Confirmed with Link: Meier, Harrington, 3 prospects, Col's '24 5th to Devils for 2023 1st, Zetterlund, Johanson, Okhotiuk, Mukhamadullin, conditional 2024 1st, '24 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Devil’s advocate here, but how much more do you think we would have gotten for a signed Meier? I know it would have been more, but we got a first round pick (albeit late), a quality prospect taken in the first in Muk, a conditional late first/second, a middle 6 roster player. a B/C prospect and a cap dump.

We gave up some pieces but nothing I think we will miss (Hatakka, maybe), a 7th, and took on 1/3 of a season’s retention on Meier.

Just trying to get a sense of what more would have been realistic if Meier had signed an extension. No conditionality on the other first, a better prospect than Okhotiuk? I am not convinced an extension would have made any of the 3 big names from the Devils available.
I dont think it would have made a significant difference, but maybe the difference in pick position. Friedman speculated it was the difference between the conditional 2nd and a guaranteed 1st

Reactions: timorous me

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm fairly optimistic on Zetterlund's ability to advance up in the lineup here since he'd likely see time with Hertl the rest of the way and next season have Eklund-Hertl-Zetterlund. That line seems like it could be pretty productive but we're a ways off from that currently. I just hope they get some takers on Bonino, Gregor, and Reimer. I'd like for them to find a way to offload Labanc too but I have no hope on that one. I think he's a buyout if they can't find a deal before the deadline.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
To those who took umbrage against Grier for the return.

Meier wouldn’t sign an extension.

That made the deal less.

Clarity is a beautiful thing.
Where are you getting this? All articles (even the most recent one from Sheng today) indicate that it was Grier who didn’t want another player with an 8-year contract.

Reactions: themelkman

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I dont think it would have made a significant difference, but maybe the difference in pick position. Friedman speculated it was the difference between the conditional 2nd and a guaranteed 1st
That is where I come out. That and maybe a better prospect than O (still guessing not Holtz), but I am just not sure how much that moves the needle.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Where are you getting this? All articles (even the most recent one from Sheng today) indicate that it was Grier who didn’t want another player with an 8-year contract.

It was clear and widely reported the sharks did not approach Meier with an extension offer.

Reality is a wonderful thing.

I think he means Meier wasn't going to sign an extension with the Devils therefore the return was less. Obviously if Meier signed an extension with SJ he wouldn't be traded (or at least it would be very rare).

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
My apologies for not being clearer. I see where it was confusing.

You said:

Meier wouldn’t sign an extension. That made the deal less.

They didn't read the second part. You were clear. Why would Meier not signing an extension with the Sharks make the assets they got back in trade less?

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
You said:

Meier wouldn’t sign an extension. That made the deal less.

They didn't read the second part. You were clear. Why would Meier not signing an extension with the Sharks make the assets they got back in trade less?
Was there a new article? As of last week, I thought Grier didn't allow Lemieux to talk to any of the teams.

I think he means Meier wasn't going to sign an extension with the Devils therefore the return was less. Obviously if Meier signed an extension with SJ he wouldn't be traded (or at least it would be very rare).

Like Setoguchi? Or even Matthew Tkachuk last season?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Was there a new article? As of last week, I thought Grier didn't allow Lemieux to talk to any of the teams.

I think it was mentioned on 32 Thoughts, or so I heard from @tiburon12

Yes, like Tkachuk. Or Hossa for Heatley, but Marian didn't know he was going to be traded when he re-signed with Ottawa.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Just watching this kid play D compared to someone like Merkley is literally night and day.

This kid probably better at 21 than Mirco Mueller last time I saw him.

Mirco Mueller was a bust! Didn't he go back to Switzerland after fails in San Jose and New Jersey! Just another player the Sharks rushed too soon into NHL action! And you're comparing Shakir Mukhamadullin with what a 5-6th D-man! And no one was pointing a gun to the heads of the Sharks GM and scouts...there were red flags everywhere with Merkley but at least you guys got Kaut who may still eek out a middle 6 role just yet

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I'm not gonna lie, I am pretty high on Mukham. Playing top-line minutes in the KHL is legit. KHL is probably the 2nd best league after the NHL. So for being 21, when a ton of his peers are still playing either juniors or AHL, I think that shows something. Those Russians aren't exactly soft either. Kids got the size, speed, stick handling to be a real solid defenseman. Everything is pointing to him making that next step in terms of defensive acumen. Throw some NA physical conditioning on that frame and probably add a good 20 pounds of muscle easy. Kid has all the tools to be a franchise defenseman in the hold of Hedman. Take some development, but I think this kid could be just an absolute win. Throw on potentially 2 firsts and all the prospect swaps, and San Jose's future is WAY better now than it was before the trade happened. Even Hatakka for Okhotiuk is a bump to our prospect pool. Great way for GMMG to start the rebuild.
You keep believing yourself all you want! Grier got screwed plain and simple as for Muk possibly being a franchise D-man I doubt the Devils would have traded a "Hedman" like D-man for anyone on the Sharks

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

From what i understand from the "insiders", Grier didn't talk extension with Meier or Lemieux since extending Meier wasn't part of his future plan. We were told that Grier would grant the new team an audience with Lemieux, but i havent seen a report confirming or denying that NJD talked with Lemiuex before the trade.

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
From what i understand from the "insiders", Grier didn't talk extension with Meier or Lemieux since extending Meier wasn't part of his future plan. We were told that Grier would grant the new team an audience with Lemieux, but i havent seen a report confirming or denying that NJD talked with Lemiuex before the trade.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I'm fairly optimistic on Zetterlund's ability to advance up in the lineup here since he'd likely see time with Hertl the rest of the way and next season have Eklund-Hertl-Zetterlund. That line seems like it could be pretty productive but we're a ways off from that currently. I just hope they get some takers on Bonino, Gregor, and Reimer. I'd like for them to find a way to offload Labanc too but I have no hope on that one. I think he's a buyout if they can't find a deal before the deadline.
I was thinking the same thing about that line. Only problem is keeping Kaut away from his Czech buddy, but hey, Tommy can learn to love a couple young Swedes, right? But actually playing with the infectious young energy of those two might be able to help rejuvenate Hertl.

It's things like this--seeing some new young blood in action--that could make next season more fun than this one in a way, even if the team still is bad. What else have we had this year other than Karl going wild? Some good Timo time, but at least with kids coming in you have something new to latch onto--with the occasional glimmer of promise that allows you to dream. Timo's good times this year were sort of muted by the lingering inevitability of his departure.

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
This doesn't reveal if the Devils talked to Lemieux or not though
I think it's more than likely they did not talk:

"General manager Tom Fitzgerald said the following regarding a potential extension during his post-trade press conference: “We will start at some point to ink his name to a long-term deal. I think New Jersey will sell itself.”

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Devils GM Fitzgerald: Look Timo, Jersey is such a great place. 30 min from the Empire State building, Statue of Liberty, Times Square.. You're gonna love it!
Pay no attention to those billowing smokestacks, ugly marshlands, notable stench, or one-way toll to get to a better state.....

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I was thinking the same thing about that line. Only problem is keeping Kaut away from his Czech buddy, but hey, Tommy can learn to love a couple young Swedes, right? But actually playing with the infectious young energy of those two might be able to help rejuvenate Hertl.

It's things like this--seeing some new young blood in action--that could make next season more fun than this one in a way, even if the team still is bad. What else have we had this year other than Karl going wild? Some good Timo time, but at least with kids coming in you have something new to latch onto--with the occasional glimmer of promise that allows you to dream. Timo's good times this year were sort of muted by the lingering inevitability of his departure.

Agreed - I think Eklund and Bordeleau, possibly Mukh and Zetterlund will be what keeps me coming back next year. And if we manage to get Bedard/Fantilli and they can jump right in.. I don’t mind losing, I just want to cheer for a team that is growing and has potential. I think Meier and now Karlsson… it always felt like they weren’t long for this team (or in Karlsson’s case - we’re stuck with him and he’s not particularly happy about it), so like you said, it was fun to watch but also felt a little icky and temporary.

I think if they can get rid of Karlsson this off-season, the rest of the guys who are left are likely here to stay and we get to cheer for a young team that’s growing together, with a few vets guiding them along the way. I don’t hate that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad