McDavid and Matthews have to wait to overtake Crosby

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
I think Crosby is still better all around, but if you are basing your opinion solely off 6-7 games of playoffs then I think you are getting a skewed opinion off a small sample size. Crosby has started off hot, while McDavid is in a bit of a slump (likely fighting an illness or bit of an injury). It has only been a single playoff round. Crosby is also very experienced while McDavid is just playing in the playoffs for the first time. So it is no surprise that Crosby looks much better at the moment. However, over 82 games this season McDavid definitely outperformed Sid and everyone else.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I think Crosby is still better all around, but if you are basing your opinion solely off 6-7 games of playoffs then I think you are getting a skewed opinion off a small sample size. Crosby has started off hot, while McDavid is in a bit of a slump (likely fighting an illness or bit of an injury). It has only been a single playoff round. Crosby is also very experienced while McDavid is just playing in the playoffs for the first time. So it is no surprise that Crosby looks much better at the moment. However, over 82 games this season McDavid definitely outperformed Sid and everyone else.

It's not an accident though that McDavid hasn't been creating nearly as many chances as in the regular season. He is too much of a one-dimensional player (although that dimension is incredible) which makes him easier to shut down than guys like Crosby or prime Ovechkin, who could threaten you in multiple ways.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Easily measurable, though. Take the total goals scored for 2006 and 2017 for the year, find the factor and then apply the factor to both totals.

However, you can't do the same with missing games. PPG can't work because you end up having to average the totals. It's not quantifiable, therefore it's not worth complaining about. In fact, it goes against that player as it should. Nobody gave a crap about McD's PPG when he lost the Calder.

Why can you do that between 2006 and 2017, yet you can't extrapolate PPG over 6 games? Because you say so?

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
It's not an accident though that McDavid hasn't been creating nearly as many chances as in the regular season. He is too much of a one-dimensional player (although that dimension is incredible) which makes him easier to shut down than guys like Crosby or prime Ovechkin, who could threaten you in multiple ways.

McDavid certainly has work to do in order to round out his game, that's fair. But he is also facing checking that not even Crosby has had to put up with. The shadowing from Kesler was straight out of the 80's, yet it worked in the Oilers' favor as it just created so much space for everyone else. At the end of the day the Oilers scored 4 goals with McDavid on the ice.

We've also not seen his best yet in these playoffs. Tight checking doesn't account for why the most explosive player in the league suddenly looks slow. I watched him play 82 games this year and shadow or not, he is clearly not himself at the moment.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because you're extrapolating.

You're arbitrarily adjusting based on goals/game, while you don't actually know if that correction is appropriate. And even with adjusting based on goals/game, Crosby finished the year with 113 points to 100 for McDavid. How is doing that over a full season more okay than extrapolating based on PPG over 6 games?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Context is a thing. 120 points but scoring was higher. Sophomore Mcdavid won the art by ten points over prime sid.

You mention context, then ignore the fact a big part of the reason for McDavid's 11 point gap in points is due to the fact Crosby missed 7 games this year.

It's not like McDavid beat Crosby by 11 points while both guys played all 82 games.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why is Sid considered the better defensive player? Not trying to troll.

Legit curious.

McDavid dominated the league in corsi, shots generated, and high danger scoring chances generated.

McDavid had the puck a lot more than Crosby. And he kinda wrecked him in the individual head to head matchup against each other.

I mean, I understand Crosby has much stronger boardwork, and faceoffs, and is stronger on the puck.

McDavid had nearly double the takeaways and way less giveaways. Neither start in the Dzone really much more than the other. McDavid also drew the most penalties due to his speed.

But why is Crosby considered a superior defensive player? I'm not trying to be a smartass. I legit want to know reasons beyond 'saw them good'.

There isn't much statistical data to support this claim.

Last edited:

Konig96

Sep 11, 2016
The way I see it, McDavid is awesome but he has 3 stanley cup appearances, 2 cup wins, a conn smythe, 2 olympic golds (one as captain) and a whole lot more too accomplish before the talk should even begin. There is a reason that Gretzky is the Great One, he has the resume and one heck of a resume at that. And I don't want to hear the tired argument of different era blah blah blah. Wayne saw and played the game like a master chess player. Thus far, Sid has the resume, McDavid is just starting to build his. More than likely it will end up very impressive but he has a ways to go.

McFlash

Apr 8, 2017
Hardly my western friend...

Lol @ Crosby having a 2 goal game and now McDavid will "never" be as good as Crosby running rampant in this thread. McDavid just blew Crosby apart in the scoring race, and his team is leading the ducks In Thier second round series but a just turned 20 year old is now Matthews equal.....lol some people on here just make me laugh.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Pretty much. He attacks off the rush or doesn't do much. In time his game will grow, though.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Matthews is not in the same area code as McDavid.

Matthews is out of place in this thread and shouldn't be mentioned alongside either Crosby or McDavid.

You can say that all you like, it doesn't make it true. They are very much on the same level as one another, with Crosby ahead of both.

McDavid's better than any forward in 2016/2017 and that's a fact so I guess this thread is about hopes and dreams.

This guy said it's a fact. Close it up bois, an EDM fan said a player on his team is the best and that's a fact. No bias here.

Matthews is Generic Cola, McDavid is Coca~Cola.

So the same, but with different labels? That's literally how that works. The ingredients are almost identical.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You can say that all you like, it doesn't make it true. They are very much on the same level as one another, with Crosby ahead of both.

This guy said it's a fact. Close it up bois, an EDM fan said a player on his team is the best and that's a fact. No bias here.

I'll expect Matthews' 100 point season next year then. If it doesn't come, I want my money back on this hype sell job.

McFlash

Apr 8, 2017

I'll add to this. Matthews is nowhere near McDavid. Let the haters hate. McDavid will walk away with the Ross and Hart. Next year he blows the league apart and whatever little argument left for Crosby will melt away like the snow in Edmonton in McDavids first playoff run with Edmonton.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
They're never going to overtake peak Crosby, that guy's one of the top 5 or 6 greatest ever I'd think.

McDavid didn't take over Crosby this year either, he was lucky to have a stud like Draisaitl as his line mate that pushed him to 100pts and in the playoffs is where guys make their mark and Draisaitl has been the really impressive player on the Oilers, Matthews definitely is a stud though, he's probably in that tier with Tavares, Benn, etc when he gets another year under his belt. McDavid being in that Seguin, Stamkos tier.

Sid isn't a guy you just beat in 1yr of points and those points being over hyped like crazy whilst underrating one of the best players that gets little to no credit unless it fits a narrative.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
As long as CBC and Sportsnet keep showing clips about Matthews when the leafs are out of the playoffs during Sens 2nd round game intermissions .. what more can a hockey fan ask for

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Why is Sid considered the better defensive player? Not trying to troll.

Legit curious.

McDavid dominated the league in corsi, shots generated, and high danger scoring chances generated.

McDavid had the puck a lot more than Crosby. And he kinda wrecked him in the individual head to head matchup against each other.

I mean, I understand Crosby has much stronger boardwork, and faceoffs, and is stronger on the puck.

McDavid had nearly double the takeaways and way less giveaways. Neither start in the Dzone really much more than the other. McDavid also drew the most penalties due to his speed.

But why is Crosby considered a superior defensive player? I'm not trying to be a smartass. I legit want to know reasons beyond 'saw them good'.

There isn't much statistical data to support this claim.

I watched both 20+ games each this past season, and as far as I can see I don't think Crosby is the better defensive or overall player. They are close to even with probably a slight edge to McDavid. Crosby does a lot of little things McDavid doesn't do, but the things McDavid does he does so well that it doesn't really matter.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

How so? He barely beat Sid in PPG and Sid won the Rocket. Sid is easily a better hockey player than McDavid at this point. You think Babcock, Queneville, Sully, Trotz, Torts, Julien, etc are going to take McDavid ahead of Sid in a game, playoff series or a tournament? Come on.

McFlash

Apr 8, 2017
McDavid didn't take over Crosby this year either, he was lucky to have a stud like Draisaitl as his line mate that pushed him to 100pts and in the playoffs is where guys make their mark and Draisaitl has been the really impressive player on the Oilers, Matthews definitely is a stud though, he's probably in that tier with Tavares, Benn, etc when he gets another year under his belt. McDavid being in that Seguin, Stamkos tier.

Sid isn't a guy you just beat in 1yr of points and those points being over hyped like crazy whilst underrating one of the best players that gets little to no credit unless it fits a narrative.

McDavid blew Crosby out at the end. A 19/20 year old. How does it feel...Crosby's last ditch effort.....failed. It's ok. Next Year......maybe Crosby won't spot him a 7 game lead. Anyone can see McDavid is the true heir to Gretzky. They both push the pace and set up plays. Once Connor gets his shot right. This thing is over fast.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Wait... :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad