Proposal: McGroarty to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It’s also worth mentioning that Arizona had 7 of the first 45 picks in that draft, so they were in a unique position to leverage those assets into a premium one. Not every team would be able/willing to do something like that. And they dealt them to SJ, who was a newly rebuilding team who wanted as many picks as possible, which likely doesn’t match the Jets’ situation.

EDIT: My overall point is that even though the pick value of the deal makes sense, McGroarty’s value has likely exceeded his pick slot, not just because he had a good season, but also because he’s 3 years closer to the NHL than the picks he is theoretically getting traded for. Maybe some teams would trade McGroarty for that, but a team like Winnipeg would almost certainly not.
Meh I think he goes about the same spot. He goes above Savoie, maybe Kasper and Geekie. But then you also have Yurov who's clearly ahead. Lekkerimaki, Kemell, Ohgren, Lambert, Kulich with pro production already are probably in the conversation as well. I haven't looked at defenseman, but hard to ignore Hutson.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Is this news from the same people that said that Kent Hughes turned down a 1st round pick for Josh Anderson in 2022?
Unknown if same guy or not. LeBrun reported a substantial offer for Anderson was on the table. Back on '22 deadline. I don't think he broke this story. Unless he did and I never seen it

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Unknown if same guy or not. LeBrun reported a substantial offer for Anderson was on the table. Back on '22 deadline. I don't think he broke this story. Unless he did and I never seen it
The real question is why would Hughes turn down a substantial offer for Anderson?

Reactions: Huffer

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
I think we can put the possibility of Winnipeg accepting a lowball offer because of "reasons" until at least the TDL.
How do you determine what is a low ball offer other than putting it up against another offer. Perhaps what you are calling a low ball offer is what the market value is.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
How do you determine what is a low ball offer other than putting it up against another offer. Perhaps what you are calling a low ball offer is what the market value is.
Maybe, but unlikely. That's why it's best for the Jets to wait until at least the TDL. There's simply nothing in this offer worth moving McGroarty for at this point. A few meh picks a year in the future don't do anything for Winnipeg now.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Maybe, but unlikely. That's why it's best for the Jets to wait until at least the TDL. There's simply nothing in this offer worth moving McGroarty for at this point. A few meh picks a year in the future don't do anything for Winnipeg now.
TD and as time goes by, his value will decrease.

Other then his fans imagination, in what world him getting closer to FA makes him more valuable.

Cheve is smart, astute trader so the fact he hasn't traded him is the perceived value by other GMs is not what he likes. There aren't many Blakes in the NHL.

• Haha
Reactions: BLONG7 and TS Quint

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the rare occasion where the habs offer too much in the proposal
Probably the largest group of posters on HF are Hab fans. Which also means a lot of variance in opinion.

Regardless, what Habs need is not rocket science. A bit of common sense can go a long way in these trade proposals.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Damaged goods...

Is it that hard to understand that on any given team the players had to EARN their way to the NHL and this guy is demanding a spot?

That alone will turn off a lot if not most GMs. It certainly going to piss off a lot of players too, both vets and those working their ass off to make it.

This is strictly of his own making and he hurt his value to the Jets and himself.

If i was a Jets fan i would be absolutely furious at such a selfish player, but please, don't expect others to ignore his reality.
Or maybe McGroarty would just rather go back to the University of Michigan for one more year rather than ride the buses in the AHL if Winnipeg will not commit to him being on the NHL roster? That's certainly his choice, and one I do not see an issue with.

Reactions: Huffer

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
That's assuming the CGY/FLO pick in a late 1st. It could very well be the 11th pick OV or, if the stars are all alligned, a top 10 pick (unlikely but still)

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Is it possible you're mistaking value with the reason he might be available?
Not really no. The reason someone might be available affects their value. Just as how they play after their draft year and any injuries they have since their draft year or any off ice issues they've had since. The idea that because one team picked a player at a certain point in the draft, that means their trade value is at least the same pick 25 months later defies both logic and history.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Or maybe McGroarty would just rather go back to the University of Michigan for one more year rather than ride the buses in the AHL if Winnipeg will not commit to him being on the NHL roster? That's certainly his choice, and one I do not see an issue with.
The probabilty of him riding this out to FA is very high. Maybe even certainty. He can see his "freedom" in multi months rather then multi years.

I feel for Jet fans and glad we have nothing to do with this me-moi.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
We could had Zegras for similar. Going by offer we turned down for Zegras. McGroarty his skating don't fit with Habs. Montreal is looking for speed and skill.

I know it's good to have a mix. Makes a team harder to plan as against. But McGoarty probably going too far.
There is no way the Ducks would trade Zegras for a probable late 1st round pick and two 2nds.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
TD and as time goes by, his value will decrease.

Other then his fans imagination, in what world him getting closer to FA makes him more valuable.

Cheve is smart, astute trader so the fact he hasn't traded him is the perceived value by other GMs is not what he likes. There aren't many Blakes in the NHL.
Just because you want that to be true to suit your narrative, doesn't mean that it is. Fans always believe they can get something for nothing. It just never happens in reality.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just because you want that to be true to suit your narrative, doesn't mean that it is. Fans always believe they can get something for nothing. It just never happens in reality.
What fans trades dream almost never happens because it's slathered in hope.

In Habs case, BargainBin is now plying his destruction in LA. Hughes is a completely different GM with a goal, a plan and a lot of patience.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
There is risk involved in anything.Catch a bad rut in the ice maybe the beginning of the end for a player. No rush for the Habs to do a deal here ether.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
There is risk involved in anything.Catch a bad rut in the ice maybe the beginning of the end for a player. No rush for the Habs to do a deal here ether.
Or he could go out and score 60 goals. It doesn't always have to be the negative worst case scenario.

I don't think the Jets are set on dealing him to Montreal, so it's no big deal if they aren't interested. The OP is a Montreal fan asking for him and the consensus from Jets fans is that McGroarty won't be traded before the TDL, barring a deal that floors Chevy.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Or he could go out and score 60 goals. It doesn't always have to be the negative worst case scenario.

I don't think the Jets are set on dealing him to Montreal, so it's no big deal if they aren't interested. The OP is a Montreal fan asking for him and the consensus from Jets fans is that McGroarty won't be traded before the TDL, barring a deal that floors Chevy.
Things will bare out one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad