Massive changes coming to Vancouver Canucks coaching staff Monday

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Firing Boudreau for f***ing Tocchet? This is definitely the Canucks I've seen for the past 10 years. Waste some MORE time "as the fans don't want to rebuild".

Canucks will never win anything during their Pettersson/Hughes/Demko timeline.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
So stupid of JR, if he just kept his mouth shut regarding his feelings for the HC, Boudreau would be perfect to keep for rest of this year. Bruce was loved by fans and his playstyle is helping massively with the tank, and he already has a mute GM, this is exactly what the architect needs to divert attention to the source of the rot, the owner. .... while covertly positioning the franchise to a more favorable draft position.

Now he's forced to bring in a new coach who will be motivated to win with what he has, see Torts in Philly. This franchise is utterly hopeless.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I doubt many many people will disagree with you. Bruce is a good man and doesn’t deserve this public humiliation. I almost think that Rutherford is being held to do this by Aquilini. If not, then I hope Rutherford gets the same humiliation. This is despicable.
Aquilini has done many stupid things, but this one is all Rutherford.

Aquilini was the one who hired Boudreau, gave him the option year and possibly, though we don't know it for sure, insisted that the option on Boudreau for this season be picked up by the club. Aquilini hasn't been one to publicly trash his management and coaches-on the contrary, he's the guy who tweets nonsensically positive things no matter what stupid things his coach and manager do.

Rutherford, on the other hand, has since last summer gone out of his way to make it clear that he's not connected with the Boudreau hiring, that Boudreau isn't his guy and he doesn't think much of him as a coach. It was Rutherford who last summer criticized the team's structure under Boudreau. It was Rutherford who publicly questioned whether they'd bring Boudreau back. It was Rutherford who came out in the press with a statement that he thought Boudreau was only hired for one season and that JR didn't know that Boudreau had an option on this season (a strange option where both had to exercise it.).

It was Rutherford who throughout has refused to endorse Boudreau, who was willing to say only that Boudreau is the coach for now. It is Rutherford, who hired his Pittsburgh underling as general manager, who has the connection with Tocchet.

While Aquilini may have refused last summer to pay for three head coaches (Green, Boudreau's payment if the team didn't exercise the option plus Boudreau's replacement) it is Rutherford who publicly undermined Boudreau and left him twisting in the wind for all to see as a lame duck who didn't have the confidence of team management. (As an aside, imagine coaching when the players know you're on the way out and that the coach's boss doesn't have confidence in him.)

Aquilini may be blamed for many things, but this cruel and counterproductive public undermining of Boudreau is all on Rutherford.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Just the way they manufactured Boudreau’s last game. Drag him around so he can take the losses against Colorado, Tampa, Florida, Oilers, etc and then fire him just before the new coach comes in and plays weaker teams (Chicago, Seattle who have never won against the Canucks, and Columbus) to make the coach look better. Not to mention we have a relatively easier schedule the rest of the way.

Bruce literally called them out for it in the post game comments.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Just the way they manufactured Boudreau’s last game. Drag him around so he can take the losses against Colorado, Tampa, Florida, Oilers, etc and then fire him just before the new coach comes in and plays weaker teams (Chicago, Seattle who have never won against the Canucks, and Columbus) to make the coach look better. Not to mention we have a relatively easier schedule the rest of the way.

Bruce literally called them out for it in the post game comments.

Also hillarious that the Canucks haven't posted Bruce's postgame comments on their website or in twitter whereas they do for every other game. Cowards!

JasonDemersWasOkay

F Utah and anyone who roots for them
Nov 14, 2018
Has there ever been another time when a fanbase was ready to run a coach out of town before that coach even got officially hired?

I feel bad for Canucks fans because it's not gonna get better anytime soon. Tocchet is awful, takes forever to institute his "structure" and even when its in place it makes for boring, complacent and barely competitive hockey that is the definition of mediocre. Also if you're hoping OEL improves, good luck, his play fell apart because of differences with Tocchet as coach.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
it's a take on "whoomp there it is" song, he helped end their skid last season and had a winning streak to boot so he was honored by fans. Bruce is taking flak because the team sucks, but it's mostly down to management not standing by him, and saying he and the team need to try harder. He was emotional because he knows with this record and management rift he knows it could be one of his last games there and felt the fans love.

It is puzzling that the players won't stand with him in the press, there is literally nothing to lose by doing it, except showing leadership. Guess that's why Horvat up for grabs... He should be saying something more when the situation is this drastic.

It is not puzzling. What good would this do, other than cause more drama?

He was a coach for what?.. 82 games?

Going to the press to say..... idk what... would not be a positive leadership move.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Has there ever been another time when a fanbase was ready to run a coach out of town before that coach even got officially hired?

I feel bad for Canucks fans because it's not gonna get better anytime soon. Tocchet is awful, takes forever to institute his "structure" and even when its in place it makes for boring, complacent and barely competitive hockey that is the definition of mediocre. Also if you're hoping OEL improves, good luck, his play fell apart because of differences with Tocchet as coach.
Someone on our board said it best in my mind:

Tocchet is coming in to sort out the lockerroom. I don't think he's the team's on ice answer by a long shot. There's work to do internally, the kind of work you need a tough as nails guy to come in and do. He won't be with the organization long.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
There was a reason none of us Pens were sad to see JR go there and then when he hired Allvin as well. It’s a shame JR didn’t hire away more debris from the Pens that needed to be dumped.

Lol Gonchar. He and Sullivan both advocated for Jack Johnson to JR.

Good lord, I feel legitimately sorry for you lot.

What’s next? Mark Recchi to run the powerplay? Dan Bylsma and Mike Johnston are also free.

Recchi has a medical practice to run.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Canucks better a) somehow still make the playoffs with the new coaching staff or b) be so awful they get Bedard because otherwise this saga that has done nothing but damage to the Canucks was pointless.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Sigh, why can't it be Massive changes coming to Vancouver Canucks head office Monday. And the current owner needs to sell the team as soon as possible, in my opinion.

Canucks better a) somehow still make the playoffs with the new coaching staff or b) be so awful they get Bedard because otherwise this saga that has done nothing but damage to the Canucks was pointless.
They would probably bounced in four games if they somehow made the playoffs. Whats the point in that?

Maybe they’ll name JT Miller the next Captain of the Vancouver Canucks at the presser Monday. Then just roll Horvat out until the trade deadline. That’s be fun

Might not be a bad idea for the tank. You just helped us secure Bedard ;)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sigh, why can't it be Massive changes coming to Vancouver Canucks head office Monday. And the current owner needs to sell the team as soon as possible, in my opinion.

They would probably bounced in four games if they somehow made the playoffs. Whats the point in that?

Might not be a bad idea for the tank. You just helped us secure Bedard ;)

Playoff revenue for the owner. Owners love that shit even if its just 2 games

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
1674375131657.gif

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
They really waited until the easiest 3 game stretch of the year to hire their new coach.

Chicago and Columbus lmfao and the management really thinks Canucks fans are stupid enough to buy that 2 wins here means anything!

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
I want a "Bruce, there it is!" chant for Tocchet's first home game. Come on, Nucks' fans...make it happen!
This is actually the most curious thing, we all knew what we would be getting this weekend with Bruce. What will we get for the first game of the new coach...

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Where the heck is the GM in this mess? I actually thought Rutherford was the President and GM up until just now.

Patrick Alvin. I never hear his name in all of this. Can someone give me the lowdown on why he isn’t even mentioned as part of the problem? Doesn’t he control the fate of the coaching staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad