McDavid becomes the 3rd player in NHL history to score 40 points in a playoff run - after Wayne and Mario

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He's doing something pretty crazy that's for sure. Gretzky's record was set back when Edmonton torched teams in 3on3 and 4on4 hockey because as soon as penalties were called they'd try to initiate a scrum to get more players sent to the box from both teams to create 3on3 opportunities where Gretzky and Coffey would destroy teams. The NHL created a rule in June the same year Gretzky set the playoff point record sometimes called "The Gretzky Rule" which just prevented the additional manpower lost on the ice when a second set of minor penalties was called. (I googled this info searching the gretzky rule).

For reference on why this may have been significant, Gretzky only scored 7 power play points the year he set the record, compared with 24 power play points in 1988 when the rule was in place. In the early 90's an SI article says they reversed the rule "just in time for players like Mario and Jagr to exploit it".

Crazy stuff from the sounds of it. Anyone who was around back in those days care to chime in on whether Edmonton really benefitted excessively or was it just something that occasionally happened like once every few games? Things were obviously a bit more physical in the 80's so I can definitely see it having an impact, especially given there was a rule change because of it.
Off the top of my head, I would say that the Oilers did benefit quite a bit as team from 3 vs 3 and 4vs 4 situations, but relative to the numbers he put up it would not have been a big individual advantage for Gretzky. A modest number of extra goals meant more team wins but would have not represented a significant dent in the number of points Gretzky would have earned. But as far as I know there are no published numbers for 3 vs 3 and 4 vs 4 points from back in the day.

Reactions: heretik27

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Off the top of my head, I would say that the Oilers did benefit quite a bit as team from 3 vs 3 and 4vs 4 situations, but relative to the numbers he put up it would not have been a big individual advantage for Gretzky. A modest number of extra goals meant more team wins but would have not represented a significant dent in the number of points Gretzky would have earned. But as far as I know there are no published numbers for 3 vs 3 and 4 vs 4 points from back in the day.
The NHL changed the rule on offsetting penalties because of how dominate Kurri and Gretzky were on it they brought it back decades later

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He has haters for the same reason LeBron, Brady, Messi and Crosby have too. Some fans are simply fans of their city and not the sport in general. When someone dominates your sports team year after year, you start to get irritated. Jealousy also plays a big part.
None of the others are as entitled, and whine and cry as much as this guy. Super talented and a freak athlete, one of the smartest players of all time, great human being off the court, but I’ll never respect him as a player because of that crap.

He’s walked off the court without shaking hands after a series multiple times in his career as well and nobody says anything about it. But Isiah Thomas and the Pistons doing it after probably the nastiest rivalry in NBA history still gets talked about 30+ years later.

Bron is the biggest crybaby and sore loser in NBA history. Also, him mocking Dirk for having the flu in the finals and then getting dummied by him immediately after is all time 🤡 shit.

LeBron has haters because he’s acted like an obnoxious, whiny, entitled, self-centered jackass his entire career, but the PR department works overtime to convince you he’s the most humble guy ever.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The NHL changed the rule on offsetting penalties because of how dominate Kurri and Gretzky were on it they brought it back decades later
I understand this and watched many of those situations live. But I don't think that as a portion of Gretzky's points it was a major factor. I don't have any stats to explicitly back this up but my guess is it may have been at most 5-10 extra points in a given year, and here is my reasoning.

The Oilers back then had pp% in the 25% range. Their 4 vs 4 percent would probably have been less than their pp success rate. Let's say even 70% of the pp success rate. In 84-85 the Oilers had 74 pp goals. It would be hard to imagine that they would have had more than 1 4 vs 4 situation for every 4 pp's. That would suggest maybe 12-14 4 vs 4 goals per year. If Gretzky got a point on 80% of them that is about 10 points 4 vs 4. (3 vs 3 was even more rare, though it would not surprise me if the 3 vs 3 success rate was as high as the pp rate.) Moreover, maybe he puts up 3-4 points had he been playing those minutes 5 vs 5 instead.

Last edited:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
None of the others are as entitled, and whine and cry as much as this guy. Super talented and a freak athlete, one of the smartest players of all time, great human being off the court, but I’ll never respect him as a player because of that crap.

He’s walked off the court without shaking hands after a series multiple times in his career as well and nobody says anything about it. But Isiah Thomas and the Pistons doing it after probably the nastiest rivalry in NBA history still gets talked about 30+ years later.

Bron is the biggest crybaby and sore loser in NBA history. Also, him mocking Dirk for having the flu in the finals and then getting dummied by him immediately after is all time 🤡 shit.

LeBron has haters because he’s acted like an obnoxious, whiny, entitled, self-centered jackass his entire career, but the PR department works overtime to convince you he’s the most humble guy ever.

AND HE WAS IN A SPACE JAM REMAKE!

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
It just occurred to me that Connor McDavid has almost as many points (42) in this playoff run alone as Auston Matthews has in his entire playoff career (48). :oops:
But Matthews is a stud. Marner is the problem! Even though Matthews was pointless in 3 of 4 games against BOS prior to getting hurt, he has done nothing wrong and Marner and Tavares are the problem. Matthews will show that he can carry the leafs on his back, just you watch!!111!!11 CHANGES HAVE TO BE MADE! MARNER NEEDS TO GO! IT'S ALL HIS FAULT!!

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I had thought about that one...but then figured, with no clipping, it would be less impressive as he pretty much went untouched anyway LOL
I don't even remember what IDSPISPOPD did, but I remember the code...

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I don't even remember what IDSPISPOPD did, but I remember the code...

I was actually mistaken....idkfa was full armor. Idspispopd was nonclipping.

But....since I spent most of my time multi-player just gotta say I miss RocketArena

Reactions: koyvoo

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
But Matthews is a stud. Marner is the problem! Even though Matthews was pointless in 3 of 4 games against BOS prior to getting hurt, he has done nothing wrong and Marner and Tavares are the problem. Matthews will show that he can carry the leafs on his back, just you watch!!111!!11 CHANGES HAVE TO BE MADE! MARNER NEEDS TO GO! IT'S ALL HIS FAULT!!
And Marner has more career playoff points than Matthews

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
I have to say I never felt comfortable comparing McDavid to Mario, but boy am I seeing it now, and he is just taking over. These last two games are really just something special. He is the king.

I Don't think McDavid will ever be better than Lemieux... You could argue he is in the same tier, but nothing suggest that he peaked higher than Lemieux (even looking at adjusted stats).

However, will McDavid pass Lemieux in career value (greatness) ?

Yes, I think so

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I read that McDavid's 8 points over two consecutive Stanley Cup finals games set the all-time record. I tried to see who else came close:
  • Gretzky had 7 points over two consecutive SCF games (games 2 and 3 against Boston in 1988).
  • Howe also had 7 points (incredible in the low scoring 1950's) - games 1 and 2 against Montreal in 1955.
  • Lemieux also achieved 7 points over two games (the final two games against Minnessota in 1991).
I checked several other likely candidates, but I couldn't find anybody else who achieved this. (Players with 6 points include Denis Potvin, Guy Lafleur, Evgeni Malkin, Jari Kurri, and Brian Leetch).

Not only has McDavid done something that (as far as I can tell) nobody else has ever achieved, but the players he surpassed are the consensus three greatest forwards in NHL history.

(EDIT - full disclosure, I found a few counter-examples. Coffey had 7 points over two games in 1985. Syl Apps in 1942. Newsy Lalonde way back in 1919. But the argument still works if we're talking about the top forwards post-WWII).

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Have you boys played Prodeus

no. I am not a console FPSer and I haven't built a gaming rig since marriage :( Seinfeld would say I am not the master of my domain lol

need my keyboard and mouse though. Tried COD on my 360 back in the day but just could not do it.

Reactions: Coffey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad