Proposal: Matthew Tkachuk for Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If Treliving wasn't willing to give up Tkachuk for Eichel(.. :skeptic:.. really?) then I seriously doubt he'd give him up for Sulky Brewster.

Pettersson is a talented player and I do think he bounces back eventually but really not convinced he'll ever be the franchise C you need to win in the playoffs. Just doesn't have the skating or strength. Value wise it's closer than Canucks fans probably want to admit but likely favors the Flames, especially when contract status is considered.
He has 18 points in 17 playoff games. You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
We have 3 star LWers and Lucic and Coleman eating up significant cap space that also play the position. Eichel is signed for four years after this one and is a big, fast, scoring franchise C, something the Flames have lacked for nearly 25 years. You trade from positions of strength to build a roster, love Tkachuk but would not have been too broken up about him being in an Eichel deal.

EP has a career high of 66 points, has never been in the top 10 for scoring like Gaudreau has twice and is currently, and has never been top 5 in Hart voting like Gaudreau has. His best scoring finish is 23rd. Milan Lucic has more goals than him this season. What exactly in your mind makes him 'better than everyone of the Flames'?
If you truly believe Gaudreau is better than Pettersson than I won’t even waste my time having a discussion with you. Yikes

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Ok sure but as even insiders stated Tkachuk makes no sense for Buffalo since there is no way he would sign long term with a rebuilding team. It was confirmed by Adams that Tkachuk was never even in discussion. Calgary had the assets to acquire Eichel without moving anyone from their current top line or other current core players.

Well they clearly didn't. Buffalo could have flipped Tkachuk no problem, with lots of suitors, for potentially a comparable return to what they got for Eichel and had whatever else the Flames would have included. I'm not saying I doubt he was not in discussions, I'm saying he should have been.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
This would be too good of an opportunity for Calgary to pass up imho.

I don’t see enough reasons for Vancouver to bite though.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well they clearly didn't. Buffalo could have flipped Tkachuk no problem, with lots of suitors, for potentially a comparable return to what they got for Eichel and had whatever else the Flames would have included. I'm not saying I doubt he was not in discussions, I'm saying he should have been.
I was very much against acquiring Eichel. I would have done Tkachuk and a B level prospect. That's all I would have done.

I know my opinion on this is definitely a minority one, but I take Lindholm ahead of Eichel all day.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Stay mad and stay wrong then :dunno:

Gaudreau is leading a 1st place team in scoring. Pettersson is 5th on a 26th place Canucks club. 3 even strength points this year.
Ah yes, the old 20 games into a season argument to determine who’s the better player. Troy Terry better than Mackinnon and Pettersson too?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Ah yes, the old 20 games into a season argument to determine who’s the better player. Troy Terry better than Mackinnon and Pettersson too?

Alright, have it your way. We could do career points per game:
Gaudreau 0.96 (517/540)
EP 0.88 (163/185)
We could do single season career high in points:
Gaudreau 99
EP 66
We could do single season career high in goals:
Gaudreau 36
EP 28
We could do single season career high in assists:
Gaudreau 63
EP 39
We could do even strength production:
Gaudreau 5th since entering the league
EP 89th since entering the league
We could do season by season comparisons:
Gaudreau, EP
2018-19 99,66
2019-20 58,66
2020-21 49,21(EP only played 26 games)
2021-22 23,10

Which arguments would satisfy you?

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We can only hope pettersson can turn things around. At the same time if we are to trade him I rather just take package deal back instead.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Alright, have it your way. We could do career points per game:
Gaudreau 0.96 (517/540)
EP 0.88 (163/185)
We could do single season career high in points:
Gaudreau 99
EP 66
We could do single season career high in goals:
Gaudreau 36
EP 28
We could do single season career high in assists:
Gaudreau 63
EP 39
We could do even strength production:
Gaudreau 5th since entering the league
EP 89th since entering the league
We could do season by season comparisons:
Gaudreau, EP
2018-19 99,66
2019-20 58,66
2020-21 49,21(EP only played 26 games)
2021-22 23,10

Which arguments would satisfy you?
Compare Mackinnon's PPG from his first three years on Gaudreau. Not to mention you're forgetting the most important parts; he plays center and hes 10x defensively than Gaudreau. Not even close

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Petterson’s on the jonathan cheechoo trajectory.

upload_2021-11-25_14-1-29.gif

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Compare Mackinnon's PPG from his first three years on Gaudreau. Not to mention you're forgetting the most important parts; he plays center and hes 10x defensively than Gaudreau. Not even close

Wow. He plays center AND 10x defensively!? Ten TIMES! Not even CLOSE!

Surely then such a shutdown wizard would start often in the defensive zone, to get the puck out and defend their net. Yet for some strange reason he has started 79% of his 5v5 shifts in his career in the OZ. That is the highest of any player in the NHL over that time. Strange that such a defensive master of the game would be the most sheltered player in the league.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Wow. He plays center AND 10x defensively!? Ten TIMES! Not even CLOSE!

Surely then such a shutdown wizard would start often in the defensive zone, to get the puck out and defend their net. Yet for some strange reason he has started 79% of his 5v5 shifts in his career in the OZ. That is the highest of any player in the NHL over that time. Strange that such a defensive master of the game would be the most sheltered player in the league.
Lol way to cherry pick stats. Maybe he’s started 79% in the OZ because prior to this anomaly start, he’s one of the best offensive players in the league…and why don’t you look at his takeaways why you’re at it and maybe just maybe watch him play a game or two.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Lol way to cherry pick stats. Maybe he’s started 79% in the OZ because prior to this anomaly start, he’s one of the best offensive players in the league…and why don’t you look at his takeaways why you’re at it and maybe just maybe watch him play a game or two.

Cherry picked? Zone starts give a picture of how a player is used, and how a player is used suggests the things they're good at. Gaudreau is better in xGF% and SCF% over that time as well btw if you need even more.

I do watch the games, seen plenty of EP. Don't deny he's a talented player with a high ceiling. He gets overrated when people like you start claiming he's some elite 2 way center. That's not what the results say.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Cherry picked? Zone starts give a picture of how a player is used, and how a player is used suggests the things they're good at. Gaudreau is better in xGF% and SCF% over that time as well btw if you need even more.

I do watch the games, seen plenty of EP. Don't deny he's a talented player with a high ceiling. He gets overrated when people like you start claiming he's some elite 2 way center. That's not what the results say.
I didn’t say he’s an elite 2 way center. He’s miles ahead of Gaudreau though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad