Matias Maccelli has been quietly burning down villages

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a consistant 55-60 points scorer with occasional seasons that top that if he gets to play with a real sniper.

He already has 45 points in 60 games so he’s peaked already?

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
No way he ever scores 100 points with such poor finishing skills.
He's actually shooting at 17,5%. Just always tries to pass. Probably will have to change that going forward as people will start to figure him out so we'll see then, but I don't see his finishing as an issue. Not claiming 100 points just yet though lol

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He already has 45 points in 60 games so he’s peaked already?
Scoring 45 points in games is amazing, but not as good as scoring 60 points in 82.

He's a pretty darn good player!
He's actually shooting at 17,5%. Just always tries to pass. Probably will have to change that going forward as people will start to figure him out so we'll see then, but I don't see his finishing as an issue. Not claiming 100 points just yet though lol
He picks his spot and does that very well. But as you can see, not very often.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Scoring 45 points in games is amazing, but not as good as scoring 60 points in 82.

He's a pretty darn good player!

He picks his spot and does that very well. But as you can see, not very often.

Still you are looking at 45 in 60 games, I would like to think he hasn’t hit his offensive ceiling yet

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Still you are looking at 45 in 60 games, I would like to think he hasn’t hit his offensive ceiling yet
I would like to think so too, but the sample is too small and there are one season wonders and hot streaks. Imagine if Joé Juneau's sophomore season was just him getting started..

Reactions: BB88

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I would like to think so too, but the sample is too small and there are one season wonders and hot streaks. Imagine if Joé Juneau's sophomore season was just him getting started..

It's a lot safer bet to suggest a player will improve after their first season, than for them to be a second coming of Joe Juneau. Sure there is the statistical possibility of a player having their best season in their first season but it's not of high probability.

Reactions: egelband and Deas

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I'm surprised Maccelli is doing so good in NHL. He scored 39 points in 51 games in Liiga 2 seasons ago. Didn't dominate offensively there, was small and had mediocre defensive game. I wasn't sure he was even going to be NHL player.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm surprised Maccelli is doing so good in NHL. He scored 39 points in 51 games in Liiga 2 seasons ago. Didn't dominate offensively there, was small and had mediocre defensive game. I wasn't sure he was even going to be NHL player.
Yeah, I figured he'd do what most finnish forwards who aren't highly touted do; one or two years in the A and then back home.

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a consistant 55-60 points scorer with occasional seasons that top that if he gets to play with a real sniper.
He's already scoring at 0.75 ppg which translates to 60 points if he had played full 82 games. It's his first full season up in NHL and he should be able to improve most aspects of his game.

Reactions: mattihp

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Atleast he also scored clearly above ppg in his ahl rookie season.
So there’s clearly offensive talent and offensive consistency

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Meaningless. He's been skating on a line with ... *checks notes* ... Jack McBain and Lawson Crouse.

Anyone would look like a superstar with linemates like that.
0FC2C76C-DF26-43B0-A657-48622B2D792B.png

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Atleast he also scored clearly above ppg in his ahl rookie season.
So there’s clearly offensive talent and offensive consistency
Some really odd players have scored well in the AHL. Ilari Filppula for one. Teemu Pulkkinen lit up that league, one season before Rantanen had a worse season. It's not a well organized league and just running and gunning and some skill can be enough to be a star.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
He should actually take the Calder over Beniers. Beniers is on a playoff team that scores by committee and has good depth. Macelli is on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league and has a better point per game ratio, and frankly is just more impressive. Beniers is great - it won’t be a shame if he wins either. But Macelli should definitely be a finalist and I don’t think it should be a foregone conclusion that it’s Benier’s trophy. Macelli is equally, if not more deserving.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Teemu Selänne joined the chat.

Sorry, I had to.

Yeah there was something with that season, since both of the examples are from it :D

And I hope he doesn't join any chats, I've been a huge fan all my life and the more he says stuff these days the more I cringe. Why can't we just keep the memories and make him shut up? :D

Reactions: pikkuvaimo

Feb 4, 2017
Stockholm
Im pretty sure that the The Finn Club members that argues for Calder for MM hasnt seen many full Kraken games. A vast majority of nordics (myself included) mostly watches highlights and boxscore due to the fact that most of the games are night games for us...

Yet, I do believe that MM has exceptional vision and passing game, and should be a name in the race.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Some really odd players have scored well in the AHL. Ilari Filppula for one. Teemu Pulkkinen lit up that league, one season before Rantanen had a worse season. It's not a well organized league and just running and gunning and some skill can be enough to be a star.

His scoring has carried into every level, unlike Pulkkinens or Filppulas’.

Might as well question every young players production.

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
Dont care about the production but watch him play you can see that his size is pretty much his only weakness. When he learns to use his suprisingly good wrist shot he will be one of the best finns in this league. He has taken huge steps.

Will be close to same category with Barkov and Rantanen. I know its hot take but somehow pretty sure about this.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Beniers

76gp 23g 33a 56p +13 17.10min/gp ozS 57%

Maccelli

62gp 11g 37a 48p +2 15.35min/gp ozS 43%

Seattle is +35 and Arizona -67...

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Beniers

76gp 23g 33a 56p +13 17.10min/gp ozS 57%

Maccelli

62gp 11g 37a 48p +2 15.35min/gp ozS 43%

Seattle is +35 and Arizona -67...

Beniers is a huge reason why they are a playoff team in their second year or existence. Also he's 2 years younger . It's clearly his to lose.

Reactions: Hogan20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad