Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I like the tier approach too because there's not a real meaningful difference between the 9th and 14th or 23rd and 27th for example in my mind. And my preferences may shift on any given day so 11 today could be 15 three months from now or whatever. But tiers are pretty solid for me.

I think I have roughly four groupings for the movies. Could probably break down a little further, but this is a pretty solid framework for me. Truly coincidental that it split mostly symmetrically. Wasn't intentional.

There's about 8 that I think are pretty good to great and I'd be happy to rewatch anytime.

There's another 8 that I like and would circle back to eventually. (Fine, but more positive).

There's 7 that are flawed in notable ways but still have some moments. (Fine, but more negative).

Then there's a bottom 8 that are completely forgettable or outright bad.

I haven't fully factored in the TV shows but my guess is that Loki would be in group one, WandaVision in group two and the rest spread out in some way in the bottom half.

Yeah I'm probably a little bigger two middle tiers, smaller at the bottom and top groupings. I put some MS Paint lines haha on my rankings I posted in the Quantumania thread. It's a kinda fun thing to do. I agree with you that they sometimes change and flow. I had infinity war ahead of endgame for a long time, but recently rewatching the lead-in to the final battle always gets me and is just so well done that I've moved it up. It may reverse again in time. The only reason I ever got into the MCU is cause of Guardians though, so it always retains my #1 spot. I kinda disliked the MCU till then hence why CA1, IM1+2+3, Thor 1 + 2, even Avengers is much lower on my list than other lists probably, while I have warmed up to some of them in recent years upon rewatching on D+.

Attachments

• MCU Rankings 2.png
    MCU Rankings 2.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 7

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
I am now rewatching Captain 2 and 3 (can't watch the first one, which is lower tier to me, but I realize that my lower tier is a lot larger than yours... I'd count 15 movies and shows that I'd rank lower than The Incredible Hulk, which was barely ok - and I know, last on many lists, something I don't understand).

I'll report when I'm comfortable. :)

For sure, the Netflix shows (DD, JJ and Punisher) would rank real high on this for me.

I always rank The Incredible Hulk last out of spite because I don't think it should count as a part of the MCU. I'm willing to reevaluate my stance if they can somehow explain it away as taking place in a different multiverse from MCU Prime/199999/616 or whatever they are calling the "main" storyline we've been following.

I debated on including the Netflix shows on my chart, but they aren't technically apart of the MCU cannon so I left them off. Even though we got the same DD in She Hulk/No Way Home and the same King Pin in Hawkeye, they don't appear to actually be connected to their stories from Netflix. I would agree though, DD and Punisher would be in my upper half of "I'd watch these again".

Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I always rank The Incredible Hulk last out of spite because I don't think it should count as a part of the MCU. I'm willing to reevaluate my stance if they can somehow explain it away as taking place in a different multiverse from MCU Prime/199999/616 or whatever they are calling the "main" storyline we've been following.

I debated on including the Netflix shows on my chart, but they aren't technically apart of the MCU cannon so I left them off. Even though we got the same DD in She Hulk/No Way Home and the same King Pin in Hawkeye, they don't appear to actually be connected to their stories from Netflix. I would agree though, DD and Punisher would be in my upper half of "I'd watch these again".
Why should it not be part of the MCU? Just because of who plays Banner? Thunderbolt Ross is in it etc.

From what I understand, unless something changes again, the Netflix shows are cannon but functionally not part of the MCU as they didn't change anything in the bigger MCU universe. The shows remained mostly in New York and led up to the Defenders series. On top of Daredevil and Kingpin now appearing in the MCU proper, both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are rumored to be next to make the jump as both actors have been hinting at it. In the end the Netflix shows being in the MCU or not does not change much to the story.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Why should it not be part of the MCU? Just because of who plays Banner? Thunderbolt Ross is in it etc.

From what I understand, unless something changes again, the Netflix shows are cannon but functionally not part of the MCU as they didn't change anything in the bigger MCU universe. The shows remained mostly in New York and led up to the Defenders series. On top of Daredevil and Kingpin now appearing in the MCU proper, both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are rumored to be next to make the jump as both actors have been hinting at it. In the end the Netflix shows being in the MCU or not does not change much to the story.

I feel like they cherry picked it to include the parts they wanted from it and then ignored the rest. It came out in 2008 which is the same year as Iron Man and that is supposed to be the "start" of the MCU. At that point why not also include the Eric Bana Hulk movie?

To me those two Hulk movies are in the same group as the first two Spiderman franchises. While technically Marvel products, they weren't originally connected to the MCU, but they could be included as a part of the multiverse storyline.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I feel like they cherry picked it to include the parts they wanted from it and then ignored the rest. It came out in 2008 which is the same year as Iron Man and that is supposed to be the "start" of the MCU. At that point why not also include the Eric Bana Hulk movie?

To me those two Hulk movies are in the same group as the first two Spiderman franchises. While technically Marvel products, they weren't originally connected to the MCU, but they could be included as a part of the multiverse storyline.
But that hulk movie was in that it even has an after credit scene with Tony stark

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
best case is he goes the Chris beard route and "goes to counseling" and pays a fine and everyone tries to forget

but yeah, not a good look

also lol at all the people accusing the woman of making it up. "DON'T BELIEVE ALL WOMEN" well maybe we should let the justice system take place but that doesn't mean majors is innocent or even guilty

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
That's wild. I mean if he did it (and from what I've seen, it seems pretty much confirmed), he deserves the consequences. But crazy to think about the implications to ths MCU going forward. Went all in on Kang/Majors as the next big bad. I get that with a multiverse you can easily go with a Kang that looks different but that post credits scene from Ant-Man you had a council of Ricks style gathering of every Kang all played by Majors.

Aside from the MCU, sucks to see a talented and charismatic guy do something awful like this.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
So who is the favorite to be cast as Kang now?

I think John David Washington should go take a superhero movie role like this. I think he is more of a handsome guy with 7/10 acting talent which is a good range to just become a populist actor and lock up that ca$h.

I would have loved to see the Rock go heel for this but he may have blown his superhero load with Black Adam

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I think John David Washington should go take a superhero movie role like this. I think he is more of a handsome guy with 7/10 acting talent which is a good range to just become a populist actor and lock up that ca$h.

I would have loved to see the Rock go heel for this but he may have blown his superhero load with Black Adam

Plus The Rock has extremely limited range. Hard pass.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ok was not sure what people were talking about at first as I don't see a post about Major being arrested, I had to look it up. Dumb move by him...sad that he thought violence would be a solution.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So who is the favorite to be cast as Kang now?
Anthony Anderson or Faizon Love, the later was awesome as replacement Stringer Bell (look if up, it's worth it).

The Rock could maybe do Ben Grimm/Thing or Saquatch if they ever do an Alpha Flight movie. Other than that, no Marvel.

I'm not generally a fan of his movies but the Big Trouble In Little China sequel/revival with him would've actually been a wonderful idea.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I may have posted here already but the MCU is fairly cooked.

The way to revive it is to take a year off, and work on getting the A-List characters right. Which means X-Men and Fantastic Four. And for X-Men stay far away from Dark Phoenix. Third time is not a charm. A good soft way to bring the X-Men into the story would be the geopolitical stuff between Wakanda and Genosha, and have Rogue start as a heel and get Carol Danvers' powers, leading to Monica as Captain Marvel (the most popular incarnation from the 80s Avengers).

Personally, I think Ghost Rider with Danny Ketch set in NYC, Black Cat, and Alpha Flight are all properties that could work.

Marvel got really lucky with Guardians because the book was not popular in North America.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Chaudhry goes on to say there is video footage from the vehicle where the alleged incident took place, witness testimony from the driver and onlookers and two written statements from the woman recanting the allegations.

Sounds pretty confident.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Also saying the women who filed the complaint has taken it all back.
Yeah I saw that too. Not that I want to witch hunt Majors, given that I've become a fan of his, but just because she recanted doesn't mean it didn't happen. A lot of people online are acting like he's already exonerated but this is an unverified statement from his attorney and victims often recant just because they don't want harm to befall someone they care about. Add in celebrity and attending pressure/coercion from all kinds of sources plus pressure of public scrutiny, it's not out of the question that she may be too afraid to continue down this road.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I for one am shocked that the internet has accused him before the details of the situation have come to light.

With that said, if I was a film studio and casting for a central role which will appear in several films, I'd probably pick a more reputed actor with a clean record established over at least a few decades but then again they cast Brolin as Thanos and he also has been accused of doing something similar in his past lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad