Marner's Next Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

When does Marner sign?

• Total voters

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Dubas handed JT a $15,25 mil signing bonus cheque (highest in NHL history) to sign on the dotted line making JT the highest paid player in the NHL this year @$15.9 mil and the 2nd highest AAV at $11 mil behind only McDavid. Pretty hard for anyone to turn that down to come home and not play for your dream team.

So unless you believe Tavares is either the best or 2nd best player in the NHL, then Dubas got his man but showed little to no cost restraint in the process. If Dubas now hands Matthews a similar $11 mil AAV or greater contract that would mean Leafs would have the 2nd and 3rd highest paid players in the entire NHL.

Highest NHL AAV
1) McDavid
2) Matthews
3 Tavares

Now you start talking getting Marner signed & Nylander and if those deals are also >> player comparables based on actual stats performance. :help:

Pretty hard not to see Leafs are heading for Cap hell by making their players the highest paid in the NHL and still trying to ice a competitive Cup winning team, because of the fear a rookie GM is simply overpaying to get his contracts signed. Sure you have good players and that's great but there will be a steep price to pay somewhere and I'm suggesting its team strength and depth that will suffer and Leafs still haven't addressed their greatest need the Dcore.

Leafs are heading down a slippery slop salary cap wise, and will a greenhorn GM be aware of these ramifications is my greatest concern by paying 4 forwards ~ 1/2 your cap total available and then trying to pay the remaining 18 players the other 1/2 balance remaining?.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The biggest UFA signing in over a decade and people think Dubas should have signed him for 9 or 10 million? WTF? At least be realistic in your criticisms.
Can anyone find one single suggestion that JT was going to get less than 11 million per prior to July 1st?
And the signing bonus means squat. It brings down the avg cap hit. Every wealthy organization does this. Check out Philly's offer to Shea Weber. Insane signing bonus for the time.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
you said Dubas signed him for less than every other team offered , not that one team may have offered more
I cannot find a single report that any of the other teams offered the same or less. San Jose according to reports offered 2 million more per. Similar to the Isles.
So what did I make up exactly?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The only thing the JT contract did was cap Mathews cap hit at the same 11m even if he puts up 100 points this year. He was already going to get over 10 million as Buffalo saw to that.

Nylander will be signed this summer as he needs a contract and I believe he will be signed for less then most on here have projected, leaving Marner to resign. A smart offer would be to give him slightly more than his comparables right after we sign Nylander and Bob is your uncle we will have all under contract and can fill in the balance of our roster after having 8 players signed for at least 4 years moving forward.

Gardiner is the only contract needing to be address and I believe we resign him at a team friendly cap hit.

The only thing I have to add to this, is I hope like hell we extend Marner this summer. Giving him a year on Tavares wing, and then contract time is a mistake IMO. He could very well put up 90+ points next year... and then we are in trouble on the cap.

Reactions: dsred

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I cannot find a single report that any of the other teams offered the same or less. San Jose according to reports offered 2 million more per. Similar to the Isles.
So what did I make up exactly?
there was no confirmed report of what any other team offered , just a rumor that SJ offered more and based on this you made up crap saying every other team offered more

i'm still wondering however whether you

- put thought into the crap you post

or

- simply start posting and the shit flows out of you

i'm thinking it's the latter

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I believe the opposite is true and JT signing will drive up Leafs internal Cap hits and salaries, both directly by playing with him driving up other player stats, and indirectly by new team salary structures.

I think AM is more likely to come in equal or more likely above JT and set the new highest paid player on the Leafs, and will drive up Marner's contract as well.
That you think so has become clear, but not your reasoning. You're basically just hypothesizing doomsday scenarios where us acquiring the best FA to hit the market in ages on a below market value contract is somehow a negative.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The only thing I have to add to this, is I hope like hell we extend Marner this summer. Giving him a year on Tavares wing, and then contract time is a mistake IMO. He could very well put up 90+ points next year... and then we are in trouble on the cap.
giving him another year regardless of whether we signed Tavares would cost us money

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That you think so has become clear, but not your reasoning. You're basically just hypothesizing doomsday scenarios where us acquiring the best FA to hit the market in ages on a below market value contract is somehow a negative.
how is JT at 11m below market value ?

11m makes him the 2nd highest paid player in the league and while he a heck of a player he isn't close to being the 2nd best player in the league

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Why would Marner have signed his contract this summer anyways? With or without getting Tavares, I see no reason why he would have signed when he has another year to prove himself.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

11m makes him the 2nd highest paid player in the league and while he a heak of a player he isn't close to being the 2nd best player in the league
This is the worst argument I keep seeing. You might be on to something if every player in the league had to sign new contracts every year but sadly that't not the case.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why would Marner have signed his contract this summer anyways? With or without getting Tavares, I see no reason why he would have signed when he has another year to prove himself.
sometimes looking at the security of 40m dollars over the next 6 years gets a players to sign on the dotted line

sure a player might be giving up millions but a bad injury or a sub par season and not signing early might cost him more

Reactions: frizzer1

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I said it once I will say it again, all three are basically agreed. The figures are as follows..... Matthews, 12 million, Marner 8.5 million and Nylander 6.5 million. In my opinion, it could ruin the franchise as I think only Marner is a real NHLer. Matthews and Nylander should just be traded.

But lets see how it all turns out, I think Harold Ballard and Clancy are ready to howl over these contracts. I can almost hear them. Get Matthews and Nylander on cheap contracts and trade them, one is a dove and the other one is an injury ready to happen.

Anyone hear of a guy named Josh Donaldson... Well his distant cousin for sure is Auston Matthews. Both are never going to play an entire season ever again.

Remember, you heard this here first.

Matthews.... eats badly and trains worse. I would not hang my hat on this guy, if I was Dubas, but hey, I am not Dubas.

Don't worry buddy I think we'll all remember where we heard this from.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This is the worst argument I keep seeing. You might be on to something if every player in the league had to sign new contracts every year but sadly that't not the case.
Kuch just signed for 1.5m less , is that a good argument or does that example not count either ?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
You know the difference between RFA and UFA right?
Also the huge disparity in how different states/province's tax players is going to start causing problems.

Hopefully at some point the cap hit will be applied after tax so teams in certain states don't get a massive advantage.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If you look at comparable players to Tavares, that is forwards at an elite level going into their UFA contract, and what they get in cap percentage, he's clearly below average. While Kucherov signed for even less, he also bought RFA years and plays for a team in a state with favorable taxes. Even so, he got tremendous value. More than one player can be below average however, so that doesn't necessarily refute what I said about Tavares. That would be kind of like trying to refute that Tavares is an above average center by pointing out that McDavid is even better.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

11m makes him the 2nd highest paid player in the league and while he a heck of a player he isn't close to being the 2nd best player in the league

It isn't and now the slippery slope begins with re-signing AM and MM to their new deals using JT contract as an escalator for Leafs salary cap cost.

If AM gets =or> JT then Leafs will have #2 and #3 highest AAV cap hit players in the league. Then MM will use AM contract and get a % less (ie 80% of Matthews contract = $8.8 mil AAV) similarly how Draitsaitl's agent used McDavid as the teams pay scale and got Leon a % of that deal, and that will bring Marner into the top 10 highest as well and into the $8 mil range.

A year from now its quite possible that Leafs will be trying to ice a cup competitive team having 3 of the highest top 10 AAV players in the NHL counting against their team salary cap.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It isn't and now the slippery slope begins with re-signing AM and MM to their new deals using JT contract as an escalator for Leafs salary cap cost.

If AM gets =or> JT then Leafs will have #2 and #3 highest AAV cap hit players in the league. Then MM will use AM contract and get a % less (ie 80% of Matthews contract = $8.8 mil AAV) similarly how Draitsaitl's agent used McDavid as the teams pay scale and got Leon a % of that deal, and that will bring Marner into the top 10 highest as well and into the $8 mil range.

A year from now its quite possible that Leafs will be trying to ice a cup competitive team having 3 of the highest top 10 AAV players in the NHL counting against their team salary cap.
So... just how many times will you repeat the same argument while addressing none of the criticism?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kuch just signed for 1.5m less , is that a good argument or does that example not count either ?

The better your GM is at negotiating Cap value contracts the better your chances for a Cup will be, and vice versa in terms of competitiveness as a result of overspending on your own players.

TB one of Leafs biggest hurdles is a perfect example.

Stamkos @ $8.5 mil + Kuch @ $9.5 mil + Hedman ($7.8 mil ) = 3 best players including Norris, Rocket and Hart level players and 100 point scorers for $25.8 mil cap.
vs
Tavares @$11 mil + Matthews ~@ $11 mil + Marner @~$8.5 mil = 3 best players for $30.5 mil cap.

So TB have more proven talent with guesstimate ~ + $5 mil additional extra cap space and better cap usage with #1C + #1W + #1Dman.

Pretty clear who will have a huge advantage here in short order if spending patterns continue for both teams.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nylander will be signed, then Matthews, and if there is enough left they'll sign Marner.

What else does anyone suggest?

Maybe someone has to take a hometown discount and be a team first player.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
you said Dubas signed him for less than every other team offered , not that one team may have offered more
Islanders and The Sharks both offered more and they were the only offers he was considering. Islanders offered more in both average and years and he took our lower offer.

Reactions: Eb

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I believe the opposite is true and JT signing will drive up Leafs internal Cap hits and salaries, both directly by playing with him driving up other player stats, and indirectly by new team salary structures.

I think AM is more likely to come in equal or more likely above JT and set the new highest paid player on the Leafs, and will drive up Marner's contract as well.
Seriously we signed a UFA elite number 1 center for 11m per it capped Mathews possible amount as they are on the same playing field in terms of worth. Marner has nothing to do with JT signing as Marner was going to play with Mathews and would be getting a lot more points either way this coming season. Out cap structure is even more entrenched not less since signing JT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad