Matthew Rempe elbowing on Jonas Siegenthaler (suspended 4 games)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Again, he's played countless games in the WHL and AHL. I've watched probably upwards of 60+ games of his over the years. Did you somehow just flat-out miss the fact that I brought up his entire career?
10-19-2021: 5 minute major for charging and game misconduct

11-21-2021: 5 minute major for boarding and game misconduct

12-3-2021: 10 minute misconduct. A checking to head penalty was also assessed at this time, but it doesn't say who the offender is

2-19-2022: 5 minute major for kneeing and game misconduct

3-12-2022 5 minute major for boarding and game misconduct

These are all non-fighting majors in one season alone.

Granted, I'm not claiming to watch these games, but this is a pretty remarkable history of questionable hits.

I didn't check other seasons, so maybe it's an anomaly. But considering his 10 games in the NHL, I doubt it.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
The cognitive dissonance is strong with you. Continue twisting yourself in pretzels in an attempt to justify the thug's actions and Laviolette's excuses.
have you played any meaningful hockey games? I'm on the edge of my seat..

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
That is exactly what happened. Anyone thinking he intentionally led with his elbow to his head are out to lunch. That said, it's still on him and he deserves a game or 2.

It's not like the kid hasn't played 100s of games at the chl and ahl level. People are acting like he had 1000 body bags.

You also probably have never played any meaniful hockey in your life

there's no such thing as meaningful hockey and also lol at the rest of this. like, come on.

in fact, I think anyone who has any real concept of the agility and skating abilities of even the worst NHL players understands that this was not how it went down.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Def should have got a 1 game penalty for the Bastian hit. I vaguely remember him seeming to leep into a leaf too, but I never saw the replay.

The Bastin hit, yea he was low but he seemed low the whole time, and a big hit was not even remotely necessary in that moment. I can see Rempe conceivably not “targeting” the head there but the drastic risk should have been extremely obvious.

It’s about having respect for your opponents.

It reminds me of Tom Wilson. He was rushed to the NHL because he was too big for juniors and they did t want him to cheat offensively, but the stupid AHL rule made 5 minutes per NHL game the only option.

The only thing he brought anywhere near an NHL level was physicality, and his coaches told him to use it and defended him publicly too like here.

I said then and I’ll say now, I didn’t necessarily believe Wilson was trying to injure players. He was trying to be physical and contribute. Lots of the “extra” stuff you’d see from Cooke and Marchand was largely absent from his game.

There’s players like Orlov who have a number of huge hits, but only as the opportunity presents. He doesn’t hunt them. Then you have guys like these trying to make an impact who are fishing for big hits. That will lead to trouble if you’re too eager.

Wilson got away with a lot because there were conceivable arguments that he was going for a clean hit at a risky moment and had unfortunate results. Height was brought up (by me too lol. I was a lot younger I don’t fully agree with all my old arguments)

Aside from the elbow which is so blatant, and I’m still curious about the apparent jump… but I see Rempe also basically taking runs every game even aside from the mentioned hits.

He’s arguably playing more over the line than on the line. As with the Wilson saga, you can argue they should have stepped in sooner to tame him. Ultimately they still failed to prevent a preventable injury but at least they seem to be ready to act sooner.. or maybe it’s just the elbow.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Def should have got a 1 game penalty for the Bastian hit. I vaguely remember him seeming to leep into a leaf too, but I never saw the replay.

The Bastin hit, yea he was low but he seemed low the whole time, and a big hit was not even remotely necessary in that moment. I can see Rempe conceivably not “targeting” the head there but the drastic risk should have been extremely obvious.

It’s about having respect for your opponents.

It reminds me of Tom Wilson. He was rushed to the NHL because he was too big for juniors and they did t want him to cheat offensively, but the stupid AHL rule made 5 minutes per NHL game the only option.

The only thing he brought anywhere near an NHL level was physicality, and his coaches told him to use it and defended him publicly too like here.

I said then and I’ll say now, I didn’t necessarily believe Wilson was trying to injure players. He was trying to be physical and contribute. Lots of the “extra” stuff you’d see from Cooke and Marchand was largely absent from his game.

There’s players like Orlov who have a number of huge hits, but only as the opportunity presents. He doesn’t hunt them. Then you have guys like these trying to make an impact who are fishing for big hits. That will lead to trouble if you’re too eager.

Wilson got away with a lot because there were conceivable arguments that he was going for a clean hit at a risky moment and had unfortunate results. Height was brought up (by me too lol. I was a lot younger I don’t fully agree with all my old arguments)

Aside from the elbow which is so blatant, and I’m still curious about the apparent jump… but I see Rempe also basically taking runs every game even aside from the mentioned hits.

He’s arguably playing more over the line than on the line. As with the Wilson saga, you can argue they should have stepped in sooner to tame him. Ultimately they still failed to prevent a preventable injury but at least they seem to be ready to act sooner.. or maybe it’s just the elbow.
I get what you're doing but the first time Wilson made a hit this bad was arguably the one on Sundqvist. Somebody brought Schenn up earlier in this thread and it was like a textbook spinning away from contact type of "boarding", he rode the line a lot longer than Rempe by... well... take 10 games and then add them up until you get Wilson's first suspension.

Reactions: PlushMinus

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I expect the Rangers much superior coaching staff to tell Rempe to not engage and let MacDermid chase him around AGAIN and throw the devils completely off AGAIN. MacDermid could easily have been called for a penalty in that first shift from hitting Rempe from behind but Rempe just bounced up and kept forechecking- maybe next game the refs call it and the devils start the game with a penalty right away.

At this point Rempe is in the devils heads - why let that come to an end with an opening minute fight? The more MacDermid plays the weaker the devils chances of doing ANYTHING.
maybe the inferior devils coaches instruct macdermid to go after another player and let rempe come to him. will he?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I get why you don't like it. You are worried he's going to take the head off of one of your players, but you are lying to yourself if you are going to claim you wouldn't want him playing for your team.
you have the copyright for pathetic stuff:
- zib is top5 forward in the league (after zib's career year)
- turcott will be better than jack hughes just last summer)
- now the rempe love

my golden rule: take the opposite of what you say

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey

12-3-2021: 10 minute misconduct. A checking to head penalty was also assessed at this time, but it doesn't say who the offender is

Granted, I'm not claiming to watch these games, but this is a pretty remarkable history of questionable hits.

I didn't check other seasons, so maybe it's an anomaly. But considering his 10 games in the NHL, I doubt it.

I read somewhere he was suspended like every 22 games in his whl career.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
That is exactly what happened. Anyone thinking he intentionally led with his elbow to his head are out to lunch. That said, it's still on him and he deserves a game or 2.

It's not like the kid hasn't played 100s of games at the chl and ahl level. People are acting like he had 1000 body bags.

You also probably have never played any meaniful hockey in your life

Yeah, the Department of Player Safety is famously full of guys who never played hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackjack

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Lmaooo. Love when people giving media comments act like the public don't have working eyeballs.

Their social media team is an absolute joke, Vince and Mollie offer 0 independent thought. Mollie posts bdays, neat/cool moments for the Gossip Girl Rangers fans. Vince is a shill that posts whatever narrative they're pushing.

Totally believable that he was bracing for the boards when contact with Siegs was 5' away from said boards. Ok, I'm done w/ this topic until 4/3.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

He said towards the start of the thread that he always admits when he's wrong, so I'm sure when he gets a chance he will respond and do so. I can't see him deflecting and doubling down, because he hates that.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Yeah, my opinion has changed since the Wilson thing.

You're right, I was pretty upset about that at the time. You didn't care. Most of the board didn't care. The DoPS didn't care. The Rangers were laughed at.

Now I don't care.

I don't believe in moral high ground in this league anymore. The league is not going to protect you and nobody is going to feel bad for you. That's just the reality.
rags fans on their joker arc lmao

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Very interested to see the reply to this.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
No problem with the suspension. He needed to be reeled in a bit.

Anyone saying he needed more are acting emotionally over logically. He had no prior history and the league has been consistently inconsistent in their punishments, especially with repeat offenders.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I know a few in here have said it was bad on Rempe to not "answer the bell" but honestly, who on the Devils other than MacDermid was going to go after him? People seem to think MacDermid was signed specifically to fight Rempe and that's just not true.

There have been numerous occasions this season with our players being on the receiving end of either extremely heavy but clean... or dirty hits. Hischier, Nosek, Bastian, Luke Hughes, and now Siegenthaler. No one on this Devils team does a damn thing.

MaDermid stuck up for his Devils teammates more in one night and 3 min+ of ice time than any other Devils player has this year and it's pathetic.

I've raged about Trouba... and I've been extremely upset over both Rempe hits (Bastian and Siegenthaler) but the truth is these guys know they can do aboslutely anything to the Devils without repercussions.

Trouba tried to destroy Hischier last season, missed and went flying. Trouba knocked out Meier when it was too late in game 7 last year. Trouba boarded McLeod in the pre-season (at this point, good). Trouba knocked out Nosek in the first meeting this year who missed significant time. Rempe knocked out Bastian and Trouba finished him off in the second meeting. Rempe knocked out Sigenthaler in the third meeting.

It's not even an argument about what hits were clean and which ones were over the line... it's about the fact that the Devils don't stick up for each other and they don't fight back... and it's been going on all year. Most Ranger fans obviously don't watch Devils games and think it's aaaaaaaaaalllll about them but it's so much more than that.

I don't want any Ranger players to get hurt... but FFS in the next meeting Devils players need to slash some ankles, hit harder, a few stiffer cross checks in scrums... if you take penalties, so what... have some balls.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Should have kept that chicken wing tucked. It didn't really look too bad but it was probably the angle. I'm guessing he'll be sitting a game for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad