Value of: May I ask what would be the ask for Askarov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
wasnt aware trotz confirmed it. rare to hear a gm admit he tried to trade a player.

Kindof talks about trying to get in there but the top 4 teams were adament about getting a center. Once Will Smith came off the board, it was unlikely trotz wouldve pulled the trigger but as others said maybe Michkov. All comments he has ever made point towards wanting a center since Nashville has always lacked a high end 1C

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022

Kindof talks about trying to get in there but the top 4 teams were adament about getting a center. Once Will Smith came off the board, it was unlikely trotz wouldve pulled the trigger but as others said maybe Michkov. All comments he has ever made point towards wanting a center since Nashville has always lacked a high end 1C
thats just the rumor i was talking about earler. i dont see trotz confirming it. askarov and 2 1sts for a top 5 pick. seems like askarov is valued around 10th overall in the rumor.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
thats just the rumor i was talking about earler. i dont see trotz confirming it. askarov and 2 1sts for a top 5 pick. seems like askarov is valued around 10th overall in the rumor.
Askarov, 1 or *maybe* 2 1sts( highly speculative) for... Fantilli/Carlsson/Smith was all it was. Not quite "a top 5 pick"... it was still contingent on getting that potential #1C. You can't really project it out to any other valuation (like "10th overall") because it was such a specific scenario.

So instead, the top-4 teams had no interest whatsoever, as might have been anticipated, and the Preds then picked Wood and will try to train him back into being a center.

It probably won't ever come up again... there won't be 3 centers that good in a draft in the next few years, the Preds won't have the same trade-up picks to offer, and Askarov probably won't just steer a "steady course" - he'll get better and stand out more or fade away. It was a one-time shot, Trotz took it, nobody cared. Game is over. Case closed.

Reactions: PredsV82

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I would love Askarov in detroit, he and Cossa could battle for the starting position first in Griffins and after for the Wings.

Veleno + 2nd for Askarov who says no?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
The offer was on the board all along. The Habs rightly refused.
No, it wouldn't have been there once Fantilli, Carlsson, and Smith were gone. It was only ever going to be contingent "on the floor" on one of them still being on the board, that was the only reason Trotz was interested.

But at the same time the Habs wouldn't have even cared about that, of course. I'm sure ALL the teams Trotz approached told him their picks simply weren't available, regardless of what transpired on the draft floor. Trotz would have been shut down even before the draft started. So it's a moot point.

Reactions: Viqsi

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I would love Askarov in detroit, he and Cossa could battle for the starting position first in Griffins and after for the Wings.

Nashville. Please see all of the above posts

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Nobody because Trotz falls on the floor laughing and then Detroit hangs up.

• Haha
Reactions: HabsQC

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Didn't Nashville just use the highest pick on a goalie in years on this player? I guess they have buyer's remorse? I wouldn't spend premium assets on a goalie with the direction the league is heading.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Didn't Nashville just use the highest pick on a goalie in years on this player? I guess they have buyer's remorse? I wouldn't spend premium assets on a goalie with the direction the league is heading.
We do not, this thread wasn't started by a Nashville fan. At the draft he was available for an elite offensive prospect (Michkov, etc.)

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
We do not, this thread wasn't started by a Nashville fan. At the draft he was available for an elite offensive prospect (Michkov, etc.)
Yeah haha I'll bet he's available for an elite offensive prospect.

Tough being a goalie. Hellebuyck is available and nobody has traded for him. The league doesn't protect them. They want more goals not less. Who were the last two goalies to win the cup? Kuemper and Hill?

Nashville will probably just keep him. Hard to get value out of a goalie. I'm sure he's good if they drafted him that high. Problem is, the league is moving away from expensive goalies. Teams want 3 good goalies now and ideally 4 and you run the hot hand in each series.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
While us fans might have gone for Michkov, Trotz seemed to be aiming even higher than Michkov. Either way, it does not add up to any buyer's remorse on Askarov. If anything, I think we all like Askarov a lot more than we did when he was picked... he has played well but also become a fan favorite with all his zany antics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad