Confirmed with Link: Matteau to MTL for Devante Smith-Pelly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm still pissed at Shero that he bought out Zubrus instead of Ruutu. dumb move. i miss Zubie.

Nope

Still the right move all the way.

Zubrus last year was absolutely worse than Ruutu this year.

It just so happens that this year, Ruutu is horrifically worse than current Zubrus and last year's Zubrus too. It was the right move, I don't think anyone could foresee Ruutu falling off this badly. Especially since he's only 33 years old and Zubrus is 37.

It was also easier to buyout Zubrus and only have him on the cap for one more year because he was a 35+ contract. That way he's not a burden on the cap next year at all, even though we'll still be paying him in real dollars, which means nothing when you're not a shoestring budget team. Zubrus is a 10-12 point 4th line player these days. Ruutu is a.... who the hell knows how many points? Could he go scoreless in 82 games?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
I couldn't care less about what his advanced stats say to be honest.

He's looked great since joining us, the points are a bonus. He's fit in very well with his linemates and with Hynes' system, he brings an element that we've lacked for a while and an element we hoped Matteau would eventually bring. And he's still pretty young. I don't want to lump him into the "core" group of guys but I can see him being a good guy for us to keep around in the long-term. AANNDD he's a right wing which we sorely lack.

It'd be foolish to trade him, absolutely foolish.

What advanced stats did I mention?

Don't forget that Bobby Farnham did seven goals through like 25 games at one point this year. The goals I've seen from DSP seem extremely lucky to me. He obviously deserves some credit for being in the right spot, but he won't continue getting these bounces.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

Don't forget that Bobby Farnham did seven goals through like 25 games at one point this year. The goals I've seen from DSP seem extremely lucky to me. He obviously deserves some credit for being in the right spot, but he won't continue getting these bounces.

Lucky? This is non-sense.

He works hard in front of the net. Sure, there might be some luck involved, but calling them "Extremely lucky" is a stretch.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

He won't continue to produce the way he does, but he does give us a net-front presence and right-handed shot, both what this team needs.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He is obviously not going to shoot 50% forever, I think we all realize that

but his play even without the goal scoring has been above average IMO. just in that Minnesota game the other day, his forecheck created the first Henrique goal and he made an awesome pass for the 2nd Henrique goal.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Lucky? This is non-sense.

He works hard in front of the net. Sure, there might be some luck involved, but calling them "Extremely lucky" is a stretch.

Everyone seems to overreact so much when anyone describes anything as lucky or unsustainable.

He had 14 goals in 195 total NHL games. Now he has half of that in only nine games. It's not like he turned into the next great goal scorer over night and a lot of his goals have been of the "right time, right place" variety. He goes hard to the net, but he's not always going to get the bounces right to him.

That's not to diminish what he's done at all, I personally believe teams and players create their own luck. Yet at the same time, I highly doubt he's going to be able to find the puck in net-mouth scrambles as often as he has of late.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think it's clear that DSP is on a hot streak right now, so obviously there is some luck involved, but he's also working hard and playing how he needs to in order to be successful and have an impact on games. If he can chip in with goals from the second or third line as a second/third line in-betweener, I'd be happy with DSP long-term.

Honestly, I don't see much point in trading DSP over the off-season. His hot streak isn't going to inflate his value enough for Shero to be able to get anything amazing for him (remember he was recently acquired for Matteau, a player who had proven nothing in the NHL and whose future was very much a question mark). Besides, from Hynes' comments, I think DSP is seen as a player they want to keep around, and that's why he was acquired. Trading DSP just seems like making a trade to make a trade. There are a lot more things I'd rather see Shero do over the summer than trade DSP, unless some awesome (and highly unlikely) offer comes along.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
There's been nothing lucky about pretty much all of his goals. Getting good position in front of the net and banging home a loose puck isn't lucky. He's obviously not gonna score at this rate, but I see no reason why he couldn't pot 10-15 next year with consistent linemates and minutes.

And he hasn't just scored goals. He's made beautiful passes, uses his body, has drawn penalties and has done just about everything you could ask of him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
opportunity + motivation(playing to save your career) is what we are seeing.
It is what we saw with Stempniak as well.

I think Bernier is an another example. We saw Bernier get opportunity and be motivated to save his career on a couple of different times in New Jersey in 2012 and in 2015 and it yielded success. That is certainly true with Tootoo last year as well. Fighting to save your career is a pretty good motivator. But when you are in a position to "have to" save your career, that pretty much sums up what the player is, doesn't it?

I will admit there is a big difference here, DSP is young. So will see. I'm just very skeptical and still would rather have a 3rd for Matteau.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
There's been nothing lucky about pretty much all of his goals. Getting good position in front of the net and banging home a loose puck isn't lucky. He's obviously not gonna score at this rate, but I see no reason why he couldn't pot 10-15 next year with consistent linemates and minutes.

And he hasn't just scored goals. He's made beautiful passes, uses his body, has drawn penalties and has done just about everything you could ask of him.

Nothing lucky about his goals? He's had like three goals that barely trickled over the goal line that he made extremely limited contact on.

Most of the time those are not goals, no matter how good someone's net front presence is.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

I think Bernier is an another example. We saw Bernier get opportunity and be motivated to save his career on a couple of different times in New Jersey in 2012 and in 2015 and it yielded success. That is certainly true with Tootoo last year as well. Fighting to save your career is a pretty good motivator. But when you are in a position to "have to" save your career, that pretty much sums up what the player is, doesn't it?

I will admit there is a big difference here, DSP is young. So will see. I'm just very skeptical and still would rather have a 3rd for Matteau.

I don't think we were getting a third for Matteau. Maybe a sixth, but probably not a third.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Nothing lucky about his goals? He's had like three goals that barely trickled over the goal line that he made extremely limited contact on.

Most of the time those are not goals, no matter how good someone's net front presence is.

Battling for a puck and getting it over the goal line isn't lucky. He's been crashing the net better than anyone on this team and has benefited from it. When you're in the crease and you get to a puck, there's a good chance it's gonna go in. Obviously luck plays a role, but you shouldn't write off how he's battled for pucks.

And even if he had half the amount of goals he has now he'd still be pretty great. He plays hard and has flashed skill. He's shown he belongs pretty clearly.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
who the HELL was trading a 3rd round pick for Matteau? come on now, that is silliness

plus, do you understand how few 3rd round picks even make the NHL, let alone can be mainstays in an NHL lineup?

I think DSP is a 4th liner going forward most likely. But still, that is an NHL player. a 3rd round pick may be nothing.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

But why? What are the chances the 3rd round pick even makes the NHL, let alone plays the way DSP shows he's been capable of? You also need to factor in how far that player is from playing in the NHL, if they are capable of doing so. What's the usual clock, around ~3 years for a 3rd round pick? DSP is still young, he's not only capable but he's shown he can have a real strong impact on the team.

I know you like to remain positive regarding prospects and their potential but there's a very real possibility that 3rd round pick never steps foot, or has an impact, on NHL ice.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

What happened to your rant about the value of time and all that? lol. We got a young fairly developed player who can play in the NHL, how is that not better than a 3rd round pick (which we'd never get for that turd)?

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
But why? What are the chances the 3rd round pick even makes the NHL, let alone plays the way DSP shows he's been capable of? You also need to factor in how far that player is from playing in the NHL, if they are capable of doing so. What's the usual clock, around ~3 years for a 3rd round pick? DSP is still young, he's not only capable but he's shown he can have a real strong impact on the team.

I know you like to remain positive regarding prospects and their potential but there's a very real possibility that 3rd round pick never steps foot, or has an impact, on NHL ice.

Adam Henrique is pretty much best case scenario for a third round pick and it even took him 3 years to make the NHL

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

The chances are very low and even if successful the development time is probably going to be 3 to 5 years...

But I just think for where we are as a team, having the opportunity to make a choice at the draft table is a better scenario than a player with very limited ceiling.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
For Matteau, I think you're looking at a low-level pick, not a mid-round pick, so it really is more a question of if you would prefer a sixth rounder or DSP. Matteau just hadn't shown near enough to be worth a third round pick, sadly.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The chances are very low and even if successful the development time is probably going to be 3 to 5 years...

But I just think for where we are as a team, having the opportunity to make a choice at the draft table is a better scenario than a player with very limited ceiling.

But he doesn't have a limited ceiling. His ceiling is actually pretty high. He was highly touted early in his career. The question is whether he can reach his ceiling and we don't really know.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Battling for a puck and getting it over the goal line isn't lucky. He's been crashing the net better than anyone on this team and has benefited from it. When you're in the crease and you get to a puck, there's a good chance it's gonna go in. Obviously luck plays a role, but you shouldn't write off how he's battled for pucks.

And even if he had half the amount of goals he has now he'd still be pretty great. He plays hard and has flashed skill. He's shown he belongs pretty clearly.

I suspect DSP will be a scapegoat 30 or 40 games into next season when he's on a 20+ game goal drought and people mistakenly developed expectations that we had a solid third line winger.

People tend to oversell things like tenacity and puck battle ability when a player has goals going in.

I don't really have any problem with the trade since Matteau had very little value. Just not getting my hopes up on a fluky run by DSP.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
who the HELL was trading a 3rd round pick for Matteau? come on now, that is silliness

plus, do you understand how few 3rd round picks even make the NHL, let alone can be mainstays in an NHL lineup?

I think DSP is a 4th liner going forward most likely. But still, that is an NHL player. a 3rd round pick may be nothing.

4th lines don't have streaks like this, he's a third liner at worst and will be one of the better ones in the league.. I think a Randy McKay type offensive player is what we have. The guy is finally getting chances to playing on a scoring line, just like Palmeri. I will stand by this comment. His potential is very high with that size and skill.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
4th lines don't have streaks like this, he's a third liner at worst and will be one of the better ones in the league.. I think a Randy McKay type offensive player is what we have. The guy is finally getting chances to playing on a scoring line, just like Palmeri. I will stand by this comment. His potential is very high with that size and skill.

sure they do, Farnham had 7 goals in like 20 games and hasn't scored one since then

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
DSP is a lot younger than Farnham, and I think he showed more at the NHL level prior to coming here than Farnham. I think he's a better NHL player than Farnham and with a higher potential. How much better and with how much higher a potential remains to be seen, but I think it's selling DSP short to think that he isn't better than Farnham.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad