Confirmed with Link: Meier, Harrington, 3 prospects, Col's '24 5th to Devils for 2023 1st, Zetterlund, Johanson, Okhotiuk, Mukhamadullin, conditional 2024 1st, '24 7th

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Its too bad Karlsson is probably gone in the summer. We could use him to make Macdonald or Okhotiuk into the next Middleton and continue the cycle

I hope Quinn doesn't put MacDonald and EK together. Jacob is far too wild west to handle being EK's partner the way he's been used this season.

Reactions: timorous me

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I'm not gonna lie, I am pretty high on Mukham. Playing top-line minutes in the KHL is legit. KHL is probably the 2nd best league after the NHL. So for being 21, when a ton of his peers are still playing either juniors or AHL, I think that shows something. Those Russians aren't exactly soft either. Kids got the size, speed, stick handling to be a real solid defenseman. Everything is pointing to him making that next step in terms of defensive acumen. Throw some NA physical conditioning on that frame and probably add a good 20 pounds of muscle easy. Kid has all the tools to be a franchise defenseman in the hold of Hedman. Take some development, but I think this kid could be just an absolute win. Throw on potentially 2 firsts and all the prospect swaps, and San Jose's future is WAY better now than it was before the trade happened. Even Hatakka for Okhotiuk is a bump to our prospect pool. Great way for GMMG to start the rebuild.
Grier and the scouts knew what they were doing. Grier said they see his improvement. That sounds great. I like your optimistic look at Muk. I’m glad he’s here.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
What player Westerlund well its a Lund who cares the Sharks and Smart guy Grier got taken to the cleaners big time! Perhaps in a decade the Sharks could be climbing out last place with deals like the boneheaded crap Mikey Grier the son of the ex-coach of the New England Patriots pulled
Is this English? It doesn’t feel like it.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I'm not gonna lie, I am pretty high on Mukham. Playing top-line minutes in the KHL is legit. KHL is probably the 2nd best league after the NHL. So for being 21, when a ton of his peers are still playing either juniors or AHL, I think that shows something. Those Russians aren't exactly soft either. Kids got the size, speed, stick handling to be a real solid defenseman. Everything is pointing to him making that next step in terms of defensive acumen. Throw some NA physical conditioning on that frame and probably add a good 20 pounds of muscle easy. Kid has all the tools to be a franchise defenseman in the hold of Hedman. Take some development, but I think this kid could be just an absolute win. Throw on potentially 2 firsts and all the prospect swaps, and San Jose's future is WAY better now than it was before the trade happened. Even Hatakka for Okhotiuk is a bump to our prospect pool. Great way for GMMG to start the rebuild.

Yeah, I agree. I think Okhotiuk sounds fascinating too - he’d be great paired with like a Havelid or Kniazev (if he puts it together finally).

We have such terrible defensive prospects that we needed a trade like this.. and several
more. I’m much less worried about our offensive future than I am about our D.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Yeah, I agree. I think Okhotiuk sounds fascinating too - he’d be great paired with like a Havelid or Kniazev (if he puts it together finally).

We have such terrible defensive prospects that we needed a trade like this.. and several
more. I’m much less worried about our offensive future than I am about our D.

Just watching this kid play D compared to someone like Merkley is literally night and day.

This kid probably better at 21 than Mirco Mueller last time I saw him.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Just watching this kid play D compared to someone like Merkley is literally night and day.

This kid probably better at 21 than Mirco Mueller last time I saw him.

Love his skating, really smooth for a guy of his size - a little Burns-esque. You’re right, some muscle on this kid, he’s only going to get faster and stronger.

What I like is that every person who evaluates him talks about him getting better every season, working hard on fixing his faults, etc. a guy like that can exceed expectations (already is) - he has all the physical tools. Can’t wait to see him in the AHL.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I found this interesting take on the trade
“The Sharks just traded a 35-goal power forward for a collection that doesn’t include anyone projected to score 10-plus goals a year in the NHL.”

Time will tell on this one but Initially on the surface it looks suss at best
Interesting in that you believe it, that you understand that it is patently false, or you are one of those people who re-post things without any consideration that Zetterlund has 9 goals in 59 NHL games?

Is this English? It doesn’t feel like it.
AI chatbot

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Maybe it's just copium but I'm very high on Muk as well, he's come a long way since his draft year

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Interesting in that you believe it, that you understand that it is patently false, or you are one of those people who re-post things without any consideration that Zetterlund has 9 goals in 59 NHL games?

AI chatbot
I’m sorry your fan boying is clouding your judgment, that came from an NHL scout not me

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I’m sorry your fan boying is clouding your judgment, that came from an NHL scout not me

He has 6 goals in 45 games this season. The chance he becomes a regular 13-18 goal scorer at least is pretty high. Not to mention the scout has no idea what the Devils 23 1st or 24 1st/2nd will turn out into. Maybe they draft the next Aho or DeBrincat.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
He has 6 goals in 45 games this season. The chance he becomes a regular 13-18 goal scorer at least is pretty high. Not to mention the scout has no idea what the Devils 23 1st or 24 1st/2nd will turn out into. Maybe they draft the next Aho or DeBrincat.
Exactly. Who says a scout can't be full of shit themselves?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

I think you are focused on the wrong aspects of the trade. You are never going to get a quality for quality trade in this kind of situation. The people thinking we were gonna get Mercer are simply unaware of what fair value is in the league. San Jose walked away with a decent quantity of good pieces. Nothing great, but there is a lot there that could potentially become something. That is how these trades always go down. You are moving a sure thing for lotto tickets and hoping you get lucky.

Zetterlund probably isn't going to be a superstar in the NHL. But I think he'll benefit from a change of scenery and an organization that values his style of play. He honestly kind of reminds me of Barclay Goodrow.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Was interesting to hear on 32 Thoughts that the return was weakened by Meier not wanting to sign an extension yet. As a human, i 100% support that move (never understood why someone would sign an 8-year contract to live in a city/area they've never lived in before), but it sucks for us in that we couldn't get more value out of the player.

I just hope the Devils aren't able to recuperate more than we got if they flip him at some point in the next two years

Last edited:
Reactions: timorous me

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
Who cares what he says? GMs and coaches say stuff all the time. They know how important it is to use their words carefully otherwise people on message boards dissect every word with tin foil hats on and try to decode every little stupid thing.
I bet those season ticket holders who pay a big chunk of change are going to think long and hard about renewing their tickets if the team is in a rebuild and having wool pulled over their eyes? The world just doesn’t exist in this forum. If the Sharks are going to pull in 5k in attendance per night (and they’re not too far off right now), we are going to hear talk of relocation.

Exactly. Who says a scout can't be full of shit themselves?
I think the quote was more hyperbole than anything and not meant to be taken literally. But yes, the sharks just traded timo Meier for three scratch off tickets.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Was interesting to here on 32 Thoughts that the return was weakened by Meier not wanting to sign an extension yet. As a human, i 100% support that move (never understood why someone would sign an 8-year contract to live in a city/area they've never lived in before), but it sucks for us in that we couldn't get more value out of the player.

I just hope the Devils aren't able to recuperate more than we got if they flip him at some point in the next two years

If there had been an extension, would Mercer have been the main/extra piece? Or would it have just been a solidified 24 1st? I wonder.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
If there had been an extension, would Mercer have been the main/extra piece? Or would it have just been a solidified 24 1st? I wonder.
I get the feeling that Mercer played his way out of availability. If he was on a 10 game cold streak (instead of red hot), maybe

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I get the feeling that Mercer played his way out of availability. If he was on a 10 game cold streak (instead of red hot), maybe
Going on a hot streak wasn’t going to change anything just as going cold wasn’t going to make him suddenly available

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

I doubt that. Holland wouldn't stop a Karlsson deal just because he had 7 points in his last 10 games instead of 14. Mercer was just ultimately viewed as untouchable for where they are at, which is trying to win a Cup the next 5 years, and that probably wouldn't have changed, hot streak or not.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Was interesting to hear on 32 Thoughts that the return was weakened by Meier not wanting to sign an extension yet. As a human, i 100% support that move (never understood why someone would sign an 8-year contract to live in a city/area they've never lived in before), but it sucks for us in that we couldn't get more value out of the player.

Devil’s advocate here, but how much more do you think we would have gotten for a signed Meier? I know it would have been more, but we got a first round pick (albeit late), a quality prospect taken in the first in Muk, a conditional late first/second, a middle 6 roster player. a B/C prospect and a cap dump.

We gave up some pieces but nothing I think we will miss (Hatakka, maybe), a 7th, and took on 1/2 of a season’s retention on Meier.

Just trying to get a sense of what more would have been realistic if Meier had signed an extension. No conditionality on the other first, a better prospect than Okhotiuk? I am not convinced an extension would have made any of the 3 big names from the Devils available.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad