Value of: May I ask what would be the ask for Askarov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
I don't think anybody on this list is in the range of what the Preds are looking for. Those are some good players, but if they pan out they are most likely to be just "more of the same" of what the Preds have now and have historically always had... somewhat "sub-par" band-aids for the #1C spot... as opposed to the "true #1C" that Trotz is looking for. Several of those players will become wingers. It would take a MORE significant prospect/pick than these guys. Which again comes back around to saying that effectively "Askarov is not available". Because nobody should pay that much for him.
ok dude… I dont think anybody is breaking down the door to trade askarov for a 23 year old 35g-40a center

so those are our options

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Turcotte, Roy, First

may seem silly now, but if Turcotte stays healthy he has looked really good.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Nobody knows any of the particulars, so how could you be "sure"? All we have is what some fans wanted and what some other fans would have been willing to give up, so that doesn't say anything at all. I suspect Trotz didn't even get close enough to haggle over such details. No team in this year's draft was even remotely interested in moving their pick, so it was all moot. Trotz was shut down on the basic premise, there was no opportunity for him to get to additional details like that.
sure of what the rumor was. it was published

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
ok dude… I dont think anybody is breaking down the door to trade askarov for a 23 year old 35g-40a center

so those are our options
The theme here isn't "What Would It Take For AintLifeGrand to trade Askarov"? Or "What Would Other NHL Teams Actually Be Willing To Give Up". It's what the actual Predators would require. As demonstrated by Trotz's documented attempts to move into the Top-5 of the draft in July. That's the only way at present that the actual Predators would move Askarov. Call it crazy if you want, but that's what we know today.

Reactions: Armourboy and Viqsi

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Well probably about the same as we were saying in all the threads around the draft: a prospect or pick with strong potential to become a true #1 center in the NHL. Which nobody will pay, yes, we all know that, nobody needs to point out that goalies don’t get traded for that much or that asking for a top5 pick for a player picked lower isn’t very nice. We know all that. But it’s what Trotz asked for at the draft and there’s no reason to think it would have changed since.

I dunno... if the Oilers had a prospect like that, I'm sure they'd pay it. It's all situational.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Should be at least an NHL caliber player, prospect, and mid round pick. If the Predators don't plan on promoting him, then do that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
His numbers in the ahl last year don't stand out, but he has the pedigree to be a good number 1 goalie in the nhl one day.
2.69 gaa and .911 sv% is very good for a 20 year old in the AHL.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
His numbers in the ahl last year don't stand out, but he has the pedigree to be a good number 1 goalie in the nhl one day.

It's hard betting on a young goalie. I still get nightmares from the Vesa Toskala trade 🤮
Just the Toskala-trade? Rask going to some team in New England was ok?:sarcasm:

PS. Yes, I AM an asshole:thumbu:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Goalies never go for that much…

I get it’s the preds fan want but if it’s the case then they should settle in with him on the team.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Goalies never go for that much…

I get it’s the preds fan want but if it’s the case then they should settle in with him on the team.
It's not even the case of what we want, it's a matter of what Trotz has shown he is willing to use him in a trade for right now. Basically if its not for a young #1C type player Trotz has pretty much said no to it.

It's why we've all stated through this thread that its silly for people to keeping asking, the price is unreasonable and we know that, so its a waste of everyone's time.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
It's not even the case of what we want, it's a matter of what Trotz has shown he is willing to use him in a trade for right now. Basically if its not for a young #1C type player Trotz has pretty much said no to it.

It's why we've all stated through this thread that its silly for people to keeping asking, the price is unreasonable and we know that, so its a waste of everyone's time.
yea sry but you will never get a young 1C for Askarov center is the most valuable and hardest position to fill no one trades them specially not for a goalie

That being said Habs should be very interested if he his available

Reactions: Colezuki

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

yeah this is the correct take, all teams are looking for a 1C if you have a 1C your looking for another, while I like askarov nothing fetches you a 1c unless your walking into a bit of Powder keg like the eichel situation. Or you draft one.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Should be at least an NHL caliber player, prospect, and mid round pick. If the Predators don't plan on promoting him, then do that.
The Preds do plan on promoting him... but... that's contingent on him continuing to develop. He isn't ready for the NHL today. Maybe after this season he will be? Maybe it will take him 1 or 2 more years in the AHL after this one? Maybe he'll never be ready? The Preds will be very happy to promote him when he's ready, and they're very comfortable stringing Lankinen along as backup in the meantime, as he has proven to be very solid in that role.

It might be 5 years before Askarov is ready to challenge as a top NHL starter, if he ever is. So it's a long-range timeline, and the only thing that is likely to collide with that for the Preds is if Expansion happens within that timeframe. The day that an official Expansion plan is set down by the league, well to me that's the proper date for people to come around looking for a more sane trade cost for Askarov. In the meantime, and without that complication, he fits the Preds' organizational needs and timeline perfectly, so he would only be available for something which fits an even bigger organizational need (the star #1C).

Reactions: Viqsi and Osakahaus

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Nashville fans know Askarov wont return a 1C. Trotz knows Askarov (alone) wont return a 1C which is why the offers at the draft included atleast 1 of our 1st rounds picks plus Askarov.

1C is what Nashville needs most. If Askarov or some combination of picks plus Askarov doesnt get us that, then we develop Askarov and use him when he is NHL ready. We arent looking to move Askarov. He was just our best trade chip to pair with our 1st to try to move into the top 5 in the draft. You dont use your best trade chips to get things you dont really need.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Nashville fans know Askarov wont return a 1C. Trotz knows Askarov (alone) wont return a 1C which is why the offers at the draft included atleast 1 of our 1st rounds picks plus Askarov.

1C is what Nashville needs most. If Askarov or some combination of picks plus Askarov doesnt get us that, then we develop Askarov and use him when he is NHL ready. We arent looking to move Askarov. He was just our best trade chip to pair with our 1st to try to move into the top 5 in the draft. You dont use your best trade chips to get things you dont really need.
1C is never going to be found by trading a goalie. thats the God's honest truth

Reactions: Johno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad