Dreger: McDavid may cost 14 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Bobby Holik was making $9 million a year, 15 years ago, and people say McDavid isn't worth 14? I know it's cap era, but he can easily get that. Teams have no problem paying scrubs 3-4 million, they can pay him 14.
You say that like it worked out so well lol

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
They better win the cup before his new deal kicks in, be it 10 or 14. Its really hard to cap crunch once the stars get paid.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Bobby Holik was making $9 million a year, 15 years ago, and people say McDavid isn't worth 14? I know it's cap era, but he can easily get that.

If you know there are cap considerations now, why make ridiculous comparisons ? Holik made more money 15 years ago then Sydney Crosby earns now because it's an entirely different market with different conditions.

Complaining about this makes about as much sense as complaining about the fact Dale Weise's latest contract will earn him more money than Gordie Howe, Jean Béliveau, Bobby Orr and Maurice Richard managed to make in their entire hockey careers combined.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
My guess is he winds up around 9-11M/year. He'll respect those who have won Cups.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
The cap doesnt go up every year...
Only time it doesn't is when there's a lockout.

21e03f59347e8f86c9d3a8c706dfea8f.png

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
He better not sign for $14M if he wants a sniff at the Cup. I hope the kid wants to help build a winner. I'd be very disappointed if he signed for $14M. I have a hard time accepting Toews and Kane contracts, which should be reserved for a guy like McDavid.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ridiculous. Dreger is a hack who is only speculating like he always does. He will be wrong like he always is. He's a RFA without Arbitration rights isn't he? Sorry Oilers fans for all the bashing in this thread, we all know this is not realistic and he will not be paid that much. Maybe 10 AAV.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
McDavid will get the maximum in cash and term. The Oilers will likely get in trouble when they extend everyone.

If Strome scores a little more he will get 3.5+
Maroon and Caggiula will get a huge raise
Draisaitl will get what? 7?
Russel may get 4

This will get very intersting.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Best Player in the World could ask for the max contract and would get it.

I think he'll take 8years and 100 million

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
McDavid is worth it but I can't see him handcuffing the oilers like that.

This ... McDavid wants to win cups and you don't do that unless you take a bit of a haircut to allow management to build a proper team around you.

Media will say anything these days to get their own name mentioned above all else. Dreger, Friedman, this list of talking heads spewing verbal garbage and whatever's on their mind is getting out of hand

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This ... McDavid wants to win cups and you don't do that unless you take a bit of a haircut to allow management to build a proper team around you.

Media will say anything these days to get their own name mentioned above all else. Dreger, Friedman, this list of talking heads spewing verbal garbage and whatever's on their mind is getting out of hand

Their known for doing that and no, I think mcdavid will be talked down to 9 million tops, which is what Crosby/ovy got on their contracts. It's probably in Oilers best interest to have Crosby outscore him next year so they can use him as leverage.

"Well Sidney is making this much and we will like to honor him with a similar amount". Type,of tactic.

Never trust what Friedman or dreger has to say.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Their known for doing that and no, I think mcdavid will be talked down to 9 million tops, which is what Crosby/ovy got on their contracts. It's probably in Oilers best interest to have Crosby outscore him next year so they can use him as leverage.

"Well Sidney is making this much and we will like to honor him with a similar amount". Type,of tactic.

Never trust what Friedman or dreger has to say.

When Crosby signed his contract, it was 14.5% of the Cap.
With a 75 Million max. Cap this 14.5% would be 10.875 Million for McDavid to sign a similar deal. That Crosby contract includes 3 years at 3 Million when he is 34 and older. That 12 year contract isn't possible anymore to sign for McDavid.

Looking at the Crosby contract, around 11-12 Million would be equal in todays 75 Million Cap world.
Crosbys 2nd contract after his ELC was over was an even higher % of the Cap

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Someone should offer sheet Drai for 11M for 7 years. Not sure how Edmonton would be able to match. You can't have 25M wrapped up in two players. Look at what it did to Chicago before they shivved Hossa.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Crosbys first 8y of the contract have

12, 12, 12, 10.9, 10.9, 10, 9, 9.6 = avg 10.8 per season.

In 2013/14 the cap was at 64.3m so Sids avg salary was around 16.8% of the cap. This would mean McDavids deal would be close to 100m for 8y -> 12.5 per year.

In the end, i think it will come down to this amount.

Someone should offer sheet Drai for 11M for 7 years. Not sure how Edmonton would be able to match. You can't have 25M wrapped up in two players. Look at what it did to Chicago before they shivved Hossa.

They will have issues, look whom they have to extend this and next year. They will pay ~40m for two lines.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
He could very well command that but if he is smart and wants a better chance at a cup he would revise it down to nearer $10m. $14m is a lot for one player. Nearly 20% of the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad