Confirmed with Link: Matteau to MTL for Devante Smith-Pelly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Way to stick with that gwg tonight, showed patience and kept at it til he scored

Also had a hit in the corner to start off that sequence if I recall

Real glad he's making such a big splash with us so far, great for his confidence plus endearing himself to fans right off the bat

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
Well he's now equalled, in three weeks and 9 games, Rod Pelley's goal output for the team, netted over the course of six years and 214 games. :handclap:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
What a move by sHero..clear cut robbery and it's not even debatable. He's done a nice job of adding some RW talent with Palmieri and DSP. Those two could be on the team for quite some time.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
In the first period, Matteau had a wide open chance for a shot in close. Instead of fire it on net, he attempted to rifle a cross-ice pass between two defenders and find his linemate who was blanketed. To be fair, he was quite active on that shift leading up to the chance.

Habs board is on thread #2 for the trade. It is worth a check if you have some time on your hands.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Definitely a big strong guy and looks like he is solid in front of the net. But he is not quick...hes slow lets be honest.

I like him though so far, if he can fill the role Clarkson had being a productive 3rd liner who produces on the PP, great.

He's a big boy.

If he loses 10 pounds or so, I think he'd be a lot faster.

But I don't think he necessarily has to be faster right now. I don't think it's really been a detriment to his game.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What a move by sHero..clear cut robbery and it's not even debatable. He's done a nice job of adding some RW talent with Palmieri and DSP. Those two could be on the team for quite some time.

Don't forget Stemp and Lappin.

Obviously Schlem is gone, but he was a great RW find. While Lappin's early AHL career is very promising.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
the problem with the 'we didn't give matteau a chance' argument is that if we gave him a chance everyone else would know he sucks and we'd never have got DSP

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Well he's now equalled, in three weeks and 9 games, Rod Pelley's goal output for the team, netted over the course of six years and 214 games. :handclap:

He really played that many games for us? Jesus...

We even had depth back then too...

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

I faintly remember him scoring a "post and in" goal against Colorado years ago. I think it was in 08 when Marty was standing on his head and dragged that team into the playoffs. Pelley was Madden's "replacement" of course....:laugh:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I had to go double check that Pelley had played that many games because I didn't believe it. Incredible...

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

He was one of the worst players to ever play for us, considering we had depth at the time. He was a forward's answer to Mark Fraser. Fitting that both came up together and were traded out of town together.

And the Matteau trade would have been fair if we had traded Matteau for a Jacob Josefson clone.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
He's a big boy.

If he loses 10 pounds or so, I think he'd be a lot faster.

But I don't think he necessarily has to be faster right now. I don't think it's really been a detriment to his game.

He clearly has a decent amount of excess body fat. But regardless he has been effective so far. Could certainly work on his skating, that is one of his known weaknesses.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I had to go double check that Pelley had played that many games because I didn't believe it. Incredible...

Pelley was basically our Josefson back then only without being a beloved first-round pick that got top-line chances.

He clearly has a decent amount of excess body fat. But regardless he has been effective so far. Could certainly work on his skating, that is one of his known weaknesses.

I mean Byfuglien's like 300 pounds and can still move, I remember him skating circles around Greene a couple years back.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Pelley was basically our Josefson back then only without being a beloved first-round pick that got top-line chances.

I mean Byfuglien's like 300 pounds and can still move, I remember him skating circles around Greene a couple years back.

He is listed as 260 at 6'5. Buf is a very good skater that is true, guy is a unique player. Skating might just be DSP's weak point.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Yeah he definitely has some thickness to him.

But if his effectiveness becomes a problem due to his size and body fat, I do know from experience that it's easier to lose weight than to fix many other things that can go wrong or be a detriment to a player.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Don't give up on Matteau yet, he just needs to be played with good players and given consistent icetime!:sarcasm:

They all gave up on him. Man I kind of want to give them hugs...or candy. Its rough over there about this trade. I don't get it from a Habs point of view. Matts wasn't worth a 5th rounder to me and they traded a warm body that has shown flashes of good play in the past. Don't get it.

Lots of "he isn't a NHL player" over there. Which is mostly right. Matts isn't a NHL player. Lots of wishing DSP well though so you have to appreciate the class.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They all gave up on him. Man I kind of want to give them hugs...or candy. Its rough over there about this trade. I don't get it from a Habs point of view. Matts wasn't worth a 5th rounder to me and they traded a warm body that has shown flashes of good play in the past. Don't get it.

Lots of "he isn't a NHL player" over there. Which is mostly right. Matts isn't a NHL player. Lots of wishing DSP well though so you have to appreciate the class.

I never understood the disappointment in a few of the early posts in this GDT right after the trade happened. I don't wanna call them outrage, but a few people were baffled and questioned what sense it made. But I immediately thought it was an upgrade. Even if he's only a 30 point guy next year, it's an upgrade to me, because I don't think Matteau will be a 30 point player in the NHL. At least not consistently. I think the best we could have hoped for out of Matteau in a trade was a Jacob Josefson type player. Like whoever is Montreal's version of Josefson.

I do feel bad for them though. Between the Price injury, having to actually watch Ben Scrivens play games for them this year, their GM not firing a bad coach, now this trade. They've had it a lot worse than most fanbases on the year.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
In the first period, Matteau had a wide open chance for a shot in close. Instead of fire it on net, he attempted to rifle a cross-ice pass between two defenders and find his linemate who was blanketed. To be fair, he was quite active on that shift leading up to the chance.

Habs board is on thread #2 for the trade. It is worth a check if you have some time on your hands.
Glad DSP is doing well with you guys, he was misused over and over by our idiiot coach Therrien...MaToe has been awful for the Habs...a real steal of a deal for you guys...

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012

Exactly this.

There's so much complaining about him not being given a chance, but there's nothing, nothing, about Matts or what he's shown under Pete, Hydra or Hynes that suggests he's anything but a bust. It's almost comical how much the "never given a chance" choir has rung in this thread given how low everyone as on him during and after camp. He was never more than a PIM-machine. DSP is an NHLer with upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad