Confirmed with Link: Meier, Harrington, 3 prospects, Col's '24 5th to Devils for 2023 1st, Zetterlund, Johanson, Okhotiuk, Mukhamadullin, conditional 2024 1st, '24 7th

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I mean you shouldn’t have to Google him you’re right. You should know who he is. Personally I’m not the biggest fan but 25 points as a 21 year old defenseman in the KHL is nothing to scoff at.
So what you're saying is you're OK with trading Meier a top flight Forward for a 5-6th D-man in Mukhamdulin and 7th D in Okhotyuk with two 3rd line Wingers(Johnsson and Westerlund) and a conditional 1st rounder? Granted Muk and Westerlund have potential as does the the other D-man but not as Top line or Top pairing D-man!

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Yeah, knee jerk reactions all over. It'll take years to see how the trade actually went due to the draft picks.
I found this interesting take on the trade
“The Sharks just traded a 35-goal power forward for a collection that doesn’t include anyone projected to score 10-plus goals a year in the NHL.”

Time will tell on this one but Initially on the surface it looks suss at best

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So what you're saying is you're OK with trading Meier a top flight Forward for a 5-6th D-man in Mukhamdulin and 7th D in Okhotyuk with two 3rd line Wingers(Johnsson and Westerlund) and a conditional 1st rounder? Granted Muk and Westerlund have potential as does the the other D-man but not as Top line or Top pairing D-man!
Please tell me where I said that. Just because you have reading comprehension issues doesn’t mean I said that.

You are never going to get a top pairing/top line guy back in return for Timo. I think Zetterlund can be like a Barabanov so good 2nd liner. Grier thinks Shakir can be a top 4 D. Okhotiuk has some potential. We also got back a for sure first and a possible first. I don’t love that return but I think Grier did the best he could with the hand he was dealt. Let’s not forget this also gives the Sharks A TON of cap flexibility going forward.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
From the presser, it looks like Grier wanted some prospects that would be able to contribute sooner than just picks alone since he is aiming for a quick retool or rebuild rather than a long one like other teams. He and the scouts also seem high in Mukh and Zetterlund.
Noticing that as a trend in the salary cap world. Teams are valuing prospects much more than picks as they make deals at the TDL. Seems like a bit of a market imbalance to be honest (see ROR trade, McCabe/Lafferty trade, NSH/TB trade, etc.)

Be nice for Grier to move Barabanov for a bunch of picks with his salary so low relative to production. We've gotten a few nice prospects from the Meier deal, now go out and raid the league for some picks that they seem to be giving away like candy and use those to move up the board and get more picks in the higher impact range (i.e. top 15). With the way some of these teams are throwing picks out the door, I would not be shocked if Barabanov returned a 2024 1st rounder from someone (though I am not sure who even has a 1st at this point in time).

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I found this interesting take on the trade
“The Sharks just traded a 35-goal power forward for a collection that doesn’t include anyone projected to score 10-plus goals a year in the NHL.”

Time will tell on this one but Initially on the surface it looks suss at best
Zetterlund has 20 points in 45 games in mostly bottom 6 minutes with no PP time. Yes he will be scoring 10+ goals a year and I think there’s a possibility he scores 10 goals with us this season.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
You're so ill informed that you don't even know the players names. Get out of here.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Noticing that as a trend in the salary cap world. Teams are valuing prospects much more than picks as they make deals at the TDL. Seems like a bit of a market imbalance to be honest (see ROR trade, McCabe/Lafferty trade, NSH/TB trade, etc.)

Be nice for Grier to move Barabanov for a bunch of picks with his salary so low relative to production. We've gotten a few nice prospects from the Meier deal, now go out and raid the league for some picks that they seem to be giving away like candy and use those to move up the board and get more picks in the higher impact range (i.e. top 15). With the way some of these teams are throwing picks out the door, I would not be shocked if Barabanov returned a 2024 1st rounder from someone (though I am not sure who even has a 1st at this point in time).
Interesting take. Sounds legit.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Zetterlund has 20 points in 45 games in mostly bottom 6 minutes with no PP time. Yes he will be scoring 10+ goals a year and I think there’s a possibility he scores 10 goals with us this season.
Im not sure if his scoring is likely to continue, but his defense is really where he shines. Hes a good passer, but the finishing seems pretty bad.

He didnt play on the PK in NJ but I think he will get a shot for us.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Im not sure if his scoring is likely to continue, but his defense is really where he shines. Hes a good passer, but the finishing seems pretty bad.

He didnt play on the PK in NJ but I think he will get a shot for us.
Why do you think his scoring will go down? I know Hischier is great (he didn’t play with Hughes I don’t think) but I’d argue Hertl is just as good if not better offensively and that’s where I’m guessing he plays.

Let’s be honest he doesn’t need to PK for us. Lorentz, Sturm, Couture is a solid 3. Bonino right now is the 4 but I think he moves. If Zetterlund can come in and PK immediately that’s even more of a win for this player specifically.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
We need more 1st round picks in the draft this season -- and several teams have amassed like 18 of them. Curious if we can make a deal for one of the picks the Blues picked up, since they're sort of half-rebuilding, half-contending. Barabanov to the Blues for a 1st would be nice.

Though I imagine that 1st is coming from a Karlsson deal in the summer.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
For all the slack the Oilers get about building around McDavid and Draisaitl since 2015, they have done a decent job the last few years. Nuge, Hyman, Kane, Nurse, Barrie, Ceci. It would have looked better if Puljujarvi hadn't busted. If the Sharks could eventually have that kind of supporting cast around Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson and Eklund with a few other youngsters I think they might be okay in the end.

I also don't think it will take ten years to make the playoffs like some are suggesting. That may be when the team is gearing up for a Cup run if the pieces fall into place. Think of Toronto, they drafted Nylander in 2014, and nine years later, after getting Marner and Matthews, they are finally truly going all in with the two trades they've made recently. It could work similarly here with Eklund/Bedard/top 5 in '24 (preferably D imo) and then in 2030ish range they are going for it after a few years in the playoffs.

It could be worse, you could be a Chicago fan, whose team is doing a teardown after trading for Jones, signing him to an expensive extension that he isn't worth, and giving up Boqvist and Jiricek, and even giving up on a top talent in Dach before he turns 23.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
We need more 1st round picks in the draft this season -- and several teams have amassed like 18 of them. Curious if we can make a deal for one of the picks the Blues picked up, since they're sort of half-rebuilding, half-contending. Barabanov to the Blues for a 1st would be nice.

Though I imagine that 1st is coming from a Karlsson deal in the summer.
I think we will get another first between now and draft. Wont be a high one, but we will have more to work with I imagine

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I really can't see an 8-10 year rebuild, but maybe I'm too optimistic. I think we have some good pieces, I think we'll get another great piece this draft (and hopefully we get very lucky and get THE great piece). At that point, if we sign the right guys/the right guys take off, I don't see it as a crazy thing that we can be competitive again. I do agree with Jux though -- we're at the mercy of lottery luck right now.

Still, if Bystedt keeps developing and actually becomes a 2C for example, and we get one of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov or Benson, those are some really strong pieces coming together for us. Lots of maybes but not all hope is lost.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
San Jose isn’t New Jersey, so the likelihood he produces at the same level is relatively low

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I really can't see an 8-10 year rebuild, but maybe I'm too optimistic. I think we have some good pieces, I think we'll get another great piece this draft (and hopefully we get very lucky and get THE great piece). At that point, if we sign the right guys/the right guys take off, I don't see it as a crazy thing that we can be competitive again. I do agree with Jux though -- we're at the mercy of lottery luck right now.

Still, if Bystedt keeps developing and actually becomes a 2C for example, and we get one of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov or Benson, those are some really strong pieces coming together for us. Lots of maybes but not all hope is lost.
Usually an 8-10 year rebuild only happens because they had to restart because the first attempt failed. It takes a lot of discipline and strong scouting to commit and do it right the first time. Although I'm not sure if there are any teams that really optimized their tanks and hit on the 4 year rebuild. Maybe Grier does it?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Usually an 8-10 year rebuild only happens because they had to restart because the first attempt failed. It takes a lot of discipline and strong scouting to commit and do it right the first time. Although I'm not sure if there are any teams that really optimized their tanks and hit on the 4 year rebuild. Maybe Grier does it?
It also takes being very smart. Few teams exit the rebuild and do anything of note

Even now Edmonton pales in comparison to teams in the east

Reactions: one2gamble

Tap11

Feb 26, 2023
While I am underwhelmed by the value (would rather quality over quantity), I am getting to the point of acceptance. Probably not a better deal on the table and at least Grier seems to realize that a rebuild is required. Still wonder what we will do with all the left-handed defencemen.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
While I am underwhelmed by the value (would rather quality over quantity), I am getting to the point of acceptance. Probably not a better deal on the table and at least Grier seems to realize that a rebuild is required. Still wonder what we will do with all the left-handed defencemen.
Its too bad Karlsson is probably gone in the summer. We could use him to make Macdonald or Okhotiuk into the next Middleton and continue the cycle

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
You're so ill informed that you don't even know the players names. Get out of here.
What player Westerlund well its a Lund who cares the Sharks and Smart guy Grier got taken to the cleaners big time! Perhaps in a decade the Sharks could be climbing out last place with deals like the boneheaded crap Mikey Grier the son of the ex-coach of the New England Patriots pulled

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Well I know ONE person who is happy about the trade…

B5758C18-915A-4548-A2E1-3F0803E0292A.jpeg

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

I'm not gonna lie, I am pretty high on Mukham. Playing top-line minutes in the KHL is legit. KHL is probably the 2nd best league after the NHL. So for being 21, when a ton of his peers are still playing either juniors or AHL, I think that shows something. Those Russians aren't exactly soft either. Kids got the size, speed, stick handling to be a real solid defenseman. Everything is pointing to him making that next step in terms of defensive acumen. Throw some NA physical conditioning on that frame and probably add a good 20 pounds of muscle easy. Kid has all the tools to be a franchise defenseman in the hold of Hedman. Take some development, but I think this kid could be just an absolute win. Throw on potentially 2 firsts and all the prospect swaps, and San Jose's future is WAY better now than it was before the trade happened. Even Hatakka for Okhotiuk is a bump to our prospect pool. Great way for GMMG to start the rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad