Matias Maccelli has been quietly burning down villages

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah those were some nice passes against Nashville (and he does them pretty regularly and to a pretty high success rate, they don't seem to be dangerous blind passes). Very exciting player to watch - not as flashy as some others but makes nice small plays and then these wilder surprise plays on a frequent basis.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Again picked up 2 nice assists against Kings. Maccelli is a really good playmaker. He always looks for the pass - should maybe start shooting too. He kinda reminds me of Marner in that regard.

38gp 3g 24a 27p

Reactions: Wats

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Beniers 71gp 20g 30a 50p +9 TOI 17.03

Maccelli 57gp 10g 33a 43p +5 TOI 15.35

If Maccelli hadnt missed a few games the race for calder would be quite interesting.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
It should be interesting anyway, but a European Coyotes 4th rounder has no chance against a former 2OA WJC winner.
Pretty much this. Even if they had the same point totals, I think Beniers simply has more hype.

Reactions: Hollowmoon

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Pretty much this. Even if they had the same point totals, I think Beniers simply has more hype.
Maccelli is really impressive and might be 1st line winger in the future driving the play. Berniers have better story though, and stories ultimatelly decide these kind of awards. Krakens were in the bottom part of the preseason rankings. Right now that team is serious contender for the playoff seed, and Berniers is one of most important player of that team.

Even if Maccelli had 10 points more in same amount of games, i would still easily pick Berniers as the Calder winner if that team makes into playoffs. Maccelli might be close with his play, but the voting is not going to be close.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Not a fan of Beniers while I have nothing against Maccelli either (as a fellow Finn) but if two rookies end up at the same performance numbers but player A was way stronger in the first half of the season and then plateaud while player B had a rough start but finally found his stride in the second half, player A should be the clear choice for Calder -- even if at season's end player B would likely be considered the better player going forward because of the drastic difference in trajectories.

Why? Because that's that Calder is about: the most outstanding new player (with certain restrictions regarding age and gp), the one who's the best equipped from the get go (I know the official definition acknowledges the whole season). That's also why I think the age limit should be reduced way more, too. Maybe to something like 23 years (currently 26 old by Sept. 15 of their rookie season).

There is a clear drawback to this view, however: high draft picks will be in favored positions as they are more likely given playing time early on, roster depth also plays a big role. Players like rookie Stamkos also get shafted if the coach just likes to put young players into the dog house just for the heck of it.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
The fact that everyone knows Beniers already has the Calder "locked-up" is why it is such a silly award. In addition to Maccelli, what about Owen Power? Stuart Skinner?

No sense in wasting your time thinking about it.

Reactions: ck26

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
He's starting to get more confident in shooting the puck the last few games too. Special player and it'll be a travesty if he isn't a Calder finalist.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The Oilers have played the Coyotes twice in the last week

Maccelli has been mighty impressive. I'm not saying he has the same ceiling, but his game reminds me of Johnny Gaudreau's. Him and Keller (also great in both games) are a handful. They both play such a slippery, deceptive, skilled game. Both use their (lack of) size to their advantage brilliantly. Two highly entertaining players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad