Proposal: McGroarty to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
The ship has sailed. IMHO, the time to trade for McG was at the draft. As a Hab fan, the most that I would have been comfortable trading would have been the second 1st round pick and Guhle.

I know that my fellow Hab fans would scream massive over payment, but I am not the biggest Guhle fan.
Guhle alone is worth alot more then McG and we are the ones adding a 1st..... :facepalm:

mfilipo3

Jan 13, 2017
Ask yourself if you could trade those picks for where he was drafted. Answer is no.

Nobody will take a late 1st and 2 2nd for a high teen pick
Or risk him walking away and only get a 2nd rd pick for compensation?

You’re right, that package probably isn’t enough on draft day to move up that high. But if this guy already said he’s not signing in Winnipeg, their hands are a bit tied

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Or risk him walking away and only get a 2nd rd pick for compensation?

You’re right, that package probably isn’t enough on draft day to move up that high. But if this guy already said he’s not signing in Winnipeg, their hands are a bit tied
Where did he say that? As far as I know he hasn't said anything publicly.

Reactions: Tasteless Beaver

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The entitlement that McGroarty has shown with his demands make him a non-starter for the Habs. You have to earn you spot and not expect it to be gifted. Imagine what contract negotiations will be like on McG's next contract. Forget it. Not worth the trouble.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’d say play him good minutes this season to pump up his value at the trade deadline. But man… he has zero IQ and drags down a line. I was high on him at first, but it’s just painful to watch at this point.

Guhle for McGroarty straight up would get KH fired.

Anderson has more than what he has offered (especially last season). Truth is in the middle and what you see is fans jumping on someone when they are down. It happens over and over again

This type of player is targeted for playoff style hockey. Problem is you want it at a fraction of his cap hit.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The question is, why would the Habs not take a 1st for him when offered? Seems like he doesn't really fit their contention window.

Because the 1st was offered before last season and he was trending a bit better. Not many expected him to get worse (even the fans who never liked him). Trust me, Hughes doesn't evaluate Anderson like you see on HF boards or the internet.

If Anderson was a UFA this summer, he would still get interest from lots of GM's. It's all about his cap hit being too high (today).

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Because the 1st was offered before last season and he was trending a bit better. Not many expected him to get worse (even the fans who never liked him). Trust me, Hughes doesn't evaluate Anderson like you see on HF boards or the internet.

If Anderson was a UFA this summer, he would still get interest from lots of GM's. It's all about his cap hit being too high (today).
That's sort of my point. If a team was offering a 1st for Anderson, Hughes obviously thought he had more value than that. In retrospect, that seems a bit short-sighted but time will tell if he can end up getting more value out of him. On the surface, it seems that having another 1st round pick in one of the last two drafts would have fit the Habs' needs and time window better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's sort of my point. If a team was offering a 1st for Anderson, Hughes obviously thought he had more value than that. In retrospect, that seems a bit short-sighted but time will tell if he can end up getting more value out of him. On the surface, it seems that having another 1st round pick in one of the last two drafts would have fit the Habs' needs and time window better.

Chances are it was a late 1st. Anderson has time to rebound and I am willing to bet he comes into this season ready. He's not dumb... he knows how bad his season was last year. I'm not that worried about it. Habs have plenty of cap flexibility in the 3 year term that is left. I have seen players go up/down many times before. Does Hughes regret not taking the 1st? Probably yes, but is he worried like fans are? I don't think so.

Anyways, this should be about McGroarty. Doubt Anderson will be involved if the Jets and Habs agree on a McGroarty trade.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Anderson has more than what he has offered (especially last season). Truth is in the middle and what you see is fans jumping on someone when they are down. It happens over and over again

This type of player is targeted for playoff style hockey. Problem is you want it at a fraction of his cap hit.
Anderson is extremely inconsistent. Shows up and plays that physical game 1/4-5 games. Always against the leafs haha. It’s been like that for 3 years at least. By nature I don’t jump on people or shit on them. But he was a 4th round pick for a reason. He has zero IQ, hurts whatever lines he is on and doesn’t play a consistent enough game to even have a clear role coaches can trust

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Or he could go out and score 60 goals. It doesn't always have to be the negative worst case scenario.

I don't think the Jets are set on dealing him to Montreal, so it's no big deal if they aren't interested. The OP is a Montreal fan asking for him and the consensus from Jets fans is that McGroarty won't be traded before the TDL, barring a deal that floors Chevy.
The Jets are on the clock here ether to deal or come to terms with the player.If they choose trade him what is value? Has he made suggestions as to where he would prefer to go? Think Adam Fox. If he has a team in in mind and he is firm on it then he has no trade value other than the charity of the desired team to any other suitors.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
The question is, why would the Habs not take a 1st for him when offered? Seems like he doesn't really fit their contention window.
The explanation for not trading that I have read is that the kind of of player he is as in size, toughness and speed would be that if one traded him away the team trading him would be back on the market looking for that kind of player. With Anderson it has about the potential he has not met.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The Jets are on the clock here ether to deal or come to terms with the player.If they choose trade him what is value? Has he made suggestions as to where he would prefer to go? Think Adam Fox. If he has a team in in mind and he is firm on it then he has no trade value other than the charity of the desired team to any other suitors.
Yes you can use all kinds of low probability scenarios to justify far below market value offers, but again they are no more likely than McGroarty being willing to go to any team and being in high demand by multiple teams.

So, why waste time worrying about an extremely unlikely worst case scenario when there hasn't been any indication of it being even a slight possibility.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes you can use all kinds of low probability scenarios to justify far below market value offers, but again they are no more likely than McGroarty being willing to go to any team and being in high demand by multiple teams.

So, why waste time worrying about an extremely unlikely worst case scenario when there hasn't been any indication of it being even a slight possibility.
After this season, he has 1 year left before becoming a free agent, correct? In that circumstance, next offeason any team trading for McG will likely require a contract in place with him to mitigate the risk of him playing himself to free agency. Therefore, its a bit more complicated that a simple trade.

Reactions: viceroy

Whileee

May 29, 2010
McGroarty's "floor" value is a mid-2nd pick (#47 overall). Jets have that leverage and can also force McGroarty and another team to wait until August 2026, delaying his availability, development and earning power. That gives the Jets considerable leverage with McGroarty (in case he severely limits potential trade destinations) and teams that won't want the risk and delay of waiting until 2026, when they could start his pro career late this season.

Referring to Fox, even though he limited destinations and the base compensation was only a 4th round pick, he garnered 2 second round picks in trade.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
After this season, he has 1 year left before becoming a free agent, correct? In that circumstance, next offeason any team trading for McG will likely require a contract in place with him to mitigate the risk of him playing himself to free agency. Therefore, its a bit more complicated that a simple trade.
That's a long way away in the future and a lot can happen in a year. You're again trying to bank on the worst case scenario to justify lowball offers.

In actuality, the deal, if there is one, will most likely fall between the best and worst case scenarios, so don't fret so much trying to rationalize poor offers.

It's way too early to start discussing bad value, panic trades. It's not Chevy's first rodeo.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020

From a person who does buy and sell I would say that the fact the player has not moved shows the asking price at this time is more than the market value of the player though I do admit there is no panic at this time for the Jets but the clock is ticking.

Reactions: Junohockeyfan

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Referring to Fox, even though he limited destinations and the base compensation was only a 4th round pick, he garnered 2 second round picks in trade.
Charity from the Rangers

Yes you can use all kinds of low probability scenarios to justify far below market value offers, but again they are no more likely than McGroarty being willing to go to any team and being in high demand by multiple team
What are the offers being made? Seems to be a lot of dismissals without laying what the offers are.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Charity from the Rangers

What are the offers being made? Seems to be a lot of dismissals without laying what the offers are.
I don't think the Rangers are that charitable. I think that they and Fox both were motivated by the timeline to get him signed and into the Rangers' organization as soon as possible. As it was, in his rookie season (2019-20) he was immediately an impact player and actually won the Norris Trophy the next season. So, the Rangers benefited substantially by turning him pro a year earlier than they otherwise would have.

Interestingly, the picks that the Canes got from the Rangers in exchange for Fox (#37 and #41 overall) have an equivalent value to a mid-1st round pick. Ironically, the Canes could have picked Brock Faber with one of those picks (they chose Gunler ahead of him).

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
The entitlement that McGroarty has shown with his demands make him a non-starter for the Habs. You have to earn you spot and not expect it to be gifted. Imagine what contract negotiations will be like on McG's next contract. Forget it. Not worth the trouble.
Slaf didn't have to earn a spot. Kotkaniemi didn't need to earn a spot. Lots of players on bad teams like the Habs don't earn their time.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That's a long way away in the future and a lot can happen in a year. You're again trying to bank on the worst case scenario to justify lowball offers.

In actuality, the deal, if there is one, will most likely fall between the best and worst case scenarios, so don't fret so much trying to rationalize poor offers.

It's way too early to start discussing bad value, panic trades. It's not Chevy's first rodeo.
I am not discussing worst case scenario or value. I am talking reality. Any trade is much more complicated than a typical trade. It will likely require a deal in place due to the risk.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Slaf didn't have to earn a spot. Kotkaniemi didn't need to earn a spot. Lots of players on bad teams like the Habs don't earn their time.
Slaf earned his spot. He spent time in the AHL. KK earned his spot as the Habs were weak at C. Both of them were not gifted spots prior to signing a contract.

Mcgroarty outright demanded a spot. That’s an entitled problem child.

Reactions: HabsAddict
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad