Dreger: McDavid may cost 14 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Crosbys first 8y of the contract have

12, 12, 12, 10.9, 10.9, 10, 9, 9.6 = avg 10.8 per season.

In 2013/14 the cap was at 64.3m so Sids avg salary was around 16.8% of the cap. This would mean McDavids deal would be close to 100m for 8y -> 12.5 per year.

In the end, i think it will come down to this amount.

They will have issues, look whom they have to extend this and next year. They will pay ~40m for two lines.

Crosby's cap hit has been $8.7m for years, never gone above. Are you looking at salary rather than cap hit?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
you got to love Connor. To be 20 years old and banking a 100 million...so skilled that extra oozes out your jeans pocket...and with a gorgeous gf on your arm.

Oh to be Connor. What a life!

He deserves the max and shouldn't have to take a penny less. It's the GM's responsibility not to overpay the 2.5 - 3 million $$$ players by giving them 5 and 6 million $$$ deals. It's the other players who need to take the discount for the privilege of playing with McD.

but I bet in the end Connor leaves money on the table...because that's the type of team first player and Captain he is.

His parents raised him right.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Crosby's cap hit has been $8.7m for years, never gone above. Are you looking at salary rather than cap hit?

Yes because it is the only way to compare. You can not seriously compare a 12year deal with 3 cheap years to an upcoming 8y deal. Or do you think McDavid will accept 2 or 3 years at significant lower level? Almost all 8y deals are more or less stable. The times are over where you buy extra cheap years at the end of the contract.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That's it? ;)
Should be proportionate to the percentage of team offence(and defence) he provides.
What would that make it?

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

McDavid isn't allowed to sign for more than 8 years. Take out the last 4 years of the Crosby deal and you see his "equal" contract.
All the prime years after a great ELC Performance and nothing to take down the average at the end of the contract when he is 34-36.

Going by the max of 8 years during his prime the Crosby Cap Hit would have been 10.8 Million starting 2013-14.

Note: I like the Crosby contract and the structure.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Oilers need to give him a blank cheque. League max. Period. He deserves every penny.

Any team in the league would offer sheet him at league max.

SuperDuper101

May 15, 2013
Sure he might be able to get the maximum, but there is an element of this people are forgetting. He stands to make more money in endorsements if the team is successful and if his point totals are higher (from having quality line-mates). As such, it might be in his best interest to take 10-11M per season in the interest of a stronger lineup that could win him multiple Stanley Cups + all the endorsements for the rest of his career and post-career that come with that. Otherwise he'll just be another 100 point player who never won anything - not nearly as marketable.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Going by the max of 8 years during his prime the Crosby Cap Hit would have been 10.8 Million starting 2013-14.

This is where I was headed. Cap is up about 14% since 2013-2014, so I would anticipate the McDavid is looking at a deal in the range of 8 years, 100 million dollars (12.5 AAV).

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
He could very well command that but if he is smart and wants a better chance at a cup he would revise it down to nearer $10m. $14m is a lot for one player. Nearly 20% of the cap.

For the Oilers sake I hope he does, but if I'm Connor McDavid there's no chance in hell I'm leaving $32 million dollars on the table.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I like how other team fans are cheering him on to take the max. Just realize if he does get ready to pay any ppg player from now on starting at over 10 million and your 60 pt forwards getting 8 million . Elite dman over 10 and 50 point ones well over 8 :nod: Be careful what you wish for.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
you got to love Connor. To be 20 years old and banking a 100 million...so skilled that extra oozes out your jeans pocket...and with a gorgeous gf on your arm.

Oh to be Connor. What a life!

He deserves the max and shouldn't have to take a penny less. It's the GM's responsibility not to overpay the 2.5 - 3 million $$$ players by giving them 5 and 6 million $$$ deals. It's the other players who need to take the discount for the privilege of playing with McD.

but I bet in the end Connor leaves money on the table...because that's the type of team first player and Captain he is.

His parents raised him right.

What players on the oilers that are worth 2-3M have Chiarelli signed for 5-6M? Please answer me this question. Because the answer to this question is 0. Lol don't be an ass and exaggerate your point so that your argument looks better.

In all reality, the only player Chiarelli is looking like he's going to overpay is Russell. But if you look at the D market, I think 4x4 is likely the deal Russell will land on anyways, so it's not really an overpay, just not getting a discount. But that's far and away different from overpaying by 2-3M. The main problem with Russell is going to be the term by 2 years.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
8 x $12.5m would be McDavid taking a discount, but I think he might do that.

$100m is a nice round number.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I agree. He is worth 14 mil, but he is not going to handcuff his team with 14 mil. That would be insane.

Yup, this contract is going to really determine what kind of career McDavid wants. He's going to be e best player regardless the contract, but does he really want to struggle so hard to win a cup because his team can't pay for players to play with him? That would be insane, in my opinion.

People talking about "he needs to ensure that he gets paid cause an injury can happen just like that!!"... yeah, if McDavid signed at 10Mx8yr that is enough money to be financially sorry free his entire life, assuming he doesn't go hog wild and bankrupt himself like a moron. That's enough money to put him in the 1% club. Suggesting that he needs to take 14Mx8yr to guarantee his future is nonsensical when you think about it.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Oilers need to give him a blank cheque. League max. Period. He deserves every penny.

Any team in the league would offer sheet him at league max.

exactly. people are complaining. look at so and so. .. ur getting old. the cap and inflation is up. why are you comparing Crosby that was 12 years ago. I'm hoping he's cool and goes for 10 .... who am I kidding.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
For the Oilers sake I hope he does, but if I'm Connor McDavid there's no chance in hell I'm leaving $32 million dollars on the table.

If you've lived your entire life with the hopes and dreams of playing in the NHL to win the best trophy in sports, you'd sell out that dream to be a more rich millionaire without fulfilling that dream instead of becoming a millionaire and having a much higher chance of fulfilling your lifelong dream? Just a question... when it comes down to it, do you really plan on spending allll of that money so that you need an extra 32M? You're already rich and famous, but if you just neeeed that extra cash you will forfeit a lot of respect from your peers and those who watch the game. Because as soon as you sign that 14M contract that you would inevitably be offered, everyone knows you're just in it for the money, and that you have no desire to win. It's not for the love of the game, but just some job.

All of this assuming an injury cuts the career short and you never get a second contract.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Hoping that the modern athlete cares more about winning than being paid......good luck with that. Honestly, good luck. But I wouldn't count on it.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
He could make up the extra 1-3 mil annually in sponsorships easily. Highly doubt he hits his teams' cap this hard unless it goes up again.

He'd be worth a few mil more than that to be honest... He just seems like a kid who's got a great head on his shoulders and does not appear to be one of those attention loving self centered pros who don't think about the extenuating circumstances of such a deal. Then again, the fact that he could literally ask for 18M a season if the cap does continue to go up, maybe this IS him taking a discount lol.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
McDavid can comfortably sign a contract worth 90+ million dollars twice during his career. It all comes down to how much he wants his team to win. Does he settle for 70x2? Who knows.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
nhl cannot sustain these contracts
economics are not there

Player salaries are tied to League revenue, McDavid getting 14 million vs. 8 million just means he gets a bigger slice of the overall pie, and less of that pie for other players.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He could very well command that but if he is smart and wants a better chance at a cup he would revise it down to nearer $10m. $14m is a lot for one player. Nearly 20% of the cap.

Well, Toews is making 13.8m in actual cash this year, and he's past his prime. I don't see the best scorer in hockey right now taking $10m a year, that's lower than Toews cap hit too.

These guys have some pride, it will probably end up around 12.5 if he's being team-friendly, which the NHLPA won't like. But he has every right to command a blank check, that's what they did for Sid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad