Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Ilya Mikheyev(15% Retained), Sam Lafferty(Rights), 2027 2nd round pick for 2027 4th round pick

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
2 years of like 700k? Thats not really significant
I just think I’d rather have seen something like a 2025 2nd straight rather than a later second and the fourth back if it means no retention.

We need all the space possible the next three years.

Look, I’m whining in a.. eh let’s not call it a guaranteed win anymore, but I acknowledge that my whining is moot if they get everything right.

Getting Blueger at ~400k less than forecasted already helps significantly.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
It’s a pretty big factor given the already significant OEL penalty next year.
If you buy out mikheyev you're stuck with a 4 year penalty.

The amount we are retaining isnt a big deal. That's easily made up by shaving money off a contract like Blueger and not over paying for 4th liners or depth defenseman.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
712k retention is a big deal in addition of the OEL buyout. That's 5.48M in dead cap in 2025-26.

Iv3fit5.png

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If you buy out mikheyev you're stuck with a 4 year penalty.

The amount we are retaining isnt a big deal. That's easily made up by shaving money off a contract like Blueger and not over paying for 4th liners or depth defenseman.
Like I said, saving 400k on Blueger already makes me care less about the 700k they ate this year. They just need to continue to penny pinch. Like if Joshua signs for 3 or something, that’s a good example. But this to me says they especially cannot do the nonsense 5.25 for Zadorov anymore.

It’s the 700k in year two during one of the big OEL penalty years that is worrisome to me.

I’m not comparing relative to a buyout that should have never happened if we hadn’t made this trade… my point was if we’d be better off just moving the 2025 2nd and not taking a 4th back to avoid the retention. Or if we could have flipped the 4th for another team to retain and if that’s better.

You can make an argument that the asset flexibility is more beneficial than the cap flexibility, and really it’ll come down to execution. Can’t decide now. I’d just have rather had the cap flexibility.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's funny the last regime got duped by Kevin Epps clients this regime Dan Milstein.

Really solid move you couldn't justify keeping 1 goal in 65 games back. About the only place he could play is the 4th line and it just doesn't work cap wise. Sucks he got hurt but it happens the fact he's soft as butter and so fragile mentally is not someone you can bet on to bounce back and be good in the playoffs next year which is what we need.

Guentzel is a tremendous player and if that is the target there is a world where Zadorov Myers Guentzel Silovs and Joshua all are signed. Lets hope they can pull it off with a few smart cheap depth players

Reactions: wetcoast

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Alright now I am really really happy . So happy it wasn’t a 2025 2nd. I can live with a 2nd round pick in 3 years and we get a pick back to further lessen the impact of losing the 2nd.

Another Insanely good trade and not retaining any salary is a further win win .

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Retention soured the good mood. He's an easy bet to be worth 3M moving forward so the amount of bloated cap you dump is cut almost in half.

Better hit a home run on the replacement. I hope we land Guentzel.

Really now, what's the most inefficient contract on the roster? Garland? Best the Financials have looked in years.
Hronek.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
2027 2nd round pick? Did Allvin hedge on retention to keep the immediate pick or is Davidson betting on our downfall?
Doesn't even really matter he gave up a 4th for a second rounder and a potentially use full top 6 piece in their cap structure they can easily afford and if Ilya is healthy they can flip him and get even more assets in the future.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
even with retention that's still miles better than the move detroit made

Again, in terms of cost and the total raw cap dumped for a floundering asset, this is one of the cheapest dumps the last several seasons. This is a trade down of about 45-60 spots to move off of 4MM x 2 years.

There have been multiple deals around 3.25-4MM dumped that cost a 2nd + 2nd/3rd with no pick coming back.

And then you have this inexplicable Walman, who has played much more serviceably than Mik at his cap hit, dump of 3.4MM for a 2nd with no pick coming back.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I worry about the retention since every dollar will count in the next week (and next year), but having another trade chip for next season could make up for it. Only time will tell.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It’s a pretty big factor given the already significant OEL penalty next year.
Sure in a vacuum but the salary cap will be going up in the next 2 years and some young guys like Lekkerimaki, Wlliander, EP2.0 developing would lessen the blow.

In a nutshell this trade today will almost certainly make up a better team going into next season, assuming they use their remaining cap space wisely.

Quinton Byfield

Jul 25, 2021
I just think I’d rather have seen something like a 2025 2nd straight rather than a later second and the fourth back if it means no retention.

We need all the space possible the next three years.

Look, I’m whining in a.. eh let’s not call it a guaranteed win anymore, but I acknowledge that my whining is moot if they get everything right.

Getting Blueger at ~400k less than forecasted already helps significantly.
I would rather no retention either, but they must have plans with that 2025 2nd. Like, let's pick off a Durzi, Toews from a team kinda plan.

Reactions: Vector

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
712k retention is a big deal in addition of the OEL buyout. That's 5.48M in dead cap in 2025-26.

Iv3fit5.png
It's only a big deal if LEK and Willander aren't able to contribute.

5.48 will basically be the going rate for #4 defenseman and average 2nd line winger. I think it's fair to expect one of our top two prospects to provide excess value during that OEL buyout. If both hit you're laughing.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad