McDavid becomes the 3rd player in NHL history to score 40 points in a playoff run - after Wayne and Mario

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
If the Oilers come back from 3-0 and McDavid breaks the points record they should build that dude a statue before the next season starts, never mind waiting til after he retires.
And remove Gretzky's statue.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
If he passes Gretzky. Which is a possibility. But Edmonton doesn’t win the cup.
How much does the record really mean.
All time great performance always have and always will be immortalized. It’s the reason people only talk about 03 when it comes to JS Giguere even though he actually won the cup in 07. Of course winning is the most important thing, but if he makes history, it’ll be a huge deal

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
That says 100% more about the Oilers than it does McDavid.
That would literally mean the greatest single effort ever wasn’t enough. It would be proof that winning a cup with said circumstances is impossible for any player at any time. Also that those who hold it against him for no cups at that point are either fools or people seething with hate.

I feel like most of the fans out there understand that if he wins a smythe with 42-48 points even in a losing effort that a team accomplishment doesn’t define him or any individual. This is the kind of performance that (if in a losing effort) destroys the “cup or bust” mentality for all time great rankings. It is quite literally the best performance ever when adjusted for era and for dominance over peers in postseason history.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
That would literally mean the greatest single effort ever wasn’t enough. It would be proof that winning a cup with said circumstances is impossible for any player at any time. Also that those who hold it against him for no cups at that point are either fools or people seething with hate.

I feel like most of the fans out there understand that if he wins a smythe with 42-48 points even in a losing effort that a team accomplishment doesn’t define him or any individual. This is the kind of performance that (if in a losing effort) destroys the “cup or bust” mentality for all time great rankings.

Well said.

It's fascinating how this zombie narrative survives despite being decimated by logic a thousand times over.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It just occurred to me that Connor McDavid has almost as many points (42) in this playoff run alone as Auston Matthews has in his entire playoff career (48). :oops:
Mcdavid is the 3rd best player ever with a slim shot at 1st

Why are you comparing him to Matthews?

Matthews had a season comparable (2022) to an average Mcdavid year but Mcdavid has 2 years better than Matthews best and another 3-4 better than Matthews 2nd best

This is like Comparing Lemieux and Jeremy Roenick or Mike Modano

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
He's doing something pretty crazy that's for sure. Gretzky's record was set back when Edmonton torched teams in 3on3 and 4on4 hockey because as soon as penalties were called they'd try to initiate a scrum to get more players sent to the box from both teams to create 3on3 opportunities where Gretzky and Coffey would destroy teams. The NHL created a rule in June the same year Gretzky set the playoff point record sometimes called "The Gretzky Rule" which just prevented the additional manpower lost on the ice when a second set of minor penalties was called. (I googled this info searching the gretzky rule).

For reference on why this may have been significant, Gretzky only scored 7 power play points the year he set the record, compared with 24 power play points in 1988 when the rule was in place. In the early 90's an SI article says they reversed the rule "just in time for players like Mario and Jagr to exploit it".

Crazy stuff from the sounds of it. Anyone who was around back in those days care to chime in on whether Edmonton really benefitted excessively or was it just something that occasionally happened like once every few games? Things were obviously a bit more physical in the 80's so I can definitely see it having an impact, especially given there was a rule change because of it.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Doesn't look identical at all?

P/GP (minimum of 10 games played)

2024 playoffs:
McDavid 1.83
Bouchard 1.39
Makar 1.39
Draisaitl 1.3
Rantanen 1.27
MacKinnon 1.27
Trochek 1.25
Aho 1.09
Svechnikov and several others 1.00

85 playoffs:
Gretzky 2.61
Coffee 2.06
Savard 1.93
Kurri 1.72
Larmer 1.47
Andersson 1.44
Messier 1.39
Statsny 1.28
Sutter 1.27
Murray 1.24

There seems to be a 20-25% higher production across the board in the 85 playoffs. Not quite enough to bridge the gap between McDavid and Gretzky, but certainly makes it a lot closer.
Fair enough. I think it's amazing what McDavid is doing, and definitely up there with some of Wayne and Mario's best runs. I still think Wayne's record year is more insane. A 61 point pace over 23 games ain't peanuts.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Breaking Gretzky single season playoff/series records (most assists), and even challenging them (most points, most points in the Final), is next level type of stuff.

Ovechkin challenging the all-time career goals, while impressive in its own way, is a total different thing, and not so shocking.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Blows my mind that McD has haters. Dude is amazing to watch.
He has haters for the same reason LeBron, Brady, Messi and Crosby have too. Some fans are simply fans of their city and not the sport in general. When someone dominates your sports team year after year, you start to get irritated. Jealousy also plays a big part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad