Movies: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion - Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Rocket's backstory, the High Evolutionary and Adam Warlock. I have some decent hope this will end the trilogy well.
Hate seeing Guardians wrap up, Hopefully a few will end up in other movies. Rocket can be part of Thor's ensemble, especially since most of them like the Warriors 3 and Executioner, etc. have already been killed off. Have not seen the most recent one, in no hurry to see that based on what I have heard. Did ANYONE want to see Natalie Portman as a female Thor?

Reactions: Guardian17

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Hate seeing Guardians wrap up, Hopefully a few will end up in other movies. Rocket can be part of Thor's ensemble, especially since most of them like the Warriors 3 and Executioner, etc. have already been killed off. Have not seen the most recent one, in no hurry to see that based on what I have heard. Did ANYONE want to see Natalie Portman as a female Thor?

Not especially but she was far from the worst thing in that movie.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So rumor is that Ben Affleck is coming back to Marvel but not as Daredevil but as Dario Agger who is the "present day" CEO of Roxxon which we have seen in various MCU movies on signs and on some of the TV shows like Agent Carter etc.

He is usually linked to Thor as he is leader of the Dark Council that wants to rule the Ten Realms of Asgard.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So rumor is that Ben Affleck is coming back to Marvel but not as Daredevil but as Dario Agger who is the "present day" CEO of Roxxon which we have seen in various MCU movies on signs and on some of the TV shows like Agent Carter etc.

He is usually linked to Thor as he is leader of the Dark Council that wants to rule the Ten Realms of Asgard.

Maybe we will see him in season 2 of Loki? IIRC they teased Roxxon in season 1

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Apparently Ma Dong-Seok's agency has listed Eternals 2 as one of his upcoming projects.
I hate to trash on The Eternals because it was a Kirby thing but honestly when Marvel Comics peaked commercially second half of the Jim Shooter Era and then into the early 90s, no one cared about this team.

It wasn't even supposed to be part of canon.

Marvel/Disney tried to be slick because of the Fox, Sony, and Netflix issues and downplay the importance of X-Men/Fantastic Four/Midnight Sons/Daredevil/Punisher/etc.

That's their bread and butter and what got them to beat DC. They also got cocky with Guardians, another series no one really cared about after the late 70s. That franchise is an outlier in that the whole "we're going to make fun of ourselves and wink and meme at the audience while we fight intergalactic threats" worked so they think it should be standard formula.

The audience is getting tired of the memeing and forced humor. Wakanda Forever I really enjoyed but even that had a little too much winking and memeing and forced one liners.

She-Hulk I never remember doing the hah hahs when she was the muscle in Fantastic Four.

Adam Warlock is a good start because he's a big part of Marvel's most popular era. I'd love to see an Alpha Flight mini series but Byrne hates them. Kraven has potential because he's never been adapted on the big screen.

Keep Magneto/Cyclops/Jean Gray as far away from the new X-Men as possible for at least two films and go with Mojo, Shiar Empire, Morlocks, Genosha, Hodge, Black Tom, or Juggernaut as potential villains.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I hate to trash on The Eternals because it was a Kirby thing but honestly when Marvel Comics peaked commercially second half of the Jim Shooter Era and then into the early 90s, no one cared about this team.

It wasn't even supposed to be part of canon.

Marvel/Disney tried to be slick because of the Fox, Sony, and Netflix issues and downplay the importance of X-Men/Fantastic Four/Midnight Sons/Daredevil/Punisher/etc.

That's their bread and butter and what got them to beat DC. They also got cocky with Guardians, another series no one really cared about after the late 70s. That franchise is an outlier in that the whole "we're going to make fun of ourselves and wink and meme at the audience while we fight intergalactic threats" worked so they think it should be standard formula.

The audience is getting tired of the memeing and forced humor. Wakanda Forever I really enjoyed but even that had a little too much winking and memeing and forced one liners.

She-Hulk I never remember doing the hah hahs when she was the muscle in Fantastic Four.

Adam Warlock is a good start because he's a big part of Marvel's most popular era. I'd love to see an Alpha Flight mini series but Byrne hates them. Kraven has potential because he's never been adapted on the big screen.

Keep Magneto/Cyclops/Jean Gray as far away from the new X-Men as possible for at least two films and go with Mojo, Shiar Empire, Morlocks, Genosha, Hodge, Black Tom, or Juggernaut as potential villains.
She's much more serious when she's in a team. It's her solo comic where things get more wacky.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bautista is stepping away from the Drax role. Understandably. Not sure how the character is in the comics vs rhe MCU but there is limited range aside from the comic relief he brings. Plus the whole makeup process compared to cgi suits that hulk/Ironman get must be frustrating. 4 hours a day to put on and take off the makeup for each shooting day total is a pain.

I respect that he wants to do more varied roles in films unlike the Rock and even Cena. Cena more open to comedy roles whereas Bautista wants more serious stuff and is willing to take supporting roles with good co stars. Give up some money for the role.

The Drax role at least gets him name recognition so that maybe there is some carry over with fans to watch him in other films.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
We are definitely past peak Marvel in terms of movie grosses. That took place between 2016 - 2019. Recent movies like Dr. Strange, Thor and Black Panther started strong at the box office started off strong at the box office but petered out rather quickly with multipliers that were not particularly impressive. Significant blame can be given to the mediocre lazy scripts and some questionable decisions made for these movies (ie. having Suri become the Black Panther).

By my count, there will be 9 superhero movies released in theatres this year with at least 4 of those being Marvel by my count...if we include the animated Spiderman movie. That doesn't include all the Marvel tv series that will be on Disney Plus this year either. Out of the 9, I suspect a couple will bomb, a few will underperform/break-even and a few will be hits. Right now, the surest thing to become a hit in my mind is Guardians 3 and the new animated Spiderman movie. Likely duds will probably be stuff like Kraven and Blue Beetle.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We are definitely past peak Marvel in terms of movie grosses. That took place between 2016 - 2019. Recent movies like Dr. Strange, Thor and Black Panther started strong at the box office started off strong at the box office but petered out rather quickly with multipliers that were not particularly impressive. Significant blame can be given to the mediocre lazy scripts and some questionable decisions made for these movies (ie. having Suri become the Black Panther).

By my count, there will be 9 superhero movies released in theatres this year with at least 4 of those being Marvel by my count...if we include the animated Spiderman movie. That doesn't include all the Marvel tv series that will be on Disney Plus this year either. Out of the 9, I suspect a couple will bomb, a few will underperform/break-even and a few will be hits. Right now, the surest thing to become a hit in my mind is Guardians 3 and the new animated Spiderman movie. Likely duds will probably be stuff like Kraven and Blue Beetle.
Think the short turnaround time from theatres to streaming will have an impact on it as well.

If you haven’t seen it within 4-6 weeks you are then only a couple more weeks away from being able to watch it from home and unless the reviews and word of mouth are great you’re probably going to defer to watch it from home.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Think the short turnaround time from theatres to streaming will have an impact on it as well.

If you haven’t seen it within 4-6 weeks you are then only a couple more weeks away from being able to watch it from home and unless the reviews and word of mouth are great you’re probably going to defer to watch it from home.

This.

Since I signed up for D+ last year, I've held out for most of the Marvel movies that have come out on that platform. The only one I saw in theatres was Love and Thunder. Been avoiding the Wakanda Forever thread for spoilers :laugh:

Mind you, I might go see Quantumania in theatres because I'm quite excited for that one.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

That's actually really good casting. Fun if true.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Yes and no and you have to consider only in the last 5-6 months has theaters gone back to more or less normal everywhere. Before that they was limited seating or they where closed for months on end because of COVID, Heck Spider-Man No Way Home is #3 all time in the MCU with over $1.9B worldwide box office. So I guess time will tell as we head into 2023 and some highly anticipated MCU movies coming out if the $1B or more worldwide box office can happen regularly for them again. Heck, Doctor Strange 2 made about $300M more than the first one.

• Haha
Reactions: blueandgoldguy

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I got a new computer monitor and thought I'd watch whatever the best looking Marvel movie is and then I realized that it's probably Eternals and I'm not sitting through that again.

Ah well Black Panther 2 comes out in 10 days on streaming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad