McDavid and Matthews have to wait to overtake Crosby

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
McDavid blew Crosby out at the end. A 19/20 year old. How does it feel...Crosby's last ditch effort.....failed. It's ok. Next Year......maybe Crosby won't spot him a 7 game lead. Anyone can see McDavid is the true heir to Gretzky. They both push the pace and set up plays. Once Connor gets his shot right. This thing is over fast.

:laugh:

What's the design on your bed sheets? Just curious.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
For me, Crosby is the definition of hockey itself.

McDavid and Matthews are elite hockey players. Maybe(surely) become both generational. But Crosby is rewriting history.

I just hope that both McDavid and Matthews won't have better careers than Sid. Just because it would mean that Edmonton and Toronto both wins 2 Cups each in the near future haha

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

McDavid and Matthews are elite hockey players. Maybe(surely) become both generational. But Crosby is rewriting history.

I just hope that both McDavid and Matthews won't have better careers than Sid. Just because it would mean that Edmonton and Toronto both wins 2 Cups each in the near future haha

Care to elaborate?

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Care to elaborate?

IIHF

Youngest player to win a World Championship scoring title[151]
Pittsburgh Penguins
Assists (63) and points (102) in a season by a rookie[186]

NHL

First rookie to record 100 points and 100 penalty minutes in a season[187]
Youngest player to record 100 points in a season (18 years, 253 days)[33]
Youngest player to record 200 career points (19 years and 207 days)[188]
Youngest player to record 2 consecutive 100-point seasons (19 years, 215 days).
Youngest player voted to the starting line-up in an All-Star Game[189]
Youngest Art Ross Trophy and Lester B. Pearson Award winner[44]
Youngest player to be named to the First All-Star Team [45]
Youngest player to lead NHL playoffs in scoring (20 years, 9 months, and 28 days)
Youngest NHL captain to win Stanley Cup (21 years, 10 months, and 5 days)
Fewest games played by an NHL team's leading scorer (his 66 points in 41 games were the most of any player on the 2010–11 Penguins squad)

Had enough?

- Habs fan but more importantly, Hockey fan that can admit that Crosby is special. The best since Lemieux and Gretzky. Connor has a long way. But he has the potential..if he reaches it.

Where are you McFlyingV...? Just be humble that you have a real special player in Edmonton but don't go around thinking he's god.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
McDavid blew Crosby out at the end. A 19/20 year old. How does it feel...Crosby's last ditch effort.....failed. It's ok. Next Year......maybe Crosby won't spot him a 7 game lead. Anyone can see McDavid is the true heir to Gretzky. They both push the pace and set up plays. Once Connor gets his shot right. This thing is over fast.

:laugh: Mcdavid has a looooong way to go, he won't outdo Sid.

McFlash

Apr 8, 2017

Crosby is rewriting history........:sarcasm: huh

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
Honestly I don't see McDavid drastically improving his shot, we'll see I guess. Right now it's easily Crosby.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Where are my Edmonton fans in denial?

Crosby rewriting hockey history:

World Junior Silver Medal — 2004
World Junior Gold Medal — 2005
World Championship All-Star Team — 2006
World Championship Best Forward — 2006
World Championship Leading Scorer — 2006
2× Olympic Gold Medal — 2010, 2014
World Championship Gold Medal — 2015
World Cup of Hockey Gold Medal — 2016
World Cup of Hockey Most Valuable Player — 2016
World Cup of Hockey Leading Scorer — 2016

Where are you?

BTW, I'm not attacking Connor McDavid at all nor his potential. I'm defending Crosby's achievements and give him the credit as the best player in the World now and probably when his career ends, he'll be on the top. Or close 2nd. We live in a different world. Don't ask me, ask Gretzky..he's the one who's saying it.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Why is Sid considered the better defensive player? Not trying to troll.

Legit curious.

McDavid dominated the league in corsi, shots generated, and high danger scoring chances generated.

McDavid had the puck a lot more than Crosby. And he kinda wrecked him in the individual head to head matchup against each other.

I mean, I understand Crosby has much stronger boardwork, and faceoffs, and is stronger on the puck.

McDavid had nearly double the takeaways and way less giveaways. Neither start in the Dzone really much more than the other. McDavid also drew the most penalties due to his speed.

But why is Crosby considered a superior defensive player? I'm not trying to be a smartass. I legit want to know reasons beyond 'saw them good'.

There isn't much statistical data to support this claim.

Statistically Malkin is a better defensive player than Crosby, but who is going to argue that? :help:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

IIHF

Youngest player to win a World Championship scoring title[151]
Pittsburgh Penguins
Assists (63) and points (102) in a season by a rookie[186]

NHL

First rookie to record 100 points and 100 penalty minutes in a season[187]
Youngest player to record 100 points in a season (18 years, 253 days)[33]
Youngest player to record 200 career points (19 years and 207 days)[188]
Youngest player to record 2 consecutive 100-point seasons (19 years, 215 days).
Youngest player voted to the starting line-up in an All-Star Game[189]
Youngest Art Ross Trophy and Lester B. Pearson Award winner[44]
Youngest player to be named to the First All-Star Team [45]
Youngest player to lead NHL playoffs in scoring (20 years, 9 months, and 28 days)
Youngest NHL captain to win Stanley Cup (21 years, 10 months, and 5 days)
Fewest games played by an NHL team's leading scorer (his 66 points in 41 games were the most of any player on the 2010–11 Penguins squad)

Had enough?

- Habs fan but more importantly, Hockey fan that can admit that Crosby is special. The best since Lemieux and Gretzky. Connor has a long way. But he has the potential..if he reaches it.

Where are you McFlyingV...? Just be humble that you have a real special player in Edmonton but don't go around thinking he's god.

Several of those records exists solely because of the day he was born on within the year and the fact that Gretzky played a year in the WHA.

I never made the argument that McDavid was better at the same age or anything of the sort, I was simply curious what this amazing re-writing of history was. Crosby is a special player, you'll never see me saying otherwise.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
A lot of Crosby's linemates over the years have been pretty questionable as top line players. McDavid should easily best his numbers for that reason alone.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Several of those records exists solely because of the day he was born on within the year and the fact that Gretzky played a year in the WHA.

I never made the argument that McDavid was better at the same age or anything of the sort, I was simply curious what this amazing re-writing of history was. Crosby is a special player, you'll never see me saying otherwise.

I know that you're not making a debate between Crosby and McDavid. But, you have to admit that Sidney is rewriting the history of the sport. You have to admit. Wherever he's play, he has made an impact and redefine the sports. From Shattuck's to the Oceanik to the NHL.

Crosby is rewriting history of the sport. Excuses or no excuses.

If he's not doing it, then who is? Records are meant to be broken. Why not enjoy what he's doing right now?

To summarize, rewriting history is not only personal achievements either...Crosby wins collectively. That's rewriting history for me. From his 1st day in the NHL to today, he wins. He helps on every shift. That's plain amazing.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
How so? He barely beat Sid in PPG and Sid won the Rocket. Sid is easily a better hockey player than McDavid at this point. You think Babcock, Queneville, Sully, Trotz, Torts, Julien, etc are going to take McDavid ahead of Sid in a game, playoff series or a tournament? Come on.

The very first thing I said in my post was that I think Sid is still better. Yes, I'd rather have him in the playoffs this year. But McDavid had a more impressive regular season. I don't think that is a particularly controversial opinion, and the inevitable Hart trophy will prove most people agree. Best season doesn't mean best player overall.

McDavid being "Seguin tier" is laughable though. Did Seguin win the Art Ross in his sophomore season?

These threads are so ridiculous though because of the timing and how fickle HF is. McDavid struggles for a couple games while Crosby just had a big night. If someone made a thread a few weeks ago when McDavid was on a 16 game point streak and was crushing the league it would have gone quite differently.

Last edited:

McFlash

Apr 8, 2017
Where are my Edmonton fans in denial?

Crosby rewriting hockey history:

World Junior Silver Medal — 2004
World Junior Gold Medal — 2005
World Championship All-Star Team — 2006
World Championship Best Forward — 2006
World Championship Leading Scorer — 2006
2× Olympic Gold Medal — 2010, 2014
World Championship Gold Medal — 2015
World Cup of Hockey Gold Medal — 2016
World Cup of Hockey Most Valuable Player — 2016
World Cup of Hockey Leading Scorer — 2016

Where are yoru?

BTW, I'm not attacking Connor McDavid at all nor his potential. I'm defending Crosby's achievements and give him the credit as the best player in the World now and probably when his career ends, he'll be on the top. Or close 2nd. We live in a different world. Don't ask me, ask Gretzky..he's the one who's saying it.

Wait wait.....how many of those "records" are actually rewriting the record books......:sarcasm: you want to know what rewriting record books look like pull up Gretzky, Pull up Orr....Pull up Howe....., Dont be pulling up Crosby because of when he was born..allowing him to own records others have no control over.

Here McDavid already owns 2 records then...youngest captain in history, youngest captain to ever lead his team to the second round...already owns 2 woohooo

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I know that you're not making a debate between Crosby and McDavid. But, you have to admit that Sidney is rewriting the history of the sport. You have to admit. Wherever he's play, he has made an impact and redefine the sports. From Shattuck's to the Oceanik to the NHL.

Crosby is rewriting history of the sport. Excuses or no excuses.

If he's not doing it, then who is? Records are meant to be broken. Why not enjoy what he's doing right now?

I'm certainly enjoying him and have been since he entered the league. To suggest he may someday end up regarded as the best player ever, however, is simply ridiculous. He will never be regarded as a better player than Gretzky or Lemieux. Citing international awards when players like Gretzky and Lemieux couldn't even participate in the Olympics until the very end of their careers is just kind of killing the credibility of your claim.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why is Sid considered the better defensive player? Not trying to troll.

Legit curious.

McDavid dominated the league in corsi, shots generated, and high danger scoring chances generated.

Where are you getting this from?

From what I see, Crosby had better CF%, FF%, and SF% than McDavid this season. He also had better relative stats in the above categories as well.

CF%:
Crosby - 53.8
McDavid - 52.9

FF%:
Crosby - 54.1
McDavid - 54.0

SF%:
Crosby - 54.7
McDavid - 53.7

Link to the above information.

I mean, I understand Crosby has much stronger boardwork, and faceoffs, and is stronger on the puck.

The above is kind of a big deal defensively, especially when you're boxing players out and winning board battles in the defensive zone when you're trying to prevent the other team from scoring.

That doesn't even touch on the fact a lot of the time McDavid's the first forward blowing the defensive zone, with Draisaitl almost taking the center's defensive responsibilities for that line. In contrast, Crosby's the guy who plays deep in the defensive zone for his line.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I'm certainly enjoying him and have been since he entered the league. To suggest he may someday end up regarded as the best player ever, however, is simply ridiculous. He will never be regarded as a better player than Gretzky or Lemieux. Citing international awards when players like Gretzky and Lemieux couldn't even participate in them until the very end of their careers is just kind of killing the credibility of your claim.

That actually makes my argument stronger. It's not Crosby's fault that Gretzky or Lemieux couldn't participate in more international tournaments.

Look at it this way: Gretzky and Lemieux were scoring like mad men in the era where goaltenders were nowhere near the talent and shape of today's goaltenders, right?

Just like the fact, Crosby will probably never score 2000 points in this era, but that's not Gretzky and Lemieux's fault.

But you don't see me complaining about it. Hockey is not only the NHL. It's the sport. And the sport is played both in domestic league and international ice. Maybe Crosby won't score more points that Gretzky by the end of his career in the NHL, but he's in or has been in the era of the sport where he excelled on both ice(NHL and international). That's history. That's how it is. Why should we try to bring cheap facts to counter it? Btw, you use the term "never be regarded" ... I don't think it's that silly for this generation to see Crosby as the best player in the NHL. I respect your opinion but don't say I have to credibility in mine.

Can't believe I'm arguing this hard for a Penguins player...jk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad