Massive changes coming to Vancouver Canucks coaching staff Monday

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Absolutely shameful, Being a Canucks fan is brutal right now, This orginazation is f***ing pathetic, Nobody deserves this, brutal treatment of one of the classiest coaches in the league.
I doubt many many people will disagree with you. Bruce is a good man and doesn’t deserve this public humiliation. I almost think that Rutherford is being held to do this by Aquilini. If not, then I hope Rutherford gets the same humiliation. This is despicable.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I doubt many many people will disagree with you. Bruce is a good man and doesn’t deserve this public humiliation. I almost think that Rutherford is being held to do this by Aquilini. If not, then I hope Rutherford gets the same humiliation. This is despicable.
If Rutherford is being held to do this against his will, I don't think I even give Rutherford a pass here. He has been around the game how long? He's been involved with NHL in one way or another since like the 60s? At 73 if Aquilini walks in and tells me, "hey, this is what we are going to do to Bruce", I think I resign. Its highly unlikely he needs the money from the job.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
What a joke the Canucks are.

It's pretty obvious Rutherford never wanted Bruce to begin with but that tear the Canucks went on when he came aboard forced his hand.

You're going to fire a guy, by all accounts is a solid coach for Rick Tocchet? What the f*** has the gamblin' man done to deserve another job? He was so bad in Tampa he lasted a year and then did absolutely nothing with a Coyotes roster that honestly wasn't as awful as he made it look. Most coaches are told to pound sand after #2 yet this guy's name constantly comes up in rumors (Was a name tied to the Bruins and Flyers vacancies too in the summer)

I wish nothing but ill upon that org. The way they're treating a guy who most people consider to be a good dude is criminal.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Bruce Boudreau is the only one with any class. He still looks good.

No respect for Rutherford and Aquilini, who probably just doesn't want to pay yet another coach.

I'm very surprised that Rutherford would put up with this. It so tarnishes his reputation.

Not a good look for Patric Allvin either, but unlike Rutherford one can understand him not resigning and trying to keep his gig so early in his career. However, it is true that you should start things off the way you want them to continue, and this fiasco is not a good start to his NHL GM career. He might have earned some respect and been further ahead by resigning to separate himself from this treatment of Boudreau.

Rutherford should have got off the bus and told Aquilini where to go a long time ago.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Yeah that's tough. Working in toxic places is hard enough without the whole world knowing your basically on working notice. It's not like someone who gets called into HR and written up behind closed doors, the dude is basically publicly fired but still has to parade himself in front of everyone.

I thought Rutherford was an ass for what came out about how he was mad he didn't know BB had an option to come back, everything since then just seems like some a concerted effort to force BB to drop his own contract. You gotta be a special piece of garbage to make someone basically walk the gallows every night publicly like this.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
If Rutherford is being held to do this against his will, I don't think I even give Rutherford a pass here. He has been around the game how long? He's been involved with NHL in one way or another since like the 60s? At 73 if Aquilini walks in and tells me, "hey, this is what we are going to do to Bruce", I think I resign. Its highly unlikely he needs the money from the job.
I like your thinking. Either way it’s a mess and I feel bad for Nucks fans. (I have a soft spot for this team for some reason, :) ).

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I feel bad for Bruce and how things have been handled. I get it he’s employed and is getting paid but there also is a professional element to all this. Canucks organization stinks.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I feel bad for Bruce and how things have been handled. I get it he’s employed and is getting paid but there also is a professional element to all this. Canucks organization stinks.
Canucks are not professional obviously. Total joke. I’m not a Nucks fan but I do cheer for good people like Bruce. I hope Aquilini and Rutherford never find success ever again. You don’t treat people that way.

EDIT I’ve changed my avatar in support of fans and Bruce.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I heard that Tocchet’s contract at TNT is the holdup and it takes some time before he can leave, I doubt Bruce is being kept around as a big FU.

I do find it hilarious though how Rutherford didn’t even know Bruce was on a 2 year deal when he took the GM job. Then he bitches about BB’s ability to coach defense when he put together a roster that lacks good defensive players, and now Tocchet needs to come in to ”keep Miller in check” who senile Jim signed to that fat contract.

He’s lucky he inherited that Pens team and won cups. I really don’t like him. Never hear him being accountable for anything.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Tocchet must be desperate for a HC job because the deck is stacked against him in Vancouver. Fans & media are hating the mistreatment of Boudreau, and it won't be a warm reception for him as he enters our shitstorm.

I imagine he'll be tasked with turning the Canucks into a defense-first team to mitigate the gaping hole we have on defense. It'll be very interesting to keep an eye on how he handles JT Miller. Interesting times ahead.
The Canucks have a very favourable schedule the rest of the way. There’s a good chance they play .550ish hockey, ruin their draft stock more and instill confidence that Tocchet is anything but a horrible coach. He then gets signed to a deal in the off-season.

TLDR the Canucks are screwed either way

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I really think it came down to Aquilini NOT wanting to pay Boudreau for sitting at home . He is still paying Green. I think Rutherford would have fired him before this season BUT Aquilini said NO. Canucks have never had good ownership.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Maybe the Sens’ next guy. His family lives in the area and he would have probablt been hired in 2016 if Melnyk didn’t cheap out.
Toronto and St,Catherines is the Ottawa area, eh?

No they should hire someone like Babcock and get a nice ole coach bump and finish out of the Bedard lottery.
Babcock led that bereft of talent Leaf team to one of the best finishes for a last place team.
Willing for the pain?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
What's worse Bruce being treated like this
or
Neilson being asked to come out in a paper bag?

Popular coaches in bed situations/management

Bellefour20

Jan 25, 2021
Sunshine Coast, British Columbia
What's worse Bruce being treated like this
or
Neilson being asked to come out in a paper bag?

Popular coaches in bed situations/management
or
Neilson taking a leave of absence from coaching the Flyers for terminal bone cancer treatment, only to be refused back a couple weeks later and replaced. Bobby Clarke: "The Neilson situation - Roger got cancer - that wasn't our fault" "We didn't tell him to go get cancer. It's too bad that he did. We feel sorry for him, but then he went goofy on us."

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
This is down right shameful that the Canucks FO is doing this. At the very least, if they’re going to make a change and they already know that, let Boudreau go, promote Yeo to interim until Tocchet comes.

Boudreau doesn’t deserve to be dangling in the wind.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t get why Tocchet would want to walk into this situation mid-season, with each passing day it makes less sense for him to do it.

I don’t know enough about Allvin, but the perception reported about them is such that Rutherford still functions as the leads of hockey operations. The guy must be a pretty smooth talker because nothing he’s done suggests he’s responsible for the success he’s had. And everything he’s done with the Canucks has been the opposite of what he’s been fairly open about wanting to do.

The Canucks hired Boudreau because it’s what Aquellini wanted. It was done before hiring the front office. This is specifically why you don’t do that.

I give credit to Boudreau for still wanting to coach, but I don’t understand why he’s still doing this. What are we all doing here? The coach has no future, the players have no direction, the GM has no power, the president of operations has no plan, and the owner has no accountability. Or clue. It is complete dysfunction, and nobody seems keen to get any kind of control. That’s not even to say about things like Miller dressing down teammates and Hughes openly questioning the medical staff. Is this done in the name of tanking? If I didn’t know better, it could be.

I kinda feel the same about them that I do the Flyers, and this won’t happen, but every single person needs to go, no matter how new or old. Everyone. Front office, coaches, operations, scouts, business, players, medical. All of them. Yes, even the good ones. Yes, that includes Pettersson. It doesn’t make their good players bad, but they will not be part of the solution.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It's absolutely shameful what they're doing to this man

I don't know how anyone would want to work for an organization who treats their coach like this. Must be an awful environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad