Proposal: McGroarty to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NCAA prospects do this all the time. He's not more damaged than most good American prospects drafted in the last 15 years.
"Not more damaged"...

From a Habs point of view i don't want him on the team. We have a pile of prospects in Laval fighting for spots..and this guy demanding one.

Imagine how fustrating it would be for Beck, who is his equal. Kapanen? Toiling and hoping while McG gets a pass.

He's not that special to accomodate his demands so it's a hard pass from me.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
"Not more damaged"...

From a Habs point of view i don't want him on the team. We have a pile of prospects in Laval fighting for spots..and this guy demanding one.

Imagine how fustrating it would be for Beck, who is his equal. Kapanen? Toiling and hoping while McG gets a pass.

He is quite a bit better of a prospect than Owen Beck, and could for sure play in the NHL right now. While I also don't think he should be assured a spot in the top 9 Montreal is one of the few teams who could almost certainly give him that right now with the way their roster is laid out.
We also don't actually know how those conversations went, I mean Devon Levi had discussions with Buffalo coming out of college about not wanting to have his path blocked before committing and this could be similar and kinda getting construed as something a lot more controversial

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
In pick value you assign the worst case. That 1st is very complicated and can turn turn a 26 pick easily
It can range from anywhere between 11 and 32. Most likely high 10’s to low 20’s as Florida lost a lot of depth this off-season
Hes only signing there if they guarantee him a spot on their NHL roster.

He hasn't signed with Winnipeg because they flat out refused to gift him a roster spot, that's something you gotta earn.
That’s not exactly what happened. He saw his teammates and friends get an NHL contract and play a couple regular season games. Doing so after coming from the NCAA burn a year off your ELC.

He never asked for a guaranteed spot, he asked for at least an NHL game - Which is pretty common from players signing from the NCAA - and Winnipeg didn’t want to grant it to him, so now he’s sticking it up to them.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
From McGro to Wayne Gro, How to become an instant pariah by Rutger McGroarty.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He is quite a bit better of a prospect than Owen Beck, and could for sure play in the NHL right now. While I also don't think he should be assured a spot in the top 9 Montreal is one of the few teams who could almost certainly give him that right now with the way their roster is laid out.
We also don't actually know how those conversations went, I mean Devon Levi had discussions with Buffalo coming out of college about not wanting to have his path blocked before committing and this could be similar and kinda getting construed as something a lot more controversial
I'm not sure he's that much better then Beck. Beck has come a long way but if you think so, you're entitled to that opinion.

What the Habs were looking for pre Demidov was another top 6, not a top 9. After Demidov, they have Newhook, Dach, CC, Slaf and Suzuki.Then there is the need to upgrade the mddle 9, where Beck, Kapanen, Hage, Roy, future draft and FA signings come in. Adding another mid 9 means nothing special.

Demidov changed everything from the Habs forward needs point of view.

Of course there is always the cost of acquisition, but his demands wont go away. Besides Chevy is going to want someone like Newhook which is NEVER going to happen.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
"Not more damaged"...

McGroarty would not be competing for the same spot as Beck/Kapanen.

It's more like competition for Newhook/Roy.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Are you insinuating Hughes is too dumb to know how to be a GM?

It also happened in Montreal before. RFA Josh Anderson comes to mind.
No I'm saying players who don't want to sign with their draft clubs, don't typically want to play in Montreal either. At least I don't remember any team jumper jumping to Montreal. May this be because of the GM or the agent, or the player, I don't know.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
"Not more damaged"...

Beck is not his equal.

And Kapanen is not close.

I do get your not wanting to trade for him though. The Habs are loaded with youth and prospects.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Damaged goods...

Is it that hard to understand that on any given team the players had to EARN their way to the NHL and this guy is demanding a spot?

That alone will turn off a lot if not most GMs. It certainly going to piss off a lot of players too, both vets and those working their ass off to make it.

This is strictly of his own making and he hurt his value to the Jets and himself.

If i was a Jets fan i would be absolutely furious at such a selfish player, but please, don't expect others to ignore his reality.
The Habs love the strategy of handing prospects apots they havent earned. Montreal is the perfect place for McG with their history of handing roster spots to players like Slaf and Kotkaniemi. McG is way further along than either one of those guys when the Habs broke them in.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No I'm saying players who don't want to sign with their draft clubs, don't typically want to play in Montreal either. At least I don't remember any team jumper jumping to Montreal. May this be because of the GM or the agent, or the player, I don't know.
Up until now, there wasn't much of a team to want to jump to. From owning the Promsed Land when i was young, the last 30 years has been painful.

Let's see what happens within a year or three....

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
To Montreal :

1. Rutger McGroarty
To Winnipeg
  1. CAL/FLA 1st. If the pick lands in the top 10 CAL keeps the pick and Winnipeg gets Florida’ 1st. Most likely in the range 24-32.
  2. Montreal 2nd. Probably in the 33-41 range.
  3. Pittsburgh 2nd. Most likely in the 43-52 range.
Montreal gets a young, physical player with a good shot that is NHL ready and that fit their roster like a glove. Montreal doesn’t need anymore late picks or 2nd as their prospect pool is overflowing and they need quality and NHL ready player. It’s time to consolidate all those assets into something tangible. They also don’t have a top 6 powerforward prospect in their pool. Especially not with a shot like that.

Winnipeg will now have two 1st and two 2nd. Including their own 1st, they will now have 4 picks in the first 55 picks of next year draft that is expected to be a really good one.

If they want to contend they can use those picks to upgrade their roster.

Or if they want to play the two timeline game they can use those picks to add to their prospect pool for the future. The players they draft in this draft should be ready to take over when their current core ages out of their prime. That’s assuming they hit on those picks of course. They can also combine those picks in some way to move up in the draft. Pretty sure they could combine 2 lates 1st into a mid-first and both of those early 2nd into a late-mid 1st. Either way, they can get creative with it.

The CAL/FLA 1st has a small chance to be a very good one. Small chance Calgary finishes in the 11-15 range if they overperform/don’t tank properly.
We could had Zegras for similar. Going by offer we turned down for Zegras. McGroarty his skating don't fit with Habs. Montreal is looking for speed and skill.

I know it's good to have a mix. Makes a team harder to plan as against. But McGoarty probably going too far.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
We could had Zegras for similar. Going by offer we turned down for Zegras. McGroarty his skating don't fit with Habs. Montreal is looking for speed and skill.

I know it's good to have a mix. Makes a team harder to plan as against. But McGoarty probably going too far.
There was no offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $707.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta