Value of: May I ask what would be the ask for Askarov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
We can worry about that when we have 2. We carried Rinne and Saros until we didn't.
Here’s my problem with that thinking. Rinne was 34 when we started giving the 21 year old saros games. Age wise it lined up perfectly with saros taking over for rinne when he was about to retire. Not the case with saros and askarov. In my opinion one of them has to be traded and you’ll have to make a choice. If you give a 30 year old saros even a 6 year contract then that will bring askarov to a ufa. Plus a goalie like him isn’t gonna wanna wait 8 years to be a starter.

Reactions: puckguy97

puckguy97

Oct 12, 2023
Here’s my problem with that thinking. Rinne was 34 when we started giving the 21 year old saros games. Age wise it lined up perfectly with saros taking over for rinne when he was about to retire. Not the case with saros and askarov. In my opinion one of them has to be traded and you’ll have to make a choice. If you give a 30 year old saros even a 6 year contract then that will bring askarov to a ufa. Plus a goalie like him isn’t gonna wanna wait 8 years to be a starter.

The smart play in my mind is trading Saros next summer for maximum value. That gives Askarov an additional 40 games this season to hone his craft in Milwaukee then come up sometime in April if the Preds find themselves on the outside looking in (which I think most would agree is likely).

Hellebuyck coming off the market drives Saros' ask up significantly- both for his next contract as well as his trade value- and there will be lots of vets and/or reclamation projects Nashville can look at to split the net with Askarov in 24-25. Probably doesn't land them the 1C prospect that Trotz is looking for, but then maybe a team like Seattle, Anaheim or Detroit decides to accelerate their rebuild by trading for and signing Saros.

For example, does Wright get it done if maybe the Kraken find that goalie is still their Achilles heel this season but the roster is otherwise ready to contend? Do the Red Wings consider moving one of Kasper or Danielson if the core of Larkin/Raymond/DeBrincat/Seider/Edvinsson makes some noise? That would be a risky move for both teams, sure, but franchise goalies are the rarest commodity.

Edit: Totally missed LA in this, but they definitely have the assets to make a league-best push for Saros if they wanted to. That would easily push them into the upper echelon of teams.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Too many people are jumping the gun assuming that Askarov is going to be a quality NHL #1 goalie. He may never be. Until he at least gets into the NHL and starts showing signs, there's no point in talking seriously about this. Preds are going to have to extend Saros before this even has a chance to finish playing out.

Reactions: PredsV82

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Too many people are jumping the gun assuming that Askarov is going to be a quality NHL #1 goalie. He may never be. Until he at least gets into the NHL and starts showing signs, there's no point in talking seriously about this. Preds are going to have to extend Saros before this even has a chance to finish playing out.

This is my thing too. There is a lot of assuming. I think something like Shane Wright would be fine as a 1-for-1 since both haven't proven shit yet. But Askarov is a risk even if he's a great goalie prospect.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well and as you've pointed out several times, it's looking like expansion is going to come at some point. Having two decent ones and being to make that choice of who to protect may not be the worst situation to be in. When that comes who knows.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well and as you've pointed out several times, it's looking like expansion is going to come at some point. Having two decent ones and being to make that choice of who to protect may not be the worst situation to be in. When that comes who knows.
The "Who Knows" part is key IMO. Until the NHL announces their expansion date, and until we even find out with better clarity what Askarov really projects to in the NHL, I think we just have to keep moving forward with the bird in hand as our default. We have a top-5 NHL goalie in his prime, and the priority needs to be just retaining that asset. If somebody wants to overpay for the unknown in Askarov meanwhile, sure, that's exactly what Trotz took into consideration at the draft. But he unsurprisingly found out that nobody was ready to place that high a valuation on the unknown goalie. So... status quo. Until something happens which changes the picture, I don't see any movement coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad