexity of a Karlsson deal midseason and fully expect him to move as many expiring UFA guys as there is a market for. The Barabanov narrative out there is really the only thing that is frustrating to me thus far barring something untold going on off the ice re: why he'd need to stay with the Sharks org.

Reactions: Friday

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
I dont think he got the worst value in the world, but I think hes focused on the wrong assets and strategy.
I think hes so focused on this idea of a hard working bottom six that he forgot our team sucks and we need the rest of a team as well.
What would you have rather gotten from New Jersey that was actually available? I don’t think Zetterlund can just be classified as hard working bottom six guy. This is his rookie season and he’s putting up about half a point per game with good analytics. I think it’s reasonable to say he at least has top 6 potential with middle six as a floor.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I dont think he got the worst value in the world, but I think hes focused on the wrong assets and strategy.
I think hes so focused on this idea of a hard working bottom six that he forgot our team sucks and we need the rest of a team as well.
I mean in what way? He only added 2 forwards in this deal. One has potential to be around top 6 level and is more than just hardworking. The other was a cap dump.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Oh like Yon-son vs John-son
So my last name is actually quite close to Johnsson's, but pronounced with a J because I'm 'Murican, but in college I had a professor who was Dutch and referred to every student as Mr. or Ms. (Last Name). He gave me the Y-pronunciation, which at first threw me for a loop, but with his accent and everything I really came to enjoy it and never corrected him.

But don't ask me why Andreas goes with the J. Wants to fit in more in North America?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I think you are focused on the wrong aspects of the trade. You are never going to get a quality for quality trade in this kind of situation. The people thinking we were gonna get Mercer are simply unaware of what fair value is in the league. San Jose walked away with a decent quantity of good pieces. Nothing great, but there is a lot there that could potentially become something. That is how these trades always go down. You are moving a sure thing for lotto tickets and hoping you get lucky.

Zetterlund probably isn't going to be a superstar in the NHL. But I think he'll benefit from a change of scenery and an organization that values his style of play. He honestly kind of reminds me of Barclay Goodrow.
If the 1st rounder wasn’t conditional I’d probably be less critical about it. I’m also tired of hearing the excuses for Grier, first the Burns trade was due to it being a limited market, that same courtesy should not be extended on this trade.

I wasnt expecting Hughes like some other clowns, but it should’ve been at least a top 3-5 prospect not the bottom 5-15 Some devils fans have gone as far saying the sharks got their 5th best defensive prospect that’s no bueno lol

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
If the 1st rounder wasn’t conditional I’d probably be less critical about it. I’m also tired of hearing the excuses for Grier, first the Burns trade was due to it being a limited market, that same courtesy should not be extended on this trade.

I wasnt expecting Hughes like some other clowns, but it should’ve been at least a top 3-5 prospect not the bottom 5-15 Some devils fans have gone as far saying the sharks got their 5th best defensive prospect that’s no bueno lol
Glad to see you got that off your chest.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The only reason anyone has to give Grier an excuse is because people are setting themselves up to be disappointed in the first place. What Grier got for Meier is acceptable for someone he had no intention on re-signing because he didn't want another big contract on the books that will decline in value as time goes and they don't compete in that time anyway.

You say you weren't expecting Hughes but what were you expecting?

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
He has 6 goals in 45 games this season. The chance he becomes a regular 13-18 goal scorer at least is pretty high. Not to mention the scout has no idea what the Devils 23 1st or 24 1st/2nd will turn out into. Maybe they draft the next Aho or DeBrincat.
If the first weren’t conditional, far less people would be complaining about it, I don’t think the devils have the goaltending or the defensive depth to push that deep into playoffs.

The only reason anyone has to give Grier an excuse is because people are setting themselves up to be disappointed in the first place. What Grier got for Meier is acceptable for someone he had no intention on re-signing because he didn't want another big contract on the books that will decline in value as time goes and they don't compete in that time anyway.

You say you weren't expecting Hughes but what were you expecting?
What part of top 3-5 prospect wasn’t clear?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad