McDavid and Matthews have to wait to overtake Crosby

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Make a thread because Sid gets 2 goals in 2 minutes?

How about that EK is the best player in the playoffs so far? He should then be the best in the league.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
They're never going to overtake peak Crosby, that guy's one of the top 5 or 6 greatest ever I'd think.

Bull crap. His peak was no better than malkin or ovie and mcdavid already bested his sophomore season. Mcdavid is just as good and might end up better.

vsove

Apr 13, 2017
Edmonton, AB
Yeah I mean 19 YO Sid had 120 points. Both are spectacular players though and Mcdavid could get better and if he does he might end up even better than Sid is/was.

Honestly, I think his injury-shortened 2007 season makes a better argument. 2006-2007 averaged around 2.95 goals per game per team, whereas 2016-2017 is a ways down from that at 2.77. But 2007-2008 was only 2.78 goals per game per team, and Crosby was on track for a 1.36 PPG pace, or around 112 points. Which, in a year with similar scoring to 2016-2017, is pretty impressive.

That all said, there are enough potential factors at play that, while I'm comfortable saying Crosby is currently the best player, it's a lot harder to project out into the future. Maybe McDavid finds a new gear, or maybe he slumps. He's a year and a half into his NHL playing career, and honestly, I'm just glad we get to watch both players. The EDM/PIT game at the end of the season was one of the most entertaining games I've watched in a while.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yeah I mean 19 YO Sid had 120 points. Both are spectacular players though and Mcdavid could get better and if he does he might end up even better than Sid is/was.

Context is a thing. 120 points but scoring was higher. Sophomore Mcdavid won the art by ten points over prime sid.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Federov peak isn't even arguable? Lolk

I don't think it's even arguable. He has had two 100 point seasons, one of which coming in the aberration 93-94 year. Federov was great defensively and worked the PK etc., but I really don't know how you can make the argument he's in Crosby's league. He's not even a PPG player.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Some posters are gonna look stupid, would think so already after the Ana serie! Matthews can score his 2 feet goals how much he wants, doesnt change anything.

Its like comparing a Ferrari with a Volvo!:laugh:

2 round hockey baby,with a sniff of more!

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
Crosby is still the best by a slight margin imo. Mcdavid will probably over take him soon. Great as he is i think he will fall just of crosbys peak though. Mattews is harder to call. On paper the obvious answer is he will not reach that level but that said, hes done nothing but exceeded expectations so far

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Context is a thing. 120 points but scoring was higher. Sophomore Mcdavid won the art by ten points over prime sid.

He did play in an extra 7 games. His PPG was 1.2 while Crosby's was 1.19

Points-wise they're about equal, but Crosby had a lot more goals. That said, most of those were power play goals, so in my eyes they're about dead even in terms of production.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Rookies and a sophomore aren't gonna overtake a prime Crosby.

They are excellent, yes, but Sid is simply better. That doesn't take away from either of them. I mean...it's Crosby. That's a high bar that's been set. They aren't gonna over take him in one season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Sid can't stay healthy that's not McDavid's problem. He still wins the hardware and at the end of the day that's what matters.

But that's just as much context as saying "scoring was higher in 2006". That's comically biased to mention scoring being higher in 2006, yet not mentioning that Crosby missed 6 games due to a concussion this year. You can't say "you have to take into account context" while ignoring context when it's convenient for you.

"If McDavid plays in a lower scoring era that's not Crosby's problem" is that fair to say?

vsove

Apr 13, 2017
Edmonton, AB
If Sid can't stay healthy that's not McDavid's problem. He still wins the hardware and at the end of the day that's what matters.

I mean, you kind of need to account for that.

Crosby had a great year. McDavid had a slightly better year, based on PPG.

Crosby being injured is an important aspect of that, because he nearly matched McDavid on PPG (and maybe would have, because who knows the real impact of the injury). That doesn't take away from what McDavid did - Crosby is a veteran player who has Done This Before - but it's still worth noting.

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews is a teenager who just played his rookie season and smashed every record. Let the kid develop... and when he hits beast mode, look out.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
But that's just as much context as saying "scoring was higher in 2006". That's comically biased to mention scoring being higher in 2006, yet not mentioning that Crosby missed 6 games due to a concussion this year. You can't say "you have to take into account context" while ignoring context when it's convenient for you.

"If McDavid plays in a lower scoring era that's not Crosby's problem" is that fair to say?

Easily measurable, though. Take the total goals scored for 2006 and 2017 for the year, find the factor and then apply the factor to both totals.

However, you can't do the same with missing games. PPG can't work because you end up having to average the totals. It's not quantifiable, therefore it's not worth complaining about. In fact, it goes against that player as it should. Nobody gave a crap about McD's PPG when he lost the Calder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad