Marner's Next Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

When does Marner sign?

• Total voters

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
how is JT at 11m below market value ?

11m makes him the 2nd highest paid player in the league and while he a heck of a player he isn't close to being the 2nd best player in the league
Well technically if you don't believe his last team actually offered higher than 11MM, it was an 8 year offer which is higher. They set the market price

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
there was no confirmed report of what any other team offered , just a rumor that SJ offered more and based on this you made up crap saying every other team offered more

i'm still wondering however whether you

- put thought into the crap you post

or

- simply start posting and the **** flows out of you

i'm thinking it's the latter

My reporting on what I am reading is not me "Making-Up Crap".

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
sometimes looking at the security of 40m dollars over the next 6 years gets a players to sign on the dotted line

sure a player might be giving up millions but a bad injury or a sub par season and not signing early might cost him more

Exactly.
If Marner or Matthews don't sign now and one or the other suffers a significant injury it would be a disaster for them.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I think they'll have to bridge 1 of Mitch or Willy and sign the other to a longer term deal. Goes without saying Matthews gets a long deal. Once the bridge contract is up, they'll have to trade either Mitch or Willy. Doesn't really matter which one they bridge.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
If you look at comparable players to Tavares, that is forwards at an elite level going into their UFA contract, and what they get in cap percentage, he's clearly below average. While Kucherov signed for even less, he also bought RFA years and plays for a team in a state with favorable taxes. Even so, he got tremendous value. More than one player can be below average however, so that doesn't necessarily refute what I said about Tavares. That would be kind of like trying to refute that Tavares is an above average center by pointing out that McDavid is even better.
Man. Mix drop post

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
if he has a,

60-70 point season 6mill
70-80 point season 7mill
80-90 point season 8mill

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I was listening to the Leafs Report podcast a while back and Mirtle was saying that he didn't think Marner's contract will be signed this offseason and that he would most likely be betting on himself. I'm wondering what everyone else thinks because imo he's the trickiest to gauge. Especially if we go by early reports about how he was looking for Eichel money. Just wanted to see when everyone thinks he'll sign and what his potential cap hit will be.

Man...is Marner betting on himself or betting on Tavares? Tavares made some of his past wingers with Isles pretty wealthy.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Marner wanting Eichel money a franchise potential #1C is not happening.

Eichel and Matthews are comparables not Marner.

His 69 points are not getting him more than $7 mil so he will have to wait and bank on himself and sign later rather than sooner. If Mitch has a big year his stats propped up playing with all-star C JT all year, might see him in Leon Draisaitl territory range as a comparable contract.

I agree...but I still think Draisaitl as an RFA is overpaid at $8.5 million, despite being a centre...Kucherov is only getting paid $1 million and is alot more impactful.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If Lou Lam was still the Leafs GM then JT would still be here because it was Location, Location, Location and playing for his childhood team not GM that drove that outcome. No other team could offer JT his hometown and fulfill a childhood dream so it didn't matter how much money they offered as they couldn't offer what he truly desired..

Despite the hometown discount Dubas still made JT the highest paid player in the NHL (Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps) this up coming season by giving him $15.9 mil :eek:(CBA max allowable ) in actually salary and 2nd highest in AAV @ $11 mil (per term).

That is exactly why I'm nervous about Dubas, in hopes he doesn't continue to follow this strategy with the 3 Amigos. Its one thing to toss everything on the table to recruit a prized UFA, but much different situation when you have controllable RFA players (without arbitration rights). With RFAs the team has the leverage and with UFAs the market has the leverage and the player controls the destination.

That's such nonsense with a flare for the dramatics...JT's cap hit is still $11 million...so what if the Leafs have the money to give him those bonuses up front? If there was no salary cap, where do you think all that money would be spent? On players! JT got security from the Leafs as his contract is lockout and buyout proof. And JT was a UFA for the umpteenth time with multiple teams bidding for his services.

If Lou Lam was here, Garth Snow might still be the GM of the Isles with Weight being the coach...JT likes both of them ALOT and might have stayed with the Isles.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Post a link to any report/rumor that says T-Bay , Dallas and Boston offered more than us like you claimed .
Now you are back-tracking here. You are confirming the Islanders and San Jose offered more? You stated I should not go by these reports.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Ever notice the Dubas doubters now have done a 180 and say Tavares was always going to the Leafs because it was his childhood team? Where the f*** were these predictions the week leading to July 1st. NO ONE said that. NOw we are not going to give Dubas credit because it was such a slam dunk? Having old Lou doing a presentation on the Leafs behalf scares me. Dubas gave the absolute best presentation.
The week leading to July 1st I kept asking everyone why they were still saying Islanders 90% + will sign Tavares. Not a single person stated it was a slam-dunk he's going to the Leafs.
Lou is the last guy you want to try to charm an elite UFA. He did that with a bigger finacial offer in Long Island and failed miserably despite the vast majority saying he was going to sign in Long Island.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Post a link to any report/rumor that says T-Bay , Dallas and Boston offered more than us like you claimed .
those three teams made presentations but were bypassed as JT had zero interest in them

however Sharks fall short in John Tavares sweepstakes
The Maple Leafs won the John Tavares sweepstakes Sunday, signing the 27-year old free agent to a seven-year, $77 million contract. In doing so, Tavares ended his nine-year tenure with the New York Islanders while breaking the hearts of Sharks fans who had envisioned him as a longterm replacement for Joe Thornton, who turns 39 on Monday.
Get Sharks news in your inbox. Sign up now for the free Sharks Report newsletter.
The Sharks were among the final teams on the list of squads that Tavares was considering after meeting with six organizations in Los Angeles during the NHL’s “listening period” for pending-free agents last week. Although Tavares said the choice eventually came down to the Maple Leafs and the Islanders, Wilson indicated that the Sharks were in the mix right until the end.
“I actually heard from John himself this morning, tremendously professional,” Wilson said. “We let them know that we were committed to whatever it would take to be able to have John come here.”
According to a report out of Canada, the Sharks offered Tavares a contract with an average-annual salary north of $13 million a year, a deal that would have made him among the league’s top-five highest-paid players.

and if that ain't enough for ya
https://www.tsn.ca/tavares-took-less-money-to-come-home-1.1128490
The tide began to turn on Thursday, the sirens from the shores of Lake Ontario pulling John Tavares closer to home.
Six teams sung for Tavares. They all struck a chord.
“Every team made a great case,” Tavares said during his introductory press conference in Toronto on Sunday. “As we got back from L.A., I just felt like my heart was in two places: where I’m from and the place that I’ve been for a long time, the place that made me the man I am.”
Two years ago, the Toronto Maple Leafs swung and missed on Steven Stamkos. They misread the play. They tried to sell Stamkos on all that Toronto had to offer as the self-proclaimed centre of the hockey universe, how his pockets could be lined with sponsorship dough.
The pitch was more low-key this time. It hit all the right notes.
There was a video. They laid down ice in Scotiabank Arena for just one day this summer and Mitch Marner played a starring role. Auston Matthews worked Tavares on the phone later in the week. Mike Babcock clearly defined Tavares’ role and optimal linemate in Marner.
“I think the most important part was presenting the players he was going to play with and be with every day on the team,” GM Kyle Dubas said. “I think our guys were very good in letting him know how we operate and what we could offer.”
Turns out, the Maple Leafs won on what they alone could offer.
The decision that turned the hockey world on its axis, with Tavares becoming just the second superstar in NHL history to leave his first team via free agency, boiled down to one boyhood photo.
Tavares himself sleeping in bed sheets adorned with Maple Leaf logos.
“It’s time to live my childhood dream,” Tavares said.
There is no place like home. It wasn’t about linemates, facilities, blind loyalty or dollars. Tavares left as much as $14 million on the table, since the San Jose Sharks were believed to have offered a seven-year, $91 million deal.
This was about being a fan again.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Now you are back-tracking here. You are confirming the Islanders and San Jose offered more? You stated I should not go by these reports.
still waiting for the links to the reports you said you were going by when you said T-Bay/Bos/Dal offered more than us ?

and no one can confirm anything because neither LL or Wilson has said what they offered , the only rumors and that's all they are was NY made a similar offer as us but with the extra year and SJ offered 13m

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
still waiting for the links to the reports you said you were going by when you said T-Bay/Bos/Dal offered more than us ?

and no one can confirm anything because neither LL or Wilson has said what they offered , the only rumors and that's all they are was NY made a similar offer as us but with the extra year and SJ offered 13m
When did I do that? I never mentioned them.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
When did I do that? I never mentioned them.
Leaf fever -
Dubas just got a franchise #1 C for less than any other team was offering.

6 teams made pitches/offers so who were you talking about when you made this comment if not the other 5 teams ?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You clearly thought the Leafs overpaid Tavares more than anyone offered and are back-tracking.
never said the Leafs over paid or underpaid , i merely don't agree that he took less than his comparable players and that we can use his deal as a way to get our 3 kids to take less than there comparables

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leaf fever -

6 teams made pitches/offers so who were you talking about when you made this comment if not the other 5 teams ?

I'm fearing the Leafs will soon be following down the same Edmonton model (McDavid & Draisaitl contracts) as comparables for Matthews and Marner, rather than they will be using the TB model, where it appears they're getting their high-end players signed to value added cap contracts.

- Leafs sign JT (84 points 16th in NHL scoring) to $11 mil AAV and TB resigns Stamkos (86 points 12th in scoring) to $8.5 mil (TB free cap +$2.5 mil)
- TB resigns Kucherov (100 points 3rd in NHL scoring) to $9.5 mil AAV and Matthews lands between Eichel @$10 mil and McDavid @ $12.5 mil AAV.
- TB re-signs Hedman (Norris trophy winning Dman and top goal scorer) to $7.85 mil and Marner uses Draisaitl as his comparable and comes in around $8.5 mil AAV.

Leafs very well might be paying Auston, Mitch and Willie ~ $25 mil combined (never mind JT) and that is the same as TB is paying their elite 3 of Stammer, Kuch and Hedman)

You can use other examples as well like Boston. Their top line of Marchand (85 points 13th in NHL scoring) @ $6.125 mil + Pastrnak (80 points 21st in scoring) @ $6.67 mil AAV & Bergeron (63 points in 64 games & 3 X Selke winner) @ $6.87 mil... Will the Leafs even get Nylander under contract long-term at these value added contracts of the Bruins top players?

Matthews and Marner may produce like Marchand and Pastrnak with 80+ points each but they will soon be doing it a ~$20 mil combined cap and not $12.8 mil of the Bruins players (Matthews himself cap wise might be closer to Marchand and Pastrnak combined) while the entire Bruins top line comes in at $19.66 mil.

If Leafs follow the Edmonton contract path their direct Div competition of TB and Boston alone are gaining a further Cap advantage with each Leaf re-signing.

TB top 3 @$25.8 mil vs Boston top 3 @ $19.7 mil vs JT+AM+MM for ~$30 mil combined. Ditto for Was (OV+Kuz+Back = $24 mil) or Pitts (Sid + Geno + Letang = $25.5 mil) other top Eastern Conference contenders and recent Cup winners. Leafs will likely be paying +$5 mil more in order to get similar offensive production and impact!!!.
TBay has a massive advantage over Edmonton and Toronto in taxes. That needs to be fixed in the next CBA.
Edmonton is just badly run. They aren't bad because of 2 high contracts. They have made horrible draft picks, signings and trades.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leaf fever -

You stated I was making up crap for saying teams offered more. You clearly did not know teams like the Sharks or Islanders offered more,, you disagreed with it.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
People need to step back from the ledge and wait and see what the big 3 will sign for. I would not be surprised to see 6/6 for both MM and WN. These $8.5/8 deals are just ridiculous. Other teams can sign there big star players to cap friendly deals, but because the Oilers can't that automaticly means that the Leafs can't either?
Lets just wait and see how this plays out and maybe the one poster here can stop the fear mongering by taking it easy on posting the same thing over and over and over again.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
and what does any of this have to do with Leaf Fever insisting T-Bay/Dal/Bos offered more than us ?

it really doesn't matter what other teams offered him more of offered him less

Babcock offered him something he wanted that other teams couldn't match and that is "pick your linemates"

JT took Hyman and Marner

so all the LeaFlanders can finally stop whining about Babcock playing favourites and holding Matty back, so yes an NHL top 10 NHL centre knows how to butter his bread just like a an NHL knows how to put together an NHL line.

Mitch however many of you think it's crazy, needs to be signed for 8 years sooner rather then later, 8.5 sounds like the right number, in 3 years it's all going to be about "how in the world did we ever get this guy to sign so cheaply?"

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
it really doesn't matter what other teams offered him more of offered him less

Babcock offered him something he wanted that other teams couldn't match and that is "pick your linemates"

JT took Hyman and Marner

so all the LeaFlanders can finally stop whining about Babcock playing favourites and holding Matty back, so yes an NHL top 10 NHL centre knows how to butter his bread just like a an NHL knows how to put together an NHL line.

Mitch however many of you think it's crazy, needs to be signed for 8 years sooner rather then later, 8.5 sounds like the right number, in 3 years it's all going to be about "how in the world did we ever get this guy to sign so cheaply?"

WTF?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad