Speculation: Matthew Tkachuk MEGA Thread (informs Flames he will not sign long term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Surely the Flames won't blow this up without management changes, right?

In any case if you're sure Tkachuk is gone then the best choice is to move him ASAP. An arbitration award 1 year contract would be a disaster.
Tbh, I thought their GM, similar to Wpg, has had far too many seasons with lacklustre results to support the tenure they have but if you lose Johnny and Chuck, how do you not make the move to rebuild and get out of the mushy middle.

Yes, they had a great season this year but sample size suggests it would be the outlier vs the norm…

Tough situation to be in and feel for Calgary fans.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Time for a full on rebuild tbh. The Flames could get a ransom of draft picks and prospects for what they have on the roster so could be a quick rebuild. No point in trying to salvage the season when Fantilli, Michkov and Bedard are up there.
IMO the issue is with the flat cap the buyers can't buy. If this were next offseason then CGY would be rolling in top prospects and picks.
Unless CGY is willing to eat bad money, essentially dollar in for dollar out. This 2023 draft looks deep and having 3+ 1sts in it can swing a rebuild in 1 draft.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Just think, one OT goal did this.

ConnorFlamesMeme.png

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
It's not like Calgary didn't try their best to retain both. Can't really be mad at the club for that.
I just find it a little off that two major stars after a super successful season still decide to leave.

Maybe the Covid protocols in Canada and the uncertainty of what’s to come in future waves is really making Canada a tough sell for players.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
People laugh, but I think there is something coming in the next CBA for the NBA which is going to punish players that demand trades, think NBA owners are sick and tired of it, the NHL might hop on board.

That said it's kind of hard to tell a player who is a UFA and put in 8 years with a team that they don't have the right to go where they want.
Quick way to lose a season.

What can you do to a player that demands a trade? Especially if they're not holding out (and even if they are, the remedy is that you don't pay them while they're holding out which... you wouldn't be doing anyway).

Players can request whatever the hell they want. If they're under contract you technically can tell them sucks you're not happy anyway get back out there champ.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Quick way to lose a season.

What can you do to a player that demands a trade? Especially if they're not holding out (and even if they are, the remedy is that you don't pay them while they're holding out which... you wouldn't be doing anyway).

Players can request whatever the hell they want. If they're under contract you technically can tell them sucks you're not happy anyway get back out there champ.

Think the NBA owners are willing to lose a season if it comes to that. It's getting ridiculous over there. Durant/Kyrie broke the league.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If I was a Leafs fan ... I'll be honest ... I wouldn't be watching what's going on in Calgary with any glee. If American stars wanting to go back to America becomes a norm, that's not good when the Kings/Golden Knights/Ducks come a callin' for Matthews in a couple of years.
I have no glee in CGY's current situation and am keenly aware that our draconian covid policies have caused this. However that could lead to a nationalistic trend where star Canadian players want to return home. Splitting all elite canadian talent over 7 teams is better than splitting all american elite talent over 25 clubs.

Reactions: Double Dion

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Think the NBA owners are willing to lose a season if it comes to that. It's getting ridiculous over there. Durant/Kyrie broke the league.
Did they? Or did they break one team?

And once again - what's the remedy? How do you punish a player for saying "eh I don't want to play here."

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
No that is not what i am saying but if the stars you draft are american and they flee then you have to start rebuilding..ie Calgary. I would take all the Canadian stars over all the American stars any day!

And they did not draft Cooley either so you OK?
I'm not a Habs fan so don't really care who they picked. I just recall you being particularly certain they would take Wright 1st and then he fell to 4...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Did they? Or did they break one team?

And once again - what's the remedy? How do you punish a player for saying "eh I don't want to play here."

Not sure but I suspect something like a penalty (salary wise) for a player is going to be coming for players in the NBA who refuse to play out their contract or demand a trade within a certain time frame.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I wouldn't put the Isles in this boat, we have three RFAs and would need to maneuver to make this fit. It's certainly doable but I'm sure several other teams can do the same thing.
I did forget about Dobson so they may not be able to afford Tkachuk without getting rid of salary though he still is a fit for them
Romanov is a bridge contract type of RFA and Bellows is replicable

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I'm not a Habs fan so don't really care who they picked. I just recall you being particularly certain they would take Wright 1st and then he fell to 4...
did he fall to 4? I hadn't noticed. Will probably end up a good player. I think 80% of posters were certain the habs would pick the best player but you know...none of us here have d*ckall to say in these decisions. Go figure.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Gamble for both to sign the guy but this could work for both sides:

To Calgary: Miller, PoolMan, Palmu, 2024 4th, 2024 6th

To Vancity: Tkachuk, 2023 3rd round pick

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
I'm an Oilers fan, and Calgary is like public enemy #1

But oof.... not like this. This is way too close to Pronger/Peca etc. This truly is a dark time for Calgary. I hope you guys rebound faster then we did, so I can get back to hating you in the playoffs.

Reactions: YP44

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I have no glee in CGY's current situation and am keenly aware that our draconian covid policies have caused this. However that could lead to a nationalistic trend where star Canadian players want to return home. Splitting all elite canadian talent over 7 teams is better than splitting all american elite talent over 25 clubs.
Lol. As an American, I admit that would be funny as each American team would only have like 1 adequate American player (you said "elite" - how many American players are actually elite? 10?) but the Canadian teams would be 7 all star teams. I tell you what, those Canadian teams would be fantastic to watch! I would be down with that just to watch those Canadian teams.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad