Matthew Rempe elbowing on Jonas Siegenthaler (suspended 4 games)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Mess was one of the worst cheap shot artists in the game and never answered for his shit. HoF, captain, leader, legend etc but also a total scumbag.

Anyone who is bringing up Stevens in reference to what happened last night is most likely a new fan or casual who only heard how "bad" Stevens was in his day. The game was different from the pros to youth hockey. Putting your shoulder into someone's jaw was taught and celebrated. Not saying it's right but it's just the way it was. It's totally ok for you just to say you have no idea what you're talking about haha.
"Anyone who is bringing up Stevens in reference to what happened last night is most likely a new fan"

6a1477330330c69c739ca473465945d0.gif

Well that's certainly a take.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh, let me clear it up for you.

He’s earning major penalties, game misconducts and now probably suspensions at an alarming rate.

He’s getting these penalties by risking the health of other players, with unnecessary, and dangerous hits to their heads, which is against the rules of hockey.

Those rules, which have undergone a lot of changes in the past decade, are put in place to assure player safety.

There ya go
First of all, a lot of those penalty minutes are staged fights, which are WWE not hockey. And he's not the one running around looking for those staged fights. Every thirsty veteran enforcer wants to fight him to justify their spot on an NHL roster. So don't say that's him endangering opponents. That has nothing to do with endangering opponents.

He's had 3 incidents that in any way caused controversy. 2 hits against the Devils, and 1 against the Leafs. 2 were penalized. 1 wasn't. 1 will likely result in a suspension. You can try to coat it as heavily as you want, but those are literally the facts. He has 1 play that justifies a suspension. Not really seeing what he's done so far above others to justify this flawed reputation some are trying to give him.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The Devils being competent in the least on the major power plays Rempe gave them probably would have deterred this behavior much more effectively than anything else.
Both PPs were embarrassing.

The more embarrassing thing to me was the Devils response in the third. I’m not going to condone injuring players. But you would think that the Devils would attempt to finish every check they could or make every Ranger that comes near them pay the price in front of the net, etc.

Devils finished out that game like it was a pre-season game that meant nothing. Just earlier in the year Smith lined up Bedard with a clean hit and the Blackhawks spent a period and a half finishing every check. Last year, Hischier injured Barkov on a nothing play off the faceoff and they harassed him all game and jumped him after the empty net goal.

Devils did nothing. Hell Bahl had Panarin one-on-one in the final minute of the game in front of the net and played it as soft as you possibly could’ve.

Reactions: NYI365

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Both PPs were embarrassing.

The more embarrassing thing to me was the Devils response in the third. I’m not going to condone injuring players. But you would think that the Devils would attempt to finish every check they could or make every Ranger that comes near them pay the price in front of the net, etc.

Devils finished out that game like it was a pre-season game that meant nothing. Just earlier in the year Smith lined up Bedard with a clean hit and the Blackhawks spent a period and a half finishing every check. Last year, Hischier injured Barkov on a nothing play off the faceoff and they harassed him all game and jumped him after the empty net goal.

Devils did nothing. Hell Bahl had Panarin one-on-one in the final minute of the game in front of the net and played it as soft as you possibly could’ve.
[/QUOTE]

Very disheartening as a fan especially bc of the way they started the game. They came out flying and finishing checks, I think even Mercer threw half a check on someone.

• Haha
Reactions: rangersfansince08

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
"Anyone who is bringing up Stevens in reference to what happened last night is most likely a new fan"

6a1477330330c69c739ca473465945d0.gif

Well that's certainly a take.

Haha for sure but I don't see any other parallels between the two.. correct me if I'm wrong bc I'm confused by your confusion.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

holy shit, guy.

So here in this thread you're both trying to blame Siegenthaler for pulling up at the red line (which is a normal thing players do every single game to protect themselves) and suggest that the only reason the hit went wrong is because he did that.

You're also trying to give Rempe some kind of perverse credit for not completely shattering Siegenthaler's jaw with his elbow, even though Siegenthaler is the one who took protective action while you admit that Rempe keeps adjusting (illegally) to take a piece (illegally) out of Siegenthaler's head (illegally).

So his reflex to regular hockey plays and players protecting themselves is to try harder to do more damage? That's his reflex and you think this guy belongs in the game long term?
Hey guy, I didn't blame Siegenthaler for pulling up at the red line. If you are going to claim I said something try verifying I actually said it.

Rempe hit Siegenthaler illegally. No one is denying that. However, the evidence quite clearly shows he didn't try to run Siegenthaler with an elbow. He mistimed a hit and made a bad split-second decision to try to get a piece of the player instead of relenting.

That's what will get him suspended, but adding on some ridiculous intent to injure this guy is just way too far removed from what the video shows.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Load up on goons. 90's hockey is back. Bring back Brian Burke and Don Cherry! I'm loving it.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Except that isn't so. I see some people that are intent to make this guy a villain and are probably scared he's going to hurt their players. And there's plenty who haven't taken up that view.

I also wouldn't care if I was on my own. I watched the play multiple times. I can form my own opinions on what I watch.

How about you make an argument that I'm wrong instead of a weak attempt to discredit me?
everyone else in the thread has made their valid and correct arguments. It was a bullshit chicken wing hit.

Maybe teams are scared he's gonna hurt their players because he ILLEGALLY has done just that. He sure as shit hasn't hurt anyone with his fighting lol. I'm more concerned for him there...give your bestfriend a tip....you're not supposed to lead with your face....

OlfactoryHughes

Aug 8, 2007
Northern California
First of all, a lot of those penalty minutes are staged fights, which are WWE not hockey. And he's not the one running around looking for those staged fights. Every thirsty veteran enforcer wants to fight him to justify their spot on an NHL roster. So don't say that's him endangering opponents. That has nothing to do with endangering opponents.

He's had 3 incidents that in any way caused controversy. 2 hits against the Devils, and 1 against the Leafs. 2 were penalized. 1 wasn't. 1 will likely result in a suspension. You can try to coat it as heavily as you want, but those are literally the facts. He has 1 play that justifies a suspension. Not really seeing what he's done so far above others to justify this flawed reputation some are trying to give him.

Well, maybe because you’re mostly talking to devils fans, and the guy has played us for like 10 minutes and he’s gotten 2 majors and kicked out of both games on dirty plays.

It’s not that hard to see! 😂

Reactions: Bluenotes27

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Hey guy, I didn't blame Siegenthaler for pulling up at the red line. If you are going to claim I said something try verifying I actually said it.

Rempe hit Siegenthaler illegally. No one is denying that. However, the evidence quite clearly shows he didn't try to run Siegenthaler with an elbow. He mistimed a hit and made a bad split-second decision to try to get a piece of the player instead of relenting.

That's what will get him suspended, but adding on some ridiculous intent to injure this guy is just way too far removed from what the video shows.
Well nobody said "intent to injure" either as in my mind it requires premeditation and gets thrown around too often.

Instinctively doing things like this that cause damage and injury is slightly better than doing it fully on purpose but not good enough to excuse it as a hapless accident.
The conclusion that people must be new fans if they are bringing up Scott Stevens.
I think the idea is that bringing up Scott Stevens as a dirty hitter is applying a retroactive lens to what was much more acceptable in the time and it's harder to understand the line if you didn't watch it.

It's like calling a defensive end from the 90's a psychopath because of what he's doing to quarterbacks because the NFL has moved on from encouraging that part of the game. There's always going to be a spectrum of "clean, hard-nosed play" and "dirty" play but that window shifts over time and we've seen it shift over the last ~2 decades here. Stevens comes up a lot more than he used to as an example of a "dirty" hitter when the league and fans shied away from some of the more violent, bigger hits.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
View attachment 834660
Here's the Rags take on horrifying acts of violence. Oh, sorry I guessed they changed their stance on horrifying acts of violence.
Again... The league chose violence.

The Rangers restructured their entire team from the President of Hockey operations on down after the league failed to protect Panarin.

Welcome to the arms race.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

What evidence? The video where he chicken wings the player?

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Sdevils42

Nov 30, 2016
Um... Not going to get into how Emelin tripped Kreider...

So let's talk about how the league failed to police Wilson and created an arms race. (no pun intended)

Wilson blatantly injured Panarin, no supplementary discipline.

Rangers decide to change the makeup of their roster to conform to this league "blessed" physicality.

And here we are.

Whoa whoa whoa... blatantly injured Panarin? You mean the scrum where Panarin jumped on Wilson's back (which is being a good teammate btw) from behind and got flung to the ice? Blatantly injuring Panarin is a wiiiild narrative.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think you think your comment comes off as morally superior, but it doesn't.

I want Rempe to play the way he does. It's why he's such an effective player. 95% of the time he plays clean. 5% he doesn't. You live with the 5% because the 95% is a very effective player, and 5% is a very small percentage compared to 5%.

How is he risking health and careers? Has one player had a real serious injury that he hit yet? Hockey is a contact sport. Players are going to get bumps and bruises. Do you watch UFC or boxing? It gets a lot worse than Rempe hit someone too hard or slightly mistimed a hit.

By what measure is he not an NHL player?

I wish he played more than 5:38 per game. If a fan of his team is saying they want him to play more, maybe you should take the hint that you aren't right about this and accept he's better than your brief glance at NHL.com to check his point totals.
When that fan is saying “this is what he’s paid to do and I have no issue with it” in the context of his getting a 5min major, suspension and injury to the head of the opposition in going to go ahead and ignore anything else that fan has to say about him

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
When that fan is saying “this is what he’s paid to do and I have no issue with it” in the context of his getting a 5min major, suspension and injury to the head of the opposition in going to go ahead and ignore anything else that fan has to say about him
You are making up context that didn't occur as you state.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You are going to have to explain how he contributes nothing. You've been presented with substantial evidence that isn't the case.

Otherwise, there's nothing to discuss with you further on this.
He plays 5mins a game, takes horrible penalties and has a whopping 2pts on the season.

For context, Derek Boogard averaged 5:09 over his career.

I guess he fights people? If this were 1992 you may have a point

You are making up context that didn't occur as you state.
Those were YOUR words big guy.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Whoa whoa whoa... blatantly injured Panarin? You mean the scrum where Panarin jumped on Wilson's back (which is being a good teammate btw) from behind and got flung to the ice? Blatantly injuring Panarin is a wiiiild narrative.
Punching Buchnevich in the back of the head while he lays on the ice? Take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad